Hauschka wants to help Carli Lloyd pursue an NFL career

StHustle

I hope the first thing he teaches her is his hard learned lesson on keeping your head on a swivel :wacko:

Bills kicker: Will help Lloyd, hope she goes for it

Q2QWK627DZEXZCCTPN4XYUE4VU.jpg

If U.S. soccer star Carli Lloyd pursues an NFL career, Stephen Hauschka wants to help however he can.

The Buffalo Bills place-kicker told ESPN on Thursday night he is "excited" for Lloyd, who went viral last week after a video of her kicking a 55-yard field goal during a Philadelphia Eagles-Baltimore Ravens practice led to multiple offers from NFL teams.

Hauschka, 34, played soccer at Middlebury College before transitioning to football, and said he can relate to Lloyd's consideration to make a similar career move.

"I saw the way she kicked that ball and she's obviously got a lot of talent," Hauschka said after the Bills' preseason finale. "It feels close to my heart because when I was 18, 19 years old, I was a soccer player and I had a dream of kicking footballs just for my Division III college team. I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity and I had a coach that showed me how to do it.

"If it's something she really wants to do, not only will I help her out -- if she wants it -- but I hope she goes for it. I do think it's possible to kick well in this league as a female. It's a very mental position, it's physical, it's technical and I think it could be done eventually."

Read Full Article

Seriously though, I think women playing in the NFL in any capacity is unrealistic simply because of the physical aspect. I understand there are woman out there built like men but it's just different when a male kicker is getting laid out than if it's a female the target of those same hits. I can't see this happening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If a woman plays anywhere in the NFL it will be as a PK.  But unless she can routinely hit 60 yarders, would be surprised if any team actually signed 1.  As much as the league tries to protect QB's and kickers, doubt that she wouldn't get cheap shotted weekly.  And a hit to her thigh could cause a career ending knee injury fairly easily.

Could see a female as an NFL PK or an NHL goalie, but she'd need to have a LOT of Jackie Robinson 's temperament and also be truly outstanding like he was.  And can't see a woman taking any other "big 4" league player role.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If a woman plays anywhere in the NFL it will be as a PK.  But unless she can routinely hit 60 yarders, would be surprised if any team actually signed 1.  As much as the league tries to protect QB's and kickers, doubt that she wouldn't get cheap shotted weekly.  And a hit to her thigh could cause a career ending knee injury fairly easily.

Could see a female as an NFL PK or an NHL goalie, but she'd need to have a LOT of Jackie Robinson 's temperament and also be truly outstanding like he was.  And can't see a woman taking any other "big 4" league player role.

Maybe a DH in MLB but again she would have to be a beast of a woman and a better slugger than the bulk of the men in the league.

4 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Maybe a DH in MLB but again she would have to be a beast of a woman and a better slugger than the bulk of the men in the league.

Any examples of women that might fill that role presently?

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

I hope the first thing he teaches her is his hard learned lesson on keeping your head on a swivel :wacko:

Bills kicker: Will help Lloyd, hope she goes for it

Q2QWK627DZEXZCCTPN4XYUE4VU.jpg

If U.S. soccer star Carli Lloyd pursues an NFL career, Stephen Hauschka wants to help however he can.

The Buffalo Bills place-kicker told ESPN on Thursday night he is "excited" for Lloyd, who went viral last week after a video of her kicking a 55-yard field goal during a Philadelphia Eagles-Baltimore Ravens practice led to multiple offers from NFL teams.

Hauschka, 34, played soccer at Middlebury College before transitioning to football, and said he can relate to Lloyd's consideration to make a similar career move.

"I saw the way she kicked that ball and she's obviously got a lot of talent," Hauschka said after the Bills' preseason finale. "It feels close to my heart because when I was 18, 19 years old, I was a soccer player and I had a dream of kicking footballs just for my Division III college team. I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity and I had a coach that showed me how to do it.

"If it's something she really wants to do, not only will I help her out -- if she wants it -- but I hope she goes for it. I do think it's possible to kick well in this league as a female. It's a very mental position, it's physical, it's technical and I think it could be done eventually."

Read Full Article

Seriously though, I think women playing in the NFL in any capacity is unrealistic simply because of the physical aspect. I understand there are woman out there built like men but it's just different when a male kicker is getting laid out than if it's a female the target of those same hits. I can't see this happening.

Can she punt ??

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

This is stupid, no, just no.

What’s so stupid about this? There are female kickers in every other level of organized men’s football in this country, including college D1. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

What’s so stupid about this? There are female kickers in every other level of organized men’s football in this country, including college D1. 

The kicking part is fine, getting blocked on a return not so much.

Edited by Seven-N-Nine
  • Like (+1) 2

Hey, if she can make field goals and wants to play, give her a shot. 

But when she gets knocked into kingdom come on a kick off return or punt block, it won’t be pretty. 

• Like (+1) 1

The people coming out and saying she can't because she's a woman are morons... I guarantee women's can kick just as well as men in Football. Women Soccer players have insane legs, just as good as the men kicking in the NFL today.  There is absolutely nothing a hypothetical woman can't do in the NFL kicking that a man can.

That said Carli Lloyds's age is more of a factor than her kicking... She's at the age where men and women begin to break down physically. She is less likely to be able to sustain her success because of that. But I'm all for her trying.

If women want to play and can do everything necessary, who the hell are you message board key board warriors to begrudge this woman who as an athlete has completed AND WON at the highest levels in the world.

Bunch of ignorant bozos who need to move out of their moms basements...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, MR8 said:

The people coming out and saying she can't because she's a woman are morons... I guarantee women's can kick just as well as men in Football. Women Soccer players have insane legs, just as good as the men kicking in the NFL today.  There is absolutely nothing a hypothetical woman can't do in the NFL kicking that a man can.

That said Carli Lloyds's age is more of a factor than her kicking... She's at the age where men and women begin to break down physically. She is less likely to be able to sustain her success because of that. But I'm all for her trying.

If women want to play and can do everything necessary, who the hell are you message board key board warriors to begrudge this woman who as an athlete has completed AND WON at the highest levels in the world.

Bunch of ignorant bozos who need to move out of their moms basements...

Ha. Ok you white knight. I don’t really see too many people saying she shouldn’t be allowed to do it. 

But, Are you going to be there to pick her dead carcass off the ground when she gets pulverized on a kick off return or there when she comes out of a coma when she’s knocked into the next dimension trying to tackle a KO returner next to the sideline?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I may be in the minority but I'm not ready to accept women in the nfl. now if they want to start a women's league, fine, but mixing women in to the nfl just doesn't seem right.

not saying she can't kick the ball through the uprights but taking hits like this from men just doesn't bode well.

KindheartedEnormousAlpineroadguidetigerb

8 minutes ago, dubs said:

Ha. Ok you white knight. I don’t really see too many people saying she shouldn’t be allowed to do it. 

But, Are you going to be there to pick her dead carcass off the ground when she gets pulverized on a kick off return or there when she comes out of a coma when she’s knocked into the next dimension trying to tackle a KO returner next to the sideline?

Have you seen the build of most Kickers? Have you seen the build of guys like Roscoe Parrish and Darren Sproles? Dudes are TINY... Assuming because she is a woman she's gonna get blown up and knocked out, again is just ignorant and stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dubs said:

Yeah right, I see girls take down armed gangs with no weapon.  Girls kick guys ass now, I watch it on TV all the time.

I see them punch guys clean out with one shot, so kickoff will be no problem.  They might lead the team in ST tackles because they can run faster also, I'm pretty sure.

Unfortunately the men have the power and will just hold them back.  I live in 'like what could beeeeee's", so it's my truth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1