*2023 UB Football Thread*

Buffalo716

UB Bulls will win Friday against 1 win Akron Zips to go to a bowl game. But I don’t see MAC championships in football or basketball ever with Maurice Linquist and Jim Whitesell as the UB head coaches. Anymore than I don’t see Stanley Cup playoffs ever for the Buffalo Sabres with Don Granato as head coach.

Look you get what you pay for. All these three Buffalo men coach Kmart Blue Light special cheap coaching salaries wise for there respective Buffalo teams. Look there are reasons why St Bonaventure Bonnies as an example with all new players knocked off 5-0 Notre Dame yesterday. It’s coaching Bonnies head coach Mark Schmidt is one of the best coaches presently in the Buffalo area that few know about because well Buffalo fan is too fixated on the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres with not much else maybe where you can get good wings and pizza. Maybe a New York Yankees game once in a while because they win a lot that is Buffalo. Any other city fans would know about Mark Schmidt. Yes that is a knock on Buffalo sports as a city many of our Buffalo fans are very limited. It is also a reason why UB Bulls have no money to retain good coaches. If Buffalo was willing to fill Key Bank Center for UB Bulls basketball games Nate Oats would still be at UB. Yes part of this crap is on Buffalo. They run to the Buffalo Sabres still regardless of how bad the on ice product is with a very soft team and how much the Sabres ownership could careless. But sell 18,000 plus UB Bulls basketball tickets or 25,000 UB Bulls football tickets forget it. That really is the reason why we are stuck with new coaches every few years in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

UB Bulls will win Friday against 1 win Akron Zips to go to a bowl game. But I don’t see MAC championships in football or basketball ever with Maurice Linquist and Jim Whitesell as the UB head coaches. Anymore than I don’t see Stanley Cup playoffs ever for the Buffalo Sabres with Don Granato as head coach.

Look you get what you pay for. All these three Buffalo men coach Kmart Blue Light special cheap coaching salaries wise for there respective Buffalo teams. Look there are reasons why St Bonaventure Bonnies as an example with all new players knocked off 5-0 Notre Dame yesterday. It’s coaching Bonnies head coach Mark Schmidt is one of the best coaches presently in the Buffalo area that few know about because well Buffalo fan is too fixated on the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres with not much else maybe where you can get good wings and pizza. Maybe a New York Yankees game once in a while because they win a lot that is Buffalo. Any other city fans would know about Mark Schmidt. Yes that is a knock on Buffalo sports as a city many of our Buffalo fans are very limited. It is also a reason why UB Bulls have no money to retain good coaches. If Buffalo was willing to fill Key Bank Center for UB Bulls basketball games Nate Oats would still be at UB. Yes part of this crap is on Buffalo. They run to the Buffalo Sabres still regardless of how bad the on ice product is with a very soft team and how much the Sabres ownership could careless. But sell 18,000 plus UB Bulls basketball tickets or 25,000 UB Bulls football tickets forget it. That really is the reason why we are stuck with new coaches every few years in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Buffalo isn’t St bonaventure and the 2 aren’t mutually exclusive 

People who live in the city don’t even consider Lancaster or Cheektowaga Buffalo

That’s just the truth … Older folk who got to watch Bob Lanier appreciate it… But that era is gone

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/26/2022 at 5:44 PM, zow2 said:

I don’t know if it’s the head coach specifically or the staff, but this team does not know how to close games out.  Ridiculous blown 2nd half leads and that awful hail mary loss.  

Yes, it was pathetic.  Momentum changed with the missed FG that would’ve put them up 27-10.  The defense was horrible.  So that’s 3 double-digit 2nd half leads blown?

Even if they rout Akron, I don’t know if they deserve a bowl game. 

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Lol We're playing Georgia Southern and Kyle Vantrease in Camellia bowl

Of course we are. Storyline! Will be 99% GaSo fans since you need a mule team to get there from WNY.

And now there are rumors that Linguist is on Cincinnati's radar.  Hard to believe anyone would want him, but good for him if he can get a bigger job after this clown show UB season.  BTW AD Mark Alnutt extended Linguist's contract at the start of the year that included a big increase in his buyout.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Matt Myers has entered the transfer portal

The rush for the exits has begun.

I don't blame him one bit. He went from starting against Penn State (and doing a nice job) to backing up a dud.

Speaking of, Mo didn't get the Cinci gig. Oh well. 

