Wyatt Teller traded to Browns

aristocrat

21 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If they got better compensation for another bubble lineman would they have taken that deal and kept Teller?

I doubt they got any offers for any other lineman not in their top-8 or 9.

18 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

If they keep 9.  The last spot will be someone who is not currently on the roster

Or they might just roll with 8.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, EC-Bills said:

I dunno guys, this deal seems like Jason Peters 2.0...

Peters wasn't a bubble player.  They traded him because he was rightly disgruntled when they signed scrubs for more money than they were willing to pay him.  That sickened me the way the Bill's with Marv Levy as GM handled that.

I liked Teller, but he wasn't a stand out player.

58 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

How do you know he was going to be cut?

52 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If they got better compensation for another bubble lineman would they have taken that deal and kept Teller?

Because they traded him!

I highly doubt a week before the start of the regular season you'd trade any play who you feel is certain to make your roster unless it significantly strengths you team right now.   Would they trade McCoy and Zay for Clowney, likely yes because that markedly improves the team. But if they were offered a 4th and 6th instead of  5th and 6th for lets say Bates who is likely one of the last guys to make the roster, doubt they'd make that trade for just slightly better value.  On the other hand if Cleveland offered the 4th and 6th for a different player they also likely were cutting, then likely Teller is still on the roster and the other guys gone instead.  The key is you're choosing between two players that are being cut.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Because they traded him!

I highly doubt a week before the start of the regular season you'd trade any play who you feel is certain to make your roster unless it significantly strengths you team right now.   Would they trade McCoy and Zay for Clowney, likely yes because that markedly improves the team. But if they were offered a 4th and 6th instead of  5th and 6th for lets say Bates who is likely one of the last guys to make the roster, doubt they'd make that trade for just slightly better value.  On the other hand if Cleveland offered the 4th and 6th for a different player they also likely were cutting, then likely Teller is still on the roster and the other guys gone instead.  The key is you're choosing between two players that are being cut.

Or Teller still gets cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Because they traded him!

I’m trying to spin my way out of a lost argument with the you can’t prove something that hasn’t happened trick.  Cut me some damn slack.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I never hated him like some posters do. I thought he had real potential. Well, the coaches see him more than any of us, so I'll trust their judgement. As far as the trade goes, it was good, but nothing special. We got the pick back that we used on him and swapped a 6th and 7th. Good, but not as outrageous as some seem to think.

I still think Cleveland could get the best of this deal in time, but only time will tell with Teller.

Edited by GreggTX

Beane gave an interview during the 3rd quarter his comments were interesting:

1. a few teams have been calling about Bills o line, who is available etc

2. Beane said teller took the news well

3. Beane almost said that Teller would be cut anyhow. before backtracking and saying he'd be a 53 man roster consideration

4. Beane made it very clear that Teller was "not progressing" as quickly as expected when OTAs and as the offseason has played out

5. Beane said the mix of "vets" (namely Morse. Feliciano. and Nsheke on o line) and younger players is what they're trying to instill to help the younger players progress and learn (sounded like a kick in the pants to young guys on how to grow into an NFL player)

6. Beane also said that Tyler Kroft is progressing very well, expects him to be on 53 man roster without an injury designation...and back playing in the 1st half of season)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Beane gave an interview during the 3rd quarter his comments were interesting:

1. a few teams have been calling about Bills o line, who is available etc

2. Beane said teller took the news well

3. Beane almost said that Teller would be cut anyhow. before backtracking and saying he'd be a 53 man roster consideration

4. Beane made it very clear that Teller was "not progressing" as quickly as expected when OTAs and as the offseason has played out

5. Beane said the mix of "vets" (namely Morse. Feliciano. and Nsheke on o line) and younger players is what they're trying to instill to help the younger players progress and learn (sounded like a kick in the pants to young guys on how to grow into an NFL player)

6. Beane also said that Tyler Kroft is progressing very well, expects him to be on 53 man roster without an injury designation...and back playing in the 1st half of season)

I actually thought his most informative comment was when he noted that they want OLinemen who can play multiple spots on the line. Teller didn't have positional flexibility. 

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

Or Teller still gets cut. 

Exactly...It was going to happen...With Ford starting at RG, Long and Feliciano both being swing OG/C's, there's just no room...It was really that simple...

Not that anyone asked, but I really like the move...It's honestly something for nothing...Not that Teller is nothing...Not at all...But he was getting squeezed out by the numbers regardless...Getting a 5th and 6th for a guy who was gone anyway is good Roster Management IMHO...?

• Like (+1) 2