*2023 UB Football Thread*

Buffalo716

14 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Let’s be completely honest, a loss today could have set the program back a few years.  

I still think 7-5 keeps things moving forward and upward. 

They cash in though at 6-6 or worse…oh boy.  Won’t be a bounce back year next year. 

I really wouldnt put too much long-term stock on what is happening this season 

They literally had to install new systems in 2 months.. almost unheard of at that level.. while losing some key players

There's a lot of people who thought they would struggle this year because of that... Next year mo has no excuses

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I really wouldnt put too much long-term stock on what is happening this season 

They literally had to install new systems in 2 months.. almost unheard of at that level.. while losing some key players

There's a lot of people who thought they would struggle this year because of that... Next year mo has no excuses

I don’t disagree with your comment on the position they are in or even judging on wins and losses.

I was just referencing the program as a whole.  Staying at a consistent level, even given the coaching transition, helps quite a bit.  7-5 keeps the .500 or better 4 year trend going.  Even now 31-14 in their last 38, since being 2-6 in 2017.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

22 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

It’s really sad to see this fall apart so quickly. Looking like a horrible hire.  It’s getting embarrassing again. This sucks. 

Maintain some perspective. Linguist got here 100 days before the first kickoff. Not to mention losing starters that followed Lance to Kansas. This year is a mulligan.

13 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Let’s be completely honest, a loss today could have set the program back a few years.  

I still think 7-5 keeps things moving forward and upward. 

They cash in though at 6-6 or worse…oh boy.  Won’t be a bounce back year next year. 

I think 6-6 would be a miracle at this point. Like I said, this year is not a measure of Linguist as a head coach. Check back in year 3. Don't forget Leipold sucked out loud for a couple of years.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maintain some perspective. Linguist got here 100 days before the first kickoff. Not to mention losing starters that followed Lance to Kansas. This year is a mulligan.

I think 6-6 would be a miracle at this point. Like I said, this year is not a measure of Linguist as a head coach. Check back in year 3. Don't forget Leipold sucked out loud for a couple of years.

Problem I have with Mo, I don't think he was qualified so I have a way shorter leash with him.  I don't have past success to get confidence that this isn't the start of something bad.  Also, I think people are being to light on him.  There were a ton of players still around, including most of the top players (Vantrease, Marks, Patterson, Riggins). 

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Problem I have with Mo, I don't think he was qualified so I have a way shorter leash with him.  I don't have past success to get confidence that this isn't the start of something bad.  Also, I think people are being to light on him.  There were a ton of players still around, including most of the top players (Vantrease, Marks, Patterson, Riggins). 

I remember when Lance and his 109-6 won/loss record arrived at UB. He promptly lost to FCS Albany. (Or "smAllbany" as they call them on the UB chat boards, lol.) So I try not to overreact early in a coaches tenure. And this year was a total mess for all involved. 

That said, it's a healthy sign for UB's fan base to have high expectations. We are getting used to success and want it to continue. Sadly we are always going to be just a stop for coaches on the way up. If you aren't an elite blue blood program, that is your lot in life.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I remember when Lance and his 109-6 won/loss record arrived at UB. He promptly lost to FCS Albany. (Or "smAllbany" as they call them on the UB chat boards, lol.) So I try not to overreact early in a coaches tenure. And this year was a total mess for all involved. 

That said, it's a healthy sign for UB's fan base to have high expectations. We are getting used to success and want it to continue. Sadly we are always going to be just a stop for coaches on the way up. If you aren't an elite blue blood program, that is your lot in life.

I somewhat disagree with this.

yes as it stand now UB will always be a stepping stone.

UB desperately needs a new (bigger) stadium and a state of the art training facility. Tag teaming with the Bills and using their new stadium may be in UBs best interest to attract better recruits. 

I would love if they could secure a contract with a local affiliate to air all of their games, but that is a stretch at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

I somewhat disagree with this.

yes as it stand now UB will always be a stepping stone.

