The Human Side Of Cut Day

42 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Would you feel bad if i lost my job tomorrow?  Highly doubtful.  

Most will get another opportunity.  Some won’t.  The smart ones finished college that they got a free ride to which most Americans do not will find work outside of football.  Sure it stinks but I won’t be sitting in my house shedding a tear.  

I'd hate to see anyone lose their job. I've been fired and it absolutely sucks. Wouldn't wish it on anyone

Unless it was because you were a complete jerk and did some shady stuff, then well ?

Edited by Captain Hindsight

29 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I'm of two opinions on this:

These guys put their bodies through A LOT.  And it's a harsh realty at a pretty young age to have your dream you've been pursuing for most all of your formative years abruptly end.  The reality is there's likely not a huge difference in caliber of player from the 50th to the 60th guy so it would be pretty crushing to be right there.

But yes, I see your POV too.  Most all these guys received enough college credits to be close to a degree if not finished with one while also getting room and board taken care of, not to mention there's likely an alumni network in place that tends to take care of athletes when it comes time to get jobs in the real world.  That being said, a lot of these guys wouldn't sniff a college classroom if it wasn't for football and schools (especially football factory schools) do a pretty iffy job of steering student athletes, especially ones lacking academic skills, towards actual degrees.  It doesn't take that much digging to find stories of guys who took 3 years worth of college credits they were steered into by teams only to realize they are still multiple years away from an actual degree.  And yes, people need to be responsible for their own decisions, but if no one in your family or social circle has been to college it can be hard to know what you don't know.

That’s fair too. I remember Robert Smith got discouraged from going to medical school by OSU.  I think there is a story that James Brooks was going to prison and paid of his sentence was leading to read because he was illiterate even though he graduated from Auburn university. 

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I'd hate to see anyone lose their job. I've been fired and it absolutely sucks. Wouldn't wish it on anyone

Unless it was because you were a complete ####### and did some shady *****, then well ?

Hopefully, the ones that don't make it on the football field, will see this for what it is...just a situation in their lives to grow from and not a failure. They can take this with them. Thats what life is all about.

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

A lot of them will end up on practice squads here or elsewhere.  This is also the profession they chose knowing this is part of it.  I tend to be on the other end of the spectrum.  It’s part of the job

While it is indeed part of the business of football we should remember that men's dreams and hopes end on cut day. It is what it is but the OP is merely reminding us that simple fact. 

This might be a silly question, but isn't there a league in the US below the NFL where the cut payers can play for less prestigious teams on smaller salaries? I find it hard to believe that a country the size of the US can only support 32 professional teams. English soccer has 92 professional teams, tiered in 4 divisions.

I can thank of plenty of major US cities which don't have an NFL franchise - off the top of my head, Birmingham, Charlotte, Columbus, Las Vegas, Nashville, Oklahoma City,  Portland, and so on. What do football fans do in those places?

Edited by bargepole

It's not all about the money.  It's  about the DREAM.  

Many of these guys have dreamed of playing the NFL since they were little boys.  They had some innate talent.  They trained hard.  And they became very good at their craft.  Just not good enough.  

For some of the guys cut, this will be the 2nd or 3rd year in a row that they almost made a roster or PS. 

It's hard to get that close to your dream but fall short.  

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, bargepole said:

I can thank of plenty of major US cities which don't have an NFL franchise - off the top of my head, Birmingham, Charlotte, Columbus, Las Vegas, Nashville, Oklahoma City,  Portland, and so on. What do football fans do in those places?

#1. Charlotte has an NFL team

#2. Birmingham, Columbus, Nashville, and OKC are firmly in college football territory. It is beloved. They don't lack for football.

#3. Las Vegas will have the Raiders shortly

#4. Portland, frankly, I don't think gives a damn.

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He was quite the star on his high school team in real life.  Here's his wiki page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_O'Neill

O'Neill was born into an Irish-American Catholic family in Youngstown, Ohio.[4][5] His mother, Ruth Ann (née Quinlan), was a homemaker and social worker, and his father, Edward Phillip O'Neill, was a steel mill worker and truck driver.[6] O'Neill attended Ursuline High School before transferring to Worthington High School and winning a state championship, earning the name Ed O'Winner and winning a football scholarship to Ohio University, where he majored in history, also joining the Mu chapter of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity.[7] O'Neill left Ohio after his sophomore year; he spent more time playing sports and partying than studying[7] and also feuded with his coach.

He transferred to Youngstown State University, where he was a defensive lineman. While an undergraduate, O'Neill pledged Delta Sigma Phi and was initiated into the Delta Sigma chapter there. Rumors abound that he was an avid partier.[6] O'Neill was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969 but was cut in training camp.[5][6][8] Later, on Married... with Children, O'Neill played a former high-school football star who had failed to make it big and constantly reminisced about his "glory days" at Polk High ("I once scored four touchdowns in a single game"). As part of this theme, former Pittsburgh Steelers great and Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw also made two guest appearances on the show. O'Neill was also a substitute social studies teacher at Ursuline High School before becoming an actor.[6]

Accomplished more as Al Bundy than all but a handful of players in NFL history.

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

And Dean Cain, cut by the Bills, I think before the first pre-season game.

Hate to say it but Gronk might have been the smartest. Lives off his endorsement deals and banks his NFL salary for the future. 

But he's faster than a speeding bullet and can leap over tall buildings in a single bound.

1 hour ago, bargepole said:

This might be a silly question, but isn't there a league in the US below the NFL where the cut payers can play for less prestigious teams on smaller salaries? I find it hard to believe that a country the size of the US can only support 32 professional teams. English soccer has 92 professional teams, tiered in 4 divisions.

I mean there's the arena football league.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh they can, and I work with one now. They don’t all have MBAs though. 78% of all NFL players are either broke or in financial distress within 2 years of their careers ending. They are all starting over and they aren’t all starting over at the top. 

78%? Wow! That number seems high but believable at the same time, if you know what I mean... 

Is the practice squad a certain set salary, or do players sign whatever deals they can? Does that count towards the salary cap?

In other words, could a team stash a guy by paying him something like $1 million to be on the practice squad, essentially creating a 54th roster spot in case of injury? I knwo other teams can poach them, but can't the original team activate him if they find out that's going to happen in order to keep him?

1 hour ago, bargepole said:

There are semi-pro teams around, I know Syracuse has one but quite frankly, I bet 90% of the population here does not know they exist since we also have SU.

https://www.syracusestrong.com/

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's not all about the money.  It's  about the DREAM.  

Many of these guys have dreamed of playing the NFL since they were little boys.  They had some innate talent.  They trained hard.  And they became very good at their craft.  Just not good enough.  

For some of the guys cut, this will be the 2nd or 3rd year in a row that they almost made a roster or PS. 

It's hard to get that close to your dream but fall short.  

That would probably be the hardest part. They were in a training camp, wearing Bills helmets (or whatever team). They played in 4 NFL games, against other NFL players in NFL stadiums. They got a paycheck of some kind from an NFL team, even if it wasn't huge $$. 

Then it's over, just as the regular season begins. So  close. They have to wonder "what if?" 

That must really, really suck. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Very sad day for many where they have to move on from a sport they love.  For some, it’s the only thing they know.

It's kind of sad if it's "the only thing they know."   Your statement is true, but given that they all went to college, and have a life, hopefully they picked up something useful outside of football.  A hobby, or something.   Many who didn't finish college could go to Tech school (if they have a hobby related to that), etc.  They have a lot of options.  

Another thought: perhaps getting cut is better than being a baseball or hockey player toiling at AAA for years on end for low pay and taking a bus to away games.  Now they can get on with their backup plan.  But again, don't quit if its your goal.  You could be the next Kurt Warner, or at least a backup on a team later this year or next.  

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

It's kind of sad if it's "the only thing they know."   Your statement is true, but given that they all went to college, and have a life, hopefully they picked up something useful outside of football.  A hobby, or something.   Many who didn't finish college could go to Tech school (if they have a hobby related to that), etc.  They have a lot of options.  

Another thought: perhaps getting cut is better than being a baseball or hockey player toiling at AAA for years on end for low pay and taking a bus to away games.  Now they can get on with their backup plan.  But again, don't quit if its your goal.  You could be the next Kurt Warner, or at least a backup on a team later this year or next.  

It is sad.  I've been there but I finished school and went on.  Many people I know just can't let it go.  

Some people, the only way they get into college, is because of their athletic ability.  I had to proof read a 3 page essay from a player on the football team.  He was at about a 3rd grade reading and writing level.  His entire 3 pages was a run on sentence...not a single punctuation.  I used to let him cheat off me because I felt bad for him...didn't matter if he studied his ass off...this was too much for him.

I've had friends that played at the big time schools.  They all told me on test days, just don't show up and you'll get a C.  One of them was a starting QB in the SEC and he had a mandatory group project due in a week.  It was a lab at night so he was going to have to miss practice.  He told his coach and he said "you're not missing practice, we'll take care of that project".  He got a B...didn't even do it.

I had a friend that couldn't let his minor league ball dream die.  He was drafted in the 7th round back in 2003.  He played until 2011, bouncing around between teams and even independent ball for a little while.  He was making about $15,000 a year.  He had a longtime girlfriend who gave him an ultimatum.  He chose her.

All kinds of people lose their jobs.  If you played one year in the NFL you made $500,000 at 23.  Good head start in life

I worked for a Buffalo company that let go 700 people in one day, all unannounced.  Long time ago.  Experience that

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...and you will work for 50 years. They may work for 3

Nobody said they shouldn't study in college and get an education WHILE playing football.  Maybe then if they get cut from a team on cut day they have some marketable skills for the real world.  Just a thought.  Most of life is a choice.  I totally understand that these guys sacrifice a lot but at the end of the day they are playing a kid's game and may have to live like the rest of us scrubs.

At least they had an opportunity.  In any profession there are those who will not make the grade.  You are only as good as your given talents and drive.  I do empathize with those that do not make the NFL but I will reserve aching for those who could not get over the final hill to become a doctor or lawyer or engineer.  Nice to have multiple abilities to tap but remember quite a few in society only have one real shot at something far less glamorous and financially rewarding.

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Nobody said they shouldn't study in college and get an education WHILE playing football.  Maybe then if they get cut from a team on cut day they have some marketable skills for the real world.  Just a thought.  Most of life is a choice.  I totally understand that these guys sacrifice a lot but at the end of the day they are playing a kid's game and may have to live like the rest of us scrubs.

You missed the point. When someone says, “they make more in the months that they are there than I do in a year.” That’s when you talk about career length.