On 11/27/2022 at 3:02 AM, Buffalo716 said:

Buffalo isn’t St bonaventure and the 2 aren’t mutually exclusive 

People who live in the city don’t even consider Lancaster or Cheektowaga Buffalo

That’s just the truth … Older folk who got to watch Bob Lanier appreciate it… But that era is gone

I believe you I don’t doubt what you are saying at all. I am sure there are some misguided people in the city of Buffalo that think that way but it is misguided economically and unrealistic economically. I am old Buffalonian folk Lancaster and Cheektowaga are all part of Buffalo so is the Southern tier. Just because the city of Buffalo some think whatever there thinking today isn’t considered Buffalo doesn’t make it so. Buffalo is one huge area of the Niagara Frontier that makes up Buffalo. Who do you think is supporting the entertainment in the city of Buffalo? Certainly not just the city of Buffalo? All of Buffalo that includes the whole Niagara Frontier, Erie Pennsylvania and the Golden Horseshoe of Ontario along with former Buffalonians that comeback to visit.

Believe me for Buffalo to get back to it’s glory we need everyone rowing the boat not just the city of Buffalo rowing the boat that thinking is misguided. UB North is in Amherst, the Bills are in Orchard Park, the Bonnies are in Olean. When Buffalo was really still going it was the whole Niagara Frontier that our area relied on not just the city of Buffalo we would never have gotten sports teams in the first place. Yes I turn 55 years old end of December I am older a Buffalonian I never ran into anyone talking like that it must be a new generation thing.

The same thing happened a decade ago where some Buffalo Sabres fans thought they were hip not cheering Let’s Go Buffalo instead Let’s Go Sabres we see where that went? Same with whatever fantasy a few misguided city of Buffalo people only think city of Buffalo good luck with that. I am a champion of the city of Buffalo but Buffalo needs everyone we can get. If one said I am not rooting for the Bonnies when they beat Power 5 schools like Notre Dame at Madison Square Garden because the Bonnies don’t play full time in the city of Buffalo but Olean 90 minutes down the road? Who does that? Even UB is in Amherst and the Bills are in Orchard Park so what does that Buffalonian do root for the Sabres, Bandits and Bisons only? Because they play in the city limits of Buffalo? I don’t even know what to say to that Buffalonian while they are most likely wearing a Duke or Michigan jersey on good luck you minds as well put on a Miami Dolphins or New England Patriots jersey as a older Buffalonian yeah as someone older who went to Little Three basketball doubleheaders in the old Buffalo Aud I don’t get it. But it is misguided because Buffalo the city of Buffalo isn’t big enough population wise or wealthy wise to think that shortsighted. The city of Buffalo isn’t Park Avenue Manhattan today it isn’t even in my day of Buffalo economically when it was going strong economically wasn’t like that so it is misguided of some in the city of Buffalo to think like that Buffalo is the whole Niagara Frontier I want everyone in city of Buffalo and the Niagara Frontier to win in my opinion. Go Bulls! Go Bonnies! Go Griffs! Go Purple Eagles! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

50 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I am old Buffalonian folk Lancaster and Cheektowaga are all part of Buffalo so is the Southern tier. Just because the city of Buffalo some think whatever there thinking today isn’t considered Buffalo doesn’t make it so. Buffalo is one huge area of the Niagara Frontier that makes up Buffalo. Who do you think is supporting the entertainment in the city of Buffalo? Certainly not just the city of Buffalo? All of Buffalo that includes the whole Niagara Frontier, Erie Pennsylvania and the Golden Horseshoe of Ontario along with former Buffalonians that comeback to visit.

Believe me for Buffalo to get back to it’s glory we need everyone rowing the boat not just the city of Buffalo rowing the boat that thinking is misguided. UB North is in Amherst, the Bills are in Orchard Park, the Bonnies are in Olean. When Buffalo was really still going it was the whole Niagara Frontier that our area relied on not just the city of Buffalo we would never have gotten sports teams in the first place. Yes I turn 55 years old end of December I am older a Buffalonian I never ran into anyone talking like that it must be a new generation thing.