UB desperately needs a new (bigger) stadium and a state of the art training facility. Tag teaming with the Bills and using their new stadium may be in UBs best interest to attract better recruits. 

I would love if they could secure a contract with a local affiliate to air all of their games, but that is a stretch at this point.

The Holy Grail is an invite to the Big Ten. Academically we are slam dunk as a member of the American Association of Universities. Athletically we are miles  away.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

You've hated vantrease but now call him a top player for MO 

Listen it's been a rough season but universally there was almost nobody in college football who said it was a bad hire.. they also said he would need a season to get his stuff installed

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You've hated vantrease but now call him a top player for MO 

Listen it's been a rough season but universally there was almost nobody in college football who said it was a bad hire.. they also said he would need a season to get his stuff installed

I don't view him as a top player, but Mo does, so he can't say he is working with a raw QB.

• Agree 1

Everyone it is still so very impressive…in the last 46 games the Bulls are 32-14, with two bowl victories.

My hoped for 7-5 is still doable, but it is going to be difficult.  6-6 looks probable and Ok, but for recruiting getting to 7-5 and maybe a bowl appearance would be great.

I just don’t see them beating NIU in this final stretch, but the others are at least possible.

9 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Everyone it is still so very impressive…in the last 46 games the Bulls are 32-14, with two bowl victories.

My hoped for 7-5 is still doable, but it is going to be difficult.  6-6 looks probable and Ok, but for recruiting getting to 7-5 and maybe a bowl appearance would be great.

I just don’t see them beating NIU in this final stretch, but the others are at least possible.

Recruiting seems to be the least of MOs problems 

He needs to get his systems installed completely.. he's going to be able to recruit

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Recruiting seems to be the least of MOs problems 

He needs to get his systems installed completely.. he's going to be able to recruit

Don’t tell anyone that I said this, but…I really do love and could live with this team scoring 30 points every game and being 7-5 each year.

They just have been fun for so long.

here are some numbers based upon memory from something I sent out to a friend over the weekend.

The two “runs” in this teams recent history?

2007-2009: 18-18

2013-2015: 18-20

This 32-14 run is just so sweet.

I just love local D1 football right now.

back to back wins, helps.  😉

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Don’t tell anyone that I said this, but…I really do love and could live with this team scoring 30 points every game and being 7-5 each year.

They just have been fun for so long.

here are some numbers based upon memory from something I sent out to a friend over the weekend.

The two “runs” in this teams recent history?

2007-2009: 18-18

2013-2015: 18-20

This 32-14 run is just so sweet.

I just love local D1 football right now.

back to back wins, helps.  😉

Look at the 22 class MO is bringing in 

On paper the best in UB history 

Nik Mac from buffalo , stud WR

Mekhi Lynn , highest rated QB in UB history

Jackson paradise 225 pound bruiser! 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Look at the 22 class MO is bringing in 

On paper the best in UB history 

Nik Mac from buffalo , stud WR

Mekhi Lynn , highest rated QB in UB history

Jackson paradise 225 pound bruiser! 

716, brother, h man…come on boys, get 3/4.  Yes, I am looking forward to the future, but come on, you can do,it.

GO BULLS!

16 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I think 6-6 will be tough. 3 very good teams on the schedule and I haven't seen this team play well enough to win against a tough opponent yet. But even 5 wins is good for the mess Mo Linguist was thrown into in Buffalo. Start judging him next year or really in two years.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think 6-6 will be tough. 3 very good teams on the schedule and I haven't seen this team play well enough to win against a tough opponent yet. But even 5 wins is good for the mess Mo Linguist was thrown into in Buffalo. Start judging him next year or really in two years.

Promo, you need to fess up a bit though, my friend.  You've now said twice that 6-6 will be tough.

Yes, this team is banged up right now, but I believe the Bulls will win the next game and go to 5-4.  The NIU game?  Forget about it, yes.  That one is a loss.  

Do you really think they can't beat Miami (Nov 9th, 4-4, 2-2, