Fitzpatrick officially named starter in Miami

HappyDays

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if Rosen ends up playing and does fairly well, is he not 0-2.  Here’s my crazy thought.  Let’s let their careers play out before we say how they turned out.  I mean I know we have a guy with a 67 qb rating and we should be puffing our our chests but there is a long way to go.  

I agree there is a ways to go.  We'll see.  Right now though it would seem Rosen may not have been the best pick.  I wonder if it's his attitude or something more on the physical side.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He is learning a new offense on an entirely new team.  And Fitz had numbers last year we kill for Allen to have.  Was it a bad sign that Allen couldn’t beat out Peterman (possibly the worst qb in the nfl) or that Matt Barkley (career 67 qb rating) has looked like the fair superior qb this preseason?

all of these guys have a long way to go and a lot of progress to hopefully make.  Jim Kelly wasn’t even in the nfl 2 years after college.  Aaron Rodgers didn’t leave the bench for his first 3 years.  Kurt Warner was stocking groceries.  Long, long way to go. 

Rookies are learning a new offense and they start.  Plus everyone knows that Fitz is a bridge QB at best and if you think the younger guy has anything, you go with him and let him develop, especially on a rebuilding team like Miami is.  It's a bad sign.

Edited by Doc

11 hours ago, Chemical said:

No worse than starting Nathan Peterman over Allen. 

Or starting Sam Bradford over Rosen last year. Look, coaches want to keep their jobs by putting a competitive team out there at the start of the season. GMs don't want their new QBs of the future to get killed out there. It's the NFL. Even the tank job to end all tank jobs -- the 2016 Browns -- went with RG3 as their starter in Game 1. (They got smarter the following year and went straight to DeShon Kizer in Game 1, assuring the 0-16 they so desperately wanted.)

By the way, Sam Bradford isn't in an NFL camp and I just checked ... he ain't retired. I say he's on a roster by October, and that he actually has a couple good games left in him.

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

If you go back and watch Rosen's college games, those bad habits were always there. He was fortunate to have good talent around him most of his college career. However, in those games where he received any kind of consistent defensive pressure, or when his offensive line didn't play very well, those bad habits were very evident - bad decisions, bad throws, etc.

I still think Rosen has the physical ability to be a good NFL QB. I just don't know if he has what it takes, mentally. I am not talking about intelligence. I'm talking about the ability to honestly self-evaluate, accept constructive criticism, and truly understand the importance of his demeanor and attitude at this stage of his career and in a position on the team that inherently comes with leadership responsibilities.

UCLA has one of the worse defenses in the nation his last year in college.  Also, I missed all the skill UCLA players in the nfl.  You are severely overestimating the talent they had. Mora sucked. 

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

At the same time, not much can be gained when your team gives up 17 sacks in under 2.5 seconds. That Arizona line is historically bad and I'm not sure anything but bad habits could be developed. I expect much of the same for them this year. 

See the Rodgers post for bias. Basically the same type of guy that teammates generally like and fans hate. A lot of people on here are still hurt that he doesn't like Trump. I'm not trying to make this a political post, but there was a lot of hate when the picture came out and it's remained. There is no other reason to hate an opposing QB so much and we haven't even played him yet.

It’s true.  If he said he loved Trump, so if the people bashing him, would be a lot more forgiving.  Personally, I don’t care.

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I agree there is a ways to go.  We'll see.  Right now though it would seem Rosen may not have been the best pick.  I wonder if it's his attitude or something more on the physical side.

See, this is more reasonable.  I think the body language stuff is overrated but watching and being around Fitz should help him.  I would want Fitz as my backup qb if I had a young qb.  Awesome dude to learn from. 

42 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But as of right now (as I originally said), he’s the second best qb in the division.

Some people would say that comparing a 10 year NFL veteran to two 2nd year QBs is stupid. In your case I think you're just being disingenuous.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Some people would say that comparing a 10 year NFL veteran to two 2nd year QBs is stupid. In your case I think you're just being disingenuous.

Can people not read? It’s what I said all along.  It’s stupid to act like Allen and Darnold are guaranteed to be better than a guy who just threw for nearly 300 yards/ game and had a 100 qb rating.  

Fitz is having a career better than 80% of the qbs that played in the league. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Cool, he can throw 4 picks to us times 2 this season.

I would say “a lot of starting qb’s” would equate to at least 1/3 of them- and I can’t come up with that many Fitz would beat out. For every 2 good games he will have 3 terrible games. Thats pretty much been his trend through his journeyman career. Fitz is a number 2, and a high risk high reward one at that. 

The thing is, the preseason doesn't have real games. The poster said "beat out" many QBs, am delighted in practice and preseason he probably would. You wouldn't get the bad Fitzy yet. 

Rosen must have shown very little in camp.  Miami has to know Fitz's history; he'll win some and break your heart in other games.  Overall a mediocre QB at the end of his career, and at this point the perfect backup QB.  

It is perplexing to understand exactly what Miami is trying to do.  Why the interest in Clowney and starting a journeyman QB if they are trying to build for the future?  I would have thought they would tank this year and try and get Tua next April.

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Rosen must have shown very little in camp.  Miami has to know Fitz's history; he'll win some and break your heart in other games.  Overall a mediocre QB at the end of his career, and at this point the perfect backup QB.  