The same thing happened a decade ago where some Buffalo Sabres fans thought they were hip not cheering Let’s Go Buffalo instead Let’s Go Sabres we see where that went. Same with whatever fantasy a few misguided city of Buffalo younger people only think city of Buffalo good luck with that. I am a champion of the city of Buffalo but Buffalo needs everyone we can get. If one said I am not rooting for the Bonnies when they beat Power 5 schools like Notre Dame at Madison Square Garden because the Bonnies don’t play full time in the city of Buffalo but Olean 90 minutes down the road. Even UB is in Amherst and the Bills are in Orchard Park so was does that Buffalonian do root for the Sabres, Bandits and Bisons only? Because they play in the city limits of Buffalo? I don’t even know what to say to that Buffalonian while they are most likely wearing a Duke or Michigan jersey on good luck you minds as well put on a Miami Dolphins or New England Patriots jersey as a older Buffalonian I don’t get it. But it is misguided because Buffalo the city of Buffalo isn’t big enough population wise or wealthy wise to think that shortsighted. The city of Buffalo isn’t Park Avenue Manhattan today it isn’t even in my day of Buffalo economically when it was going strong economically wasn’t like that so it is misguided of some in the city of Buffalo to think like that Buffalo is the whole Niagara Frontier I want everyone in Buffalo and the Niagara Frontier to win in my opinion. Go Bulls! Go Bonnie’s! Go Griffs! Go Purple Eagles! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Listen every single person in the suburbs say they’re from Buffalo… Cheektowaga, Lancaster,  Depew ,Orchard Park, even the sticks … 

Because everybody knows Buffalo around the country… Nobody knows Depew

And it’s great that you’re a super fan of all sports Western New York… Personally I also like everything from the bills and sabres and Cuse and Bonnie’s and UB and Canisius… and cuse isn’t even WNY

But I still stand by my point

There is not a bigger disconnect between the suburbs and a city in any area , than the city of Buffalo to its suburbs 

Again every suburbanite says they’re from Buffalo… And there’s nothing wrong with saying that… it’s pride in a home

But The people who grew up on Broadway and Bailey and the east and west and south side don’t agree… They grew up in poverty, And gang violence and drugs 

They don’t Have anything in common with a kid from Hamburg from a nice home 

My point is people use the word Buffalo loosely in Western New York… To the people living in the city… Buffalo is buffalo… They don’t consider Clarence buffalo

To the people in the suburbs… Buffalo is the majority of Erie county

and I’m sure throughout Erie and Niagara county you can find plenty of Bonnie’s fans and UB fans … and Canisius and Niagara fans 

But liking somebody like Saint Bonaventure’s is usually a learned behavior … Usually don’t wake up one day and say I’m going to choose to like Saint Bonaventure’s

You usually acquire it from your father or grandfather… and grew up Watching them… same with UB

There’s definitely a pocket of Bonnie’s fans in the area but it’s a niche … alumnis and people who grew up watching with their family 

I want all of Buffalo and WNY to succeed … I’m as pro WNY as they come … 

i just know that UB will never have the support you and I think it should have …. And there’s a lot of reasons for that but that’s a different story

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

But The people who grew up on Broadway and Bailey and the east and west and south side don’t agree… They grew up in poverty, And gang violence and drugs 

That was my neighborhood. St. Stanislaus parish. Fillmore/Peckham. But when you grow up in it, it's home. I know it's worse now but back in the 60's and 70's it was just a working class Polish neighborhood. It's crazy how it's mostly empty lots now.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I just know that UB will never have the support you and I think it should have …. And there’s a lot of reasons for that but that’s a different story

It's a perfect (s**t)storm of Buffalo being mostly a pro sports town and SUNY being indifferent to athletics. When I went there in the late 70's they got rid of all of their D1 athletics and there was ZERO school spirit.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That was my neighborhood. St. Stanislaus parish. Fillmore/Peckham. But when you grow up in it, it's home. I know it's worse now but back in the 60's and 70's it was just a working class Polish neighborhood. It's crazy how it's mostly empty lots now.

I pass Saint Stanislaus daily…. That area has really been hit hard

But it’s still filled with a lot of great people… And they have a lot of pride for where they live 

It’s not what it was in the 60s… But it’s still home to a lot of people

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I pass Saint Stanislaus daily…. That area has really been hit hard

But it’s still filled with a lot of great people… And they have a lot of pride for where they live 

It’s not what it was in the 60s… But it’s still home to a lot of people

I went to St. Stan's. Was a choir and an alter boy too. Remember Peter Gorecki, the organist? Guy was classically trained and used to just jam on the pipe organ during communion.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.