*2023 UB Football Thread*

Buffalo716

30 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

UB really needs to drop football.  Terrible stadium and a program that should have a firm goal to be in a better conference, but instead toils in mediocrity against MAC schools. 

I use to debate this take but after 30 years supporting UB Bulls athletics especially football as a UB Bulls fan who never went to UB the school there no path to big time Super Conference football at UB. UB stadium basically is so dated now it would be better to start over building a new football stadium. Which isn’t happening this school can’t afford a updated football scoreboard let alone a new football stadium. The only play here for UB Bulls big time is the Connecticut Huskies route get into the Big East Conference for basketball park UB football program somewhere or drop it completely before Syracuse Orange figures out there is no future for them in Super Conference football either when the ACC conference gets picked apart. Sorry Syracuse Orange football fans your never going to be Ohio State or Alabama or USC. Look at yourself 40,000 seats you can’t fill them for football even if you did it isn’t enough you need another 40,000 just not happening at Syracuse Orange the market is too small 800,000 metro isn’t getting it done nor is New York State high school football talent sorry but that is telling it like it is. Syracuse Orange basketball also belongs in the Big East Conference playing Buffalo Bulls. ACC hasn’t been good for Syracuse Orange over than money. The Syracuse Orange basketball looks terrible too. UB Bulls need to get there basketball programs in the Big East Conference where there on television on the weekends and are able to bring better college basketball programs to Western New York again competition wise for the WNY sports fans to enjoy before Syracuse Orange does. Especially since the Buffalo Sabres suck so bad at least WNY sports fans would have a option. It might make PSE work harder to fix the forever losing Buffalo Sabres and save it WNY sports fans that is also telling it like it is in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I use to debate this take but after 30 years supporting UB Bulls athletics especially football as a UB Bulls fan who never went to UB the school there no path to big time Super Conference football at UB. UB stadium basically is so dated now it would be better to start over building a new football stadium. Which isn’t happening this school can’t afford a updated football scoreboard let alone a new football stadium. The only play here for UB Bulls big time is the Connecticut Huskies route get into the Big East Conference for basketball park UB football program somewhere or drop it completely before Syracuse Orange figures out there is no future for them in Super Conference football either when the ACC conference gets picked apart. Sorry Syracuse Orange football fans your never going to be Ohio State or Alabama or USC. Look at yourself 40,000 seats you can’t fill them for football even if you did it isn’t enough you need another 40,000 just not happening at Syracuse Orange the market is too small 800,000 metro isn’t getting it done nor is New York State high school football talent sorry but that is telling it like it is. Syracuse Orange basketball also belongs in the Big East Conference playing Buffalo Bulls. ACC hasn’t been good for Syracuse Orange over than money. The Syracuse Orange basketball looks terrible too. UB Bulls need to get there basketball programs in the Big East Conference where there on television on the weekends and are able to bring better college basketball programs to Western New York again competition wise for the WNY sports fans to enjoy before Syracuse Orange does. Especially since the Buffalo Sabres suck so bad at least WNY sports fans would have a option. It might make PSE work harder to fix the forever losing Buffalo Sabres and save it WNY sports fans that is also telling it like it is in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

UB will never be in a Big Conference regardless of the stadium.  It is a similar program to UMass Amherst... Both schools are flagship state academic programs and football will remain secondary... love or leave it... ps UB's stadium is nicer than UMass Amherst... Bills are the number 1 college team in the area fans wise... UB wont be able to overcome that mentality in football.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Take thy negative crap somewhere else

This is a thread for fans of the program not people who want to bury it bro

Drop the program LMAO

Sorry.  Didn’t realize it was only for super fans like yourself….and positive comments only.  Feel free to report me if you are so offended.  😂

36 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Sorry.  Didn’t realize it was only for super fans like yourself….and positive comments only.  Feel free to report me if you are so offended.  😂

It’s for fans 

you literally said get rid of the team… That sounds like somebody who dislikes UB

I went to the game. The stadium didn't look that full because people were trying to get out of the sun. They were all standing in the concourses.