It is perplexing to understand exactly what Miami is trying to do.  Why the interest in Clowney and starting a journeyman QB if they are trying to build for the future?  I would have thought they would tank this year and try and get Tua next April.

Yeah, it makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Rookies are learning a new offense and they start.  Plus everyone knows that Fitz is a bridge QB at best and if you think the younger guy has anything, you go with him and let him develop, especially on a rebuilding team like Miami is.  It's a bad sign.

Josh Allen didn’t start over Nate Peterman and his 32 career qb rating. 

Fitz was the 9th rated QB in the entire league last year with a 100.4 rating, 17 TDs and 12 INTs in less than half a season, and yes I saw all the bad Fitzy games. 14th in QBR and if he played the whole season he was on pace for 4800 yards. 

He led the entire league in yards per attempt by a lot at 9.6 which is ridiculous.

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

For one game.  And the coaches were taken to task for that blunder.

It does, however, show how coaches can be hoodwinked by practice and preseason. Fitz would actually be a good if not very good starting QB in this league if he did not try to force passes so much in real games and write checks his arm can't cash. That doesn't happen in practice and preseason, so he can look great and beat out his competition in that setting. For the smartest guy in the league he throws the most dumb passes.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Fitz was the 9th rated QB in the entire league last year with a 100.4 rating, 17 TDs and 12 INTs in less than half a season, and yes I saw all the bad Fitzy games. 14th in QBR and if he played the whole season he was on pace for 4800 yards. 

He led the entire league in yards per attempt by a lot at 9.6 which is ridiculous.

I had no idea.  That's crazy.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This just melted my brain.  I don’t know what this means.  Fitz was a lot better than Allen and Darnold last year.  First round picks bust all the time so it’s stupid to automatically assume that Allen or Darnold will be better than Fitz.  If either of those guys have those numbers, we will talk about them being the next great young QBs.

so of course, no one is trading Fitz for either of those guys.  But as of right now (as I originally said), he’s the second best qb in the division.  He is on the worst team though. 

He is learning a new offense on an entirely new team.  And Fitz had numbers last year we kill for Allen to have.  Was it a bad sign that Allen couldn’t beat out Peterman (possibly the worst qb in the nfl) or that Matt Barkley (career 67 qb rating) has looked like the fair superior qb this preseason?

all of these guys have a long way to go and a lot of progress to hopefully make.  Jim Kelly wasn’t even in the nfl 2 years after college.  Aaron Rodgers didn’t leave the bench for his first 3 years.  Kurt Warner was stocking groceries.  Long, long way to go. 

P.S. this is a place that had a 50 page thread laughing at Mahomes throwing INTs in training camp practice last year.  Maybe we should chill on the overrracting. 

Just an FYI....Peterman is a pre season elite kick ass QB!  Problem is come week 1 and Mr. Hyde shows up and presto one of worst QB's to have ever stepped on a football field...

58 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Dolphins fan here. I don't come in peace ?

Rosen has actually looked better than Fitzy over the past 3 weeks. His pocket-presence and accuracy have improved a lot; just needs to get the ball out faster. The reason I think Rosen will not start now is because the offensive line sucks and they want to protect their investment (Rosen). We face four of the best defenses back-to-back in weeks 1-4. Let Fitzy have his wild 300 yards 3 TD games early then throw the young guy in when Fitz gets hurt. 

The Clowney interest actually makes sense if the plan is to turn the team around quick. No matter who plays QB this year, the OL is so bad that it will not allow said QB to run a functioning offense.  They already have some young pieces at CB, LB, DT, and WR but literally nothing at DE. If the recent reports are true, Houston offered a 1st and Clowney for Tunsil. Tunsil is one of the best LT in the league so the question then becomes do you want either Fitzy and Rosen running for their lives with help on the left side or do you want a competent defense and Fitzy/Rosen running for their lives? Regardless of whatever option they choose, the goal is to look towards the future. 

1. We keep Tunsil but our pass-rush suffers. We have a projected 13 picks in next year's draft and $120+ million in cap space next year. Draft your QB, sign or draft a DE, shore up OL in free agency, etc.

2. We lose Tunsil but gain Clowney, an extra 1st next year, and apparently our GM wants more. We now have a projected 14 or 15, four or five in the first two rounds, picks in next year's draft and $120+ million in cap space next year. The defense should be set outside of free safety so all of the resources would go into the offense. Draft a QB, shore up the offensive line in FA/draft, pay Clowney, etc.

Edited by DolFAN93
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Rosen has shown some good, some bad.  He started out apparently with a steep learning curve - I'm pretty sure the Marine Mammals are running an EP-type offense, while last year's Cardinals ran some kind of WCO.  Fitz can diagram EP play calls in his sleep at this point.

I'm also pretty sure that even if Rosen showed some good things, in a charisma contest Fitz >>>>>>>>> Rosen.  Fitz can get guys to "buy in" and run through a wall for him, at least until he craps the bed a few times.

It's been justly said by many that running a "QB competition" between a rookie and a veteran in training camp will almost always result in the veteran looking better in the coaches' eyes.

At this point, I have no idea what the Mammals are thinking.  Anyone's guess, but I don't think they think they're tanking.