Fitzpatrick officially named starter in Miami

HappyDays

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Rosen is in his 2nd year and they just traded a 2nd for him. Why do they not want to see what they have? They aren't trying to develop him for the future. What did they obtain him for if not to find out if he's any good?

They really just took a low risk flyer on him.  They took their original 2nd rounder, packaged it & traded it down & got a 2020 2nd rounder and then sent the lower 2nd round pick to Arizona.  Very low risk considering their original 2nd helped get them an additional 2nd in the next draft. 

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Fitz ends up winning the job for every team that he goes to. And all people do is act like he sucks. He doesn’t. He has zero physical ability and like a superhero level of heart and intangibles. 

He does, however, always end up losing that job a few weeks later that he always wins.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fitz would beat out a lot of starting qbs.  As of right now, he’s the second best qb in the division.  

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I mean, this is just not true.

Depends, Days.  Good Fitz or Bad Fitz?

Fitzmagic has the "it" factor, the leadership, the moxy, and the football savvy.

Fitztragic.....I'm not sure what happens, but I think it's something like Little Feat's "Old Folks Boogie" lyric "When Your Mind Makes a Promise That Your Body Can't Fill"

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Fitz ends up winning the job for every team that he goes to. And all people do is act like he sucks. He doesn’t. He has zero physical ability and like a superhero level of heart and intangibles. 

I know. Fitz isn’t some scrub.  He was a better qb than Winston last year who was the number 1 overall pick.  Didn’t he just set records for 400 yard passing games in a row?  Obviously bad Fitz will show up but there are way worse qbs to a lose a job to, especially when you are learning your 2nd nfl offense in 2 years. 

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Rosen is in his 2nd year and they just traded a 2nd for him. Why do they not want to see what they have? They aren't trying to develop him for the future. What did they obtain him for if not to find out if he's any good?

I mean, this is just not true.

The Bills traded up for Allen and drafted him at 7th overall after putting off the QB pick the year before. Why did they not want to see what they had? (Bad surrounding talent including o-line is probably the answer, which is also true in Miami currently)

who says they don’t want to develop Rosen for the future?

not to mention the obvious fact that Peterman should never have started any games ever for any team. That alone makes my statement true. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Considering their whole team is apparently on the trade block I would say it's pretty obvious they are tanking. Rosen, the "pro ready" prospect, is not being developed for the future in his 2nd year by a team that didn't draft him. They have 16 games to decide if they need to draft a QB next year and they decided to waste it. If you can't see the difference I don't know what else to tell you.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chemical said:

The Bills traded up for Allen and drafted him at 7th overall after putting off the QB pick the year before. Why did they not want to see what they had? (Bad surrounding talent including o-line is probably the answer, which is also true in Miami currently)

not to mention the obvious fact that Peterman should never have started any games ever for any team. That alone makes my statement true.

Flores was pretty up-front and laid it out there:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-saints-notes-20190829-ned7kq567bg57nabpjjurwcgna-story.html

"When Rosen worked with the first-team offense,...... Flores was rightfully critical of his young player’s performance. Flores challenged Rosen to improve his body language and on-field demeanor, while adding Rosen needs to get rid of the football faster, and have better decision making regarding throwing risky passes while trying to avoid sacks.

Flores also shared a hypothetical quarterback philosophy in recent weeks, where he said a young quarterback like Rosen should spend some time on the bench to absorb the offense, while developing a hunger and gratitude to have such an opportunity to be a starting NFL quarterback."

Sounds as though Flores feels Rosen needs to be humbled a bit, as well as to do a better job of applying what he's been told. So he's applying a "tincture of Time (on the bench)"

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Considering their whole team is apparently on the trade block I would say it's pretty obvious they are tanking. Rosen, the "pro ready" prospect, is not being developed for the future in his 2nd year by a team that didn't draft him. They have 16 games to decide if they need to draft a QB next year and they decided to waste it. If you can't see the difference I don't know what else to tell you.

Na, na, don't be hasty.  Fitz named as starter for Game 1 does not mean Fitz will remain the starter for game 5, or game 6, much less game 16.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't really get this Fitz isn't the guy, and if Rosen isn't and is worse then Fitz then what's the worse that could happen, you'd get better draft position to take the actual guy?

Agreed...there is no value in starting Fitz...none what so ever.  Dolphins are still a clown organization.

I mean why trade a 2nd round pick for Rosen if you aren't going to play him and see what he has?  Not like they are trying to contend this year.  Dont get me wrong, I think Rosen sucks, but still...whats the point of using a 2nd round pick on him and not get on the field and see if you still need to draft a QB or if he can show you the potential to be a starter for them long term. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The difference?

How about Fitz>Peterman and I’m guessing you think Allen>Rosen. So what part of the equation am I missing? 

Or are you saying they should throw Rosen into their tank like the Cards did? Or like we had to with Allen because we chose Peterman to start?

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed...there is no value in starting Fitz...none what so ever.  Dolphins are still a clown organization.

I mean why trade a 2nd round pick for Rosen if you aren't going to play him and see what he has?  Not like they are trying to contend this year.  Dont get me wrong, I think Rosen sucks, but still...whats the point of using a 2nd round pick on him and not get on the field and see if you still need to draft a QB or if he can show you the potential to be a starter for them long term. 

Honestly, this might be the best thing for Rosen.  Allen would have been helped by watching a guy like Fitz last year too.  Rosen’s Head has to be spinning.  He will be the starter at the end of the year and should be in a better position to succeed.

and I know you know this but no matter how many outsiders say your team is bad or tanking, everyone in that locker room thinks they can win.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chemical said:

The difference?

How about Fitz>Peterman and I’m guessing you think Allen>Rosen. So what part of the equation am I missing? 

Or are you saying they should throw Rosen into their tank like the Cards did? Or like we had to with Allen because we chose Peterman to start?

I don't think you understand what I'm saying at all so I'm just going to move on

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Na, na, don't be hasty.  Fitz named as starter for Game 1 does not mean Fitz will remain the starter for game 5, or game 6, much less game 16.

I'll be shocked if Fitzpatrick plays all 16 games. I just don't understand what Miami has to gain by starting him in the first place. FWIW Dolphins fans and reporters are also baffled by this decision. They want to know if Rosen can show anything over a full season, because if not the team has no ties to him and can easily move on. Now they're going to be left in limbo wondering. Probably the worst case scenario for them is he comes in week 8 and looks pretty decent but not great. 16 games would give them a better evaluation. Not that I'm complaining, I'd love to see the Dolphins flounder.

Edited by HappyDays

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, this might be the best thing for Rosen.  Allen would have been helped by watching a guy like Fitz last year too.  Rosen’s Head has to be spinning.  He will be the starter at the end of the year and should be in a better position to succeed.

and I know you know this but no matter how many outsiders say your team is bad or tanking, everyone in that locker room thinks they can win.  

True, and you are right, those are fair point...and you having said that, it now makes more sense than my initial harsh reaction.  So good reply and you swayed my initial reaction on this one.

I will add a caveat though...this only makes sense if Fitz only starts the season off and then they get Rosen on the field at least midway through the year to get some more experience and give the Dolphins a good look at him before next years draft.  While I totally agree with you about the locker room, the front office is a different story.  You don't expect to win a lot after gutting a team and adding nothing back when you are a GM.  

Gutting the team and rebuilding was the right move for them, so not mocking that decision, but they know in the front office its more likely that they are picking inside the top 10 then outside of it next year.  So its going to be important they get a long enough look on Rosen before the draft next year.    

Edited by Alphadawg7