*2023 UB Football Thread*

Buffalo716

I wonder what the current NCAA landscape will do to the prospects of the Leipolds and the Linguists of the world.  

You would think there will be even more of an arms race and a lot of retreads among the top 30 or so programs.  The Kansases, Arkansases, and Illinoises are facing a much steeper hill at this point.  Maybe you can get a payday, but you cannot achieve any success.  Bowl games will be tough to come by, and your seat will probably get warm pretty quick.  

At least in the MAC, you can make a good living, remain pretty safe if you do a reasonably good job, and create a legacy that is better than 3-and-done at Kansas followed by coaching at Bryant and Stratton.

8 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I wonder what the current NCAA landscape will do to the prospects of the Leipolds and the Linguists of the world.  

You would think there will be even more of an arms race and a lot of retreads among the top 30 or so programs.  The Kansases, Arkansases, and Illinoises are facing a much steeper hill at this point.  Maybe you can get a payday, but you cannot achieve any success.  Bowl games will be tough to come by, and your seat will probably get warm pretty quick.  

At least in the MAC, you can make a good living, remain pretty safe if you do a reasonably good job, and create a legacy that is better than 3-and-done at Kansas followed by coaching at Bryant and Stratton.

MAC schools, and really every school not in a super conference, has to scout to win, every season. Anyone good will be gone so you have to stock the pipeline endlessly. Plus there will be players who are stuck behind starters at super conference teams that want to be the guy, and can be if they drop down. After all the point is going pro, not winning at college.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:10 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I bet you’re a hit at party’s 

I'm not really sure what this is intended to imply.  

I just find it odd to give a guy an extension that has no on field success, where a defensive coach had some of the worst defense I have ever seen.

On 7/22/2022 at 4:38 PM, Back2Buff said:

I don't understand the Linguist extension.  At the end of the day, the college extension means really nothing.  If he is good, he will be gone, with or without, an extension.

I don't agree with it either that said not sure of anyone that be better as not followed the NCAA as closely since Covid hit. 

On 7/26/2022 at 8:59 AM, Back2Buff said:

I'm not really sure what this is intended to imply.  

I just find it odd to give a guy an extension that has no on field success, where a defensive coach had some of the worst defense I have ever seen.

Because last year was last year. A year where a new coach had 100 days to recruit and assemble a staff, done at a time when when every other team was done hiring. Did we all forget about Lance leaving for Kansas late?

If anything this tells me AD Mark Allnut is expecting big things from Mo Linguist. He's not going be a coach that sticks around for 5+ years. This extension is probably more about increasing his buyout number.

Linguist could well be gone after this year, off to a larger conference. His forte is recruiting and this is the year where recruiting is winning. The MAC got slammed hard by the transfer portal. Every program was flipped upside down. No one knows what anyone's got. But the team that recruits best has the best chance.

So here's looking forward to a successful Bulls season.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 9:41 AM, Talley56 said:

This is the last weekend without football that matters until mid/late February.  Only a few college games next weekend but I'll take it.

I'm very tempted to fly down to DC and catch UB at Maryland on 9/3. UB plays UMass on 10/15. That's only a 2 hour drive away for me.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:19 PM, Buffalo716 said:

UB has 7 Committed for the 2023 class so far

Not one of those players have any stars next to their name rn tho, Which is a little concerning

Lot Of time left tho 

I wouldn’t worry about how many stars UB recruits are. I would worry about UB the university not addressing UB Stadiums horrible outdated scoreboard there is zero excuse for that we are a FBS football school a fake New York State flagship. If UB was a real state flagship our UB Stadium wouldn’t look like it does now with a horrible track and a worse early 2000’s scoreboard horrible. I question when UB Stadium starts falling apart like Highmark Stadium and Key Bank Center if UB the university is going to bother with FBS football anymore. I would be more concerned with UB Bulls football existing then star numbers by UB recruits because of the UB university attitude of doing nothing from the schools end. If it isn’t student fees or private money from donors the state and university isn’t interested in football or really anything athletics wise unfortunately as a UB Bulls fan in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I wouldn’t worry about how many stars UB recruits are. I would worry about UB the university not addressing UB Stadiums horrible outdated scoreboard there is zero excuse for that we are a FBS football school a fake New York State flagship. If UB was a real state flagship our UB Stadium wouldn’t look like it does now with a horrible track and a worse early 2000’s scoreboard horrible. I question when UB Stadium starts falling apart like Highmark Stadium and Key Bank Center if UB the university is going to bother with FBS football anymore. I would be more concerned with UB Bulls football existing then star numbers by UB recruits because of the UB university attitude of doing nothing from the schools end. If it isn’t student fees or private money from donors the state and university isn’t interested in football or really anything athletics wise unfortunately as a UB Bulls fan in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

UB football Is the only program that makes money for the school

They have a recruiting pipeline that goes from New York to GA and VA and FL

At one point that was the nicest track in the MAC

On 8/29/2022 at 4:21 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Just booked a flight to DC. Gonna be at Maryland Saturday!

I just looked up where College Park, MD is.  I had no clue it was so much closer to Washington than Baltimore.  If you are there long enough you should check out an Orioles game as they are suddenly fun to watch.  Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson are two rookies who have recently held the title of "the #1 Prospect" in all of baseball and the team is 9 games over .500.  Enjoy the Bulls game!  I will be watching on Spectrum 382.  Anxious to see how Cole Snyder looks.                        

24 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

UB really needs to drop football.  Terrible stadium and a program that should have a firm goal to be in a better conference, but instead toils in mediocrity against MAC schools. 

Take thy negative crap somewhere else

This is a thread for fans of the program not people who want to bury it bro

Drop the program LMAO

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.