*2023 UB Football Thread*

Buffalo716

16 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

UB had a pretty nice weekend. Some pretty good transfers ended up coming here.  Couple corners(one from Notre Dame), a finalist for fcs defensive player at Safety. Couple OL and a big WR transfer from Louisville. 

Not sure who the DC is gonna be after parting ways with Cauthen but our secondary should be very good. 

Every season for mid-majors will be like Yahtzee. Shake, spill and see what you have.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like Joe Licatta added to the staff is having a big impact on recruiting locals.   I say this just from the Twitter posts that I come across of the kids and their visits.  At least those recruited from the local talent and that show some success might be more likely to stay for the full duration of their scholarship rather than seek a transfer.

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

It seems like Joe Licatta added to the staff is having a big impact on recruiting locals.   I say this just from the Twitter posts that I come across of the kids and their visits.  At least those recruited from the local talent and that show some success might be more likely to stay for the full duration of their scholarship rather than seek a transfer.

UB has always had a handful of local guys  

Majority of them are always loyal to the program

• Buffalo716 changed the title to *2022 UB Football Thread*
14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Devin grant (athlete) ... Will Play safety at UB 

Has been given a 90 overall grade and given four stars by 247.. the highest high school recruit in the history of the program 

And a massive recruiting win to get a kid out of New York City

Is he the one related to Dean Marlowe?

On 2/11/2022 at 6:18 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Is he the one related to Dean Marlowe?

Played QB , WR and Safety in HS... Could be a D1 WR or DB 

UB really wanted him as a DB because he has an NFL future at Safety 

Lots wanted him at WR but with his size and athleticism he will wreak havoc on MAC wrs

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/25/2022 at 3:17 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Schedule just dropped. Only 5 home games this year. Maryland, Coastal Carolina and UMass on the road.

That is an awful schedule, if they can somehow upset Maryland though.

UB needs to get out of the Mac somehow, but I think they would need more attendance/better stadium to be taken seriously by another conference. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

That is an awful schedule, if they can somehow upset Maryland though.

UB needs to get out of the Mac somehow, but I think they would need more attendance/better stadium to be taken seriously by another conference. 

The last round of conference changes showed me that UB is stuck in the MAC forever. Here you have Conference USA get gutted by two rival conferences, The AAC and Sun Belt, and rather than even consider UB they add doormats like New Mexico State and several FCS schools moving up. Neither of the AAC or Sun Belt even considered UB either.

Then you have two C-USA schools offered spots in the MAC; Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State. Both chose to stay on the sinking C-USA ship than join the MAC.

Besides the obvious problems of UB like stadium and attendance, the bigger problem is Buffalo itself. Pro sports town in the north. Not a college sports market. The northeast, outside of Syracuse, is considered a college sports dead zone.

So as long as UB is a D1 school it will always be a MAC school because no one else will have them.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The last round of conference changes showed me that UB is stuck in the MAC forever. Here you have Conference USA get gutted by two rival conferences, The AAC and Sun Belt, and rather than even consider UB they add doormats like New Mexico State and several FCS schools moving up. Neither of the AAC or Sun Belt even considered UB either.

Then you have two C-USA schools offered spots in the MAC; Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State. Both chose to stay on the sinking C-USA ship than join the MAC.

Besides the obvious problems of UB like stadium and attendance, the bigger problem is Buffalo itself. Pro sports town in the north. Not a college sports market. The northeast, outside of Syracuse, is considered a college sports dead zone.

So as long as UB is a D1 school it will always be a MAC school because no one else will have them.

I really don't understand why UB doesn't take a page out of Pitt/Miami playbook and partner with the Bills and play at the pro stadium.

It would be a massive upgrade.

It really seems like a no brainer to me.

Unless the Bills/Pegulas just flat out said no to that, but i feel like we would have heard about something like that.  

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

I really don't understand why UB doesn't take a page out of Pitt/Miami playbook and partner with the Bills and play at the pro stadium.

It would be a massive upgrade.

It really seems like a no brainer to me.

Unless the Bills/Pegulas just flat out said no to that, but i feel like we would have heard about something like that.  

I'm not entirely sure why either. I had heard UB for got with a $100K bill for snow removal at the last game they played there. There is also a belief they want students on campus to be able to walk to games.

But I don't understand why they don't play one game when students are off from school, like the season finale. As for the Pegulas, didn't they invite UB to share the be stadium and the school said no?

On 3/3/2022 at 9:12 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I dont think I completely agree. IMO it would have been AAC or bust and its clear why the AAC made their choices.  CUSA seems like a downgrade at this point and Sun Belt makes zero sense geographically for the reward.  MAC seems like a pretty good safe-haven for now.  Can compete near the top in both sports.  Geographically optimal.  Wait-and-see.  hopefully grow.

As you said, the CUSA is a sinking ship.  There is going to be more shake-up in the coming years.  We may see a mid-major shake-up that sees a some of these conferences collaborating and coming together.  Maybe a few more members of the AAC get absorbed and the conference decides they would like to add to its Northeast/Mid-west footprint.     

On 2/25/2022 at 3:17 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Schedule just dropped. Only 5 home games this year. Maryland, Coastal Carolina and UMass on the road.

'Home games'?!  There hasn't been a true 'home game' since they tore down the bleachers at Rotary Field!  Now if you'll excuse me...

image.thumb.jpeg.8ac24cd6e5f43f3602c1d0c9271010db.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.