There was a healthy number of blue clad UB fans. The MD fans around me were nice. The school runs a shuttle from the metro stop right to the stadium so I went right from DCA to the game easily.

Overall UB was a mixed bag. The defense okay except for those two run plays they were gashed on. I think they were caught in a blitz both times. They got pressure on Taulia T but couldn't get to him.

The offense was meh. The O line was outmatched. QB Cole Snyder was unimpressive. Running backs were good considering they weren't getting blocking. Speaking of running, Jaret Patterson from the Commanders was on the sidelines cheering his school.

Hone opener vs Holy Cross Saturday. The Crusaders are a strong FCS team so UB better come to play. If they can't beat HC it's going to be a long year.

16 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

C'mon LB. Suggesting the team get scrapped doesn't add to the conversation. UB has had success. It's just harder to maintain being a mid major.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

C'mon LB. Suggesting the team get scrapped doesn't add to the conversation. UB has had success. It's just harder to maintain being a mid major.

Just frustrating.  I thought over the years with a new stadium, and a jump up in conferences that the team would generate more excitement in the community, and a better level of football.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Just frustrating.  I thought over the years with a new stadium, and a jump up in conferences that the team would generate more excitement in the community, and a better level of football.

The other conferences spoke by ignoring UB and every other MAC school in the last round of realignment. Heck even Conference USA, who was gutted, asked FCS schools to jump up rather than invite UB. The Northeast is not considered good for college fandom, outside of Syracuse and a few rabid fans for certain small basketball and hockey programs.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The other conferences spoke by ignoring UB and every other MAC school in the last round of realignment. Heck even Conference USA, who was gutted, asked FCS schools to jump up rather than invite UB. The Northeast is not considered good for college fandom, outside of Syracuse and a few rabid fans for certain small basketball and hockey programs.

And some people seem to think programs are built in 20 years

UB dropped its program and started from scratch

Every major college football program has been playing nonstop for 100+ years….

UB is on the right track… It just takes time 

My grandchildren will watch A steady UB program one day

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

And some people seem to think programs are built in 20 years

UB dropped its program and started from scratch

Every major college football program has been playing nonstop for 100+ years….

UB is on the right track… It just takes time 

My grandchildren will watch A steady UB program one day

Some programs can grow fast with a wealthy patron. Oklahoma State, Charlotte, UTSA and Coastal Carolina are examples.

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Some programs can grow fast with a wealthy patron. Oklahoma State, Charlotte, UTSA and Coastal Carolina are examples.

Oklahoma state has been playing football since 1900 .. all the other programs are mid majors 

They will ebb and flow with the times … the days of Boise st are basically over 

Coastal Carolina has hit a peak … it’s only down basically 

On 9/4/2022 at 10:42 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I went to the game. The stadium didn't look that full because people were trying to get out of the sun. They were all standing in the concourses.

There was a healthy number of blue clad UB fans. The MD fans around me were nice. The school runs a shuttle from the metro stop right to the stadium so I went right from DCA to the game easily.

Overall UB was a mixed bag. The defense okay except for those two run plays they were gashed on. I think they were caught in a blitz both times. They got pressure on Taulia T but couldn't get to him.

The offense was meh. The O line was outmatched. QB Cole Snyder was unimpressive. Running backs were good considering they weren't getting blocking. Speaking of running, Jaret Patterson from the Commanders was on the sidelines cheering his school.

Hone opener vs Holy Cross Saturday. The Crusaders are a strong FCS team so UB better come to play. If they can't beat HC it's going to be a long year.

Sounds like you had a good time at the game, glad to hear it. My only skin in the game is my son is a soph at UMD and plays in the band. He said it was pretty hot on Saturday.

