The Human Side Of Cut Day

7 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

A lot of them will end up on practice squads here or elsewhere.  This is also the profession they chose knowing this is part of it.  I tend to be on the other end of the spectrum.  It’s part of the job

There are 10 PS squad openings on each time (minus maybe an exception or two like the Bills have for Wade) that's only 320 spots for those 1200 men. Let's say another 150 enter into the league during the season due to injuries (some veteran call ups or fill ins for the PS.) That's still 750 people whose NFL dreams are ending. 

It's a part of the business and they know what they are getting into but it is still a harsh reality that a lot of people will have to face today. 

Good thread Kirby. It is true that for a lot of these men this is the end of a dream that started when they were kids. Think about that for a second. No need to cry for them or feel terrible for them. They got farther than so many of us who started on the path and ventured down it to some length. The scene in Money Ball where the scout is talking to Billy Beane about ‘...it’s a child’s game and we all get told at some point we can’t play it anymore...’, that point is now for a lot of young men. Heads high to all of them. If you could persevere to get to this point you can make it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You missed the point. When someone says, “they make more in the months that they are there than I do in a year.” That’s when you talk about career length. 

I get it but at the end of the day there are bigger problems than a guy not making an NFL team.  I totally respect your take however

Edited by Johnnycage46

3 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I get it but at the end of the day there are bigger problems than a guy not making an NFL team.  I totally respect your take however

Not saying it’s a problem, we just miss the human element. We celebrate certain guys getting cut or making the team. We are all guilty of it. The reality is, for guys like Abraham Wallace, it sucks. This was his chance to provide for his family. He’s going to be starting over. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not saying it’s a problem, we just miss the human element. We celebrate certain guys getting cut or making the team. We are all guilty of it. The reality is, for guys like Abraham Wallace, it sucks. This was his chance to provide for his family. He’s going to be starting over. 

I get you.  And I am not a cold hearted SOB.  Just sometimes when bills (no pun intended) mount it's sometimes hard to care about people who chose sports over knowledge.

22 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I get you.  And I am not a cold hearted SOB.  Just sometimes when bills (no pun intended) mount it's sometimes hard to care about people who chose sports over knowledge.

If they choose books they may come out of school making $60k or $70k on a good day. If they get to the league the minimum is $480k. It’s not a tough decision for someone that’s at that level. It’s just a hard fall. If I were in that situation I would do the EXACT same thing and think 98% of people would do the same.

3 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

And I couldn’t care less. Some are good enough, some aren’t.

At least you made it this far.

Bye.

Is that really where you want to be when Jesus comes back?

10 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is what is so infuriating about guys like AB, all the talent in the world and he acts like a total nitwit.

Here's the thing........if he had "all the talent in the world" he would be playing on a guaranteed contract in the NBA or MLB.

The NFL is the most popular pro sports league in the US but with very, very few exceptions they aren't the best of the best pro athletes and that's why they are playing in such a cutthroat league.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

11 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Huh? Just because they know that this is part of it doesn’t mean that when the dream is doused it is any less sad. They are humans, giving everything they have for their dreams. I imagine that it really sucks when they get told by the organization that they gave their all for that it just wasn’t enough. All those bonds that they built are immediately snapped. 

“It’s part of the job”? Geez dude. Have a little humanity.

Some people are the, “I got mine so F off” types,  they have no compassion for others. 

There is more ways to make a living in football than just playing in the NFL. So they don’t make the team, they have made great contacts. Players can move on to coaching, training, etc..They can work their way up through  the ranks on the sidelines. Or they can move onto something else. Finish college, who knows. 

32 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

There is more ways to make a living in football than just playing in the NFL. So they don’t make the team, they have made great contacts. Players can move on to coaching, training, etc..They can work their way up through  the ranks on the sidelines. Or they can move onto something else. Finish college, who knows. 

The only positive that I can think of is that these guys are in their early to mid 20s...still have their whole life in front of them and time to do something else they want, whether or not it involves football.  Still have to feel bad that their childhood dream may be over.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Some people are the, “I got mine so F off” types,  they have no compassion for others. 

Either that, or they have the crab mentality. Can’t stand seeing someone else do something that they were never able to do, so they enjoy seeing them fail. I.e. “now they have to get regular jobs like the rest of us”. 

13 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here's the upside: Every one of them will always have the memory of having tried something that was their dream.  The smart ones will always cherish the moments when they can always say they tried to be a professional football player.  Some will use that to get a foot in the door at lucrative careers.  

One of the most successful cuts in an NFL camp is actor Ed O'Neil who went on to star in Married With Children & Modern Family.  

And Dean Cain.  As Marv said "We cut Superman!"