Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook: NFL Scouts Shine on Top Under-the-Radar Rookies - Jaquan Johnson

YoloinOhio

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2851550-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-nfl-scouts-shine-on-top-under-the-radar-rookies

After a week of conversations, here are five under-the-radar rookies 

NFL scouts are impressed by:

Jaquan Johnson, DS, Buffalo Bills

Scout's Take: "This one surprised me because he just seemed too small, but his physicality and experience show up on the field. Now we need to see him against 1s and not 3s."

Sixth-round picks aren't even expected to make the team in most cases, but rookie Jaquan Johnson has looked very good in the preseason and is likely to earn a big role as a nickel defender and special teams ace. He's not close to replacing Micah Hyde as the starting strong safety, but with more teams running six and seven defensive backs regularly, Johnson has value thanks to his ability to play both safety spots and even some nickel cornerback. 

He also brings immediate value as a tough special teams player. To be a depth safety, you better be willing and able to get dirty on fourth down, and that's something Johnson has done very well throughout the preseason.

Having too many promising players before the cut down, is a nice problem to have.  For a number of years, we were relegated to watching the cuts from other teams in hopes of adding much needed talent.  I like this circumstance much better.  It's hard to find much wrong with Beane's work at this point.  Right now, I'm guessing that picking up a punter from waivers is near the top of Beane's list.

One thing I noticed about J. Johnson, though, is he is slow.  In last nights game he was out flanked and beat to the outside on a couple of occasions.  His lack of speed to cut off the angle and make the tackle was pretty apparent.  Then again that's why he went where he did in the draft.......his athletic numbers were all on the low side

6 minutes ago, Estro said:

One thing I noticed about J. Johnson, though, is he is slow.  In last nights game he was out flanked and beat to the outside on a couple of occasions.  His lack of speed to cut off the angle and make the tackle was pretty apparent.  Then again that's why he went where he did in the draft.......his athletic numbers were all on the low side

I saw this as well. Great in traffic. Not so much in space.

12 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Having too many promising players before the cut down, is a nice problem to have.  For a number of years, we were relegated to watching the cuts from other teams in hopes of adding much needed talent.  I like this circumstance much better.  It's hard to find much wrong with Beane's work at this point.  Right now, I'm guessing that picking up a punter from waivers is near the top of Beane's list.

Amen.  Exactly what I've been thinking all summer.