On a humorous note this summer we visited UB with my younger son and the Terp got some good natured ribbing from the admissions couselor. Younger one got some good natured ribbing from admissions counselor over his Mets hoodie -  until I explained that despite being from Long Island we were all Bills fans.  

We're headed to College Park to see Purdue next month - hope it's better than last year when we watched Iowa roll the Terps. 

Anyway - good luck to the Buils the rest of the way! 

I've been very critical of Linguist and Sat did nothing to make me feel better where this program is heading.

Just so many mistakes that happened last year and continued right into this year.  Like nothing was learned from the mistakes of last year.

He has to stop trusting McNulty.  I can't believe he is still kicking at UB, but the guy can't kick from the far hashes.  Don't attempting anything over 40 yards when you have less than 4 yards to go for a first.

The constant missed tackles.  UB was one of the worst tackling teams last year, and that continued right into this year.

The lack of commitment to an option based offense.  I don't even know what type of offense UB is running, but its terrible.  I don't know why they act like they have a QB that can throw the ball with confidence.  Myers should have been starting and they should be using his athleticism.  You can do major damage in the MAC with just running an option based offense with an athletic QB.  This team still acts like they have Jackson as QB, and the likes of Anthony Johnson and KJ Osborn at WR.

Overall, I felt like Maryland kept the game much closer than it should have been because they wanted to get Tua's brother going.  If they would have ran the ball on every down, it would have been much worse.  I don't know why UB is struggling so much against the run yet again.  I feel like no one knows their assignment.  Lots of guys just going one on one all going to the ball carrier.  Very little lane assignment and patience.  

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Sounds like you had a good time at the game, glad to hear it. My only skin in the game is my son is a soph at UMD and plays in the band. He said it was pretty hot on Saturday.

On a humorous note this summer we visited UB with my younger son and the Terp got some good natured ribbing from the admissions couselor. Younger one got some good natured ribbing from admissions counselor over his Mets hoodie -  until I explained that despite being from Long Island we were all Bills fans.  

We're headed to College Park to see Purdue next month - hope it's better than last year when we watched Iowa roll the Terps. 

Anyway - good luck to the Buils the rest of the way! 

The UMD band was terrific. It's a shame UB can't muster a larger group. My daughter went to UMass and was part of their 400-member crew. Nothing like a huge marching band.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

I've been very critical of Linguist and Sat did nothing to make me feel better where this program is heading.

Just so many mistakes that happened last year and continued right into this year.  Like nothing was learned from the mistakes of last year.

He has to stop trusting McNulty.  I can't believe he is still kicking at UB, but the guy can't kick from the far hashes.  Don't attempting anything over 40 yards when you have less than 4 yards to go for a first.

The constant missed tackles.  UB was one of the worst tackling teams last year, and that continued right into this year.

The lack of commitment to an option based offense.  I don't even know what type of offense UB is running, but its terrible.  I don't know why they act like they have a QB that can throw the ball with confidence.  Myers should have been starting and they should be using his athleticism.  You can do major damage in the MAC with just running an option based offense with an athletic QB.  This team still acts like they have Jackson as QB, and the likes of Anthony Johnson and KJ Osborn at WR.

Overall, I felt like Maryland kept the game much closer than it should have been because they wanted to get Tua's brother going.  If they would have ran the ball on every down, it would have been much worse.  I don't know why UB is struggling so much against the run yet again.  I feel like no one knows their assignment.  Lots of guys just going one on one all going to the ball carrier.  Very little lane assignment and patience.  

I gave Mo a pass for last year, having less than 100 days to put a program together. My judgment starts this year. He's supposed to be a whiz at recruiting. Maybe we have talent but they have to know how to play together.

It took Lance a couple years to field a winner so I'm not going to lose my mind (yet) over one loss to a P5 team. Now if they play like crap against Holy Cross??? Anyone recall when Lance's Bulls dropped a turd at home against FCS (sm)Albany? I never want to get embarrassed like that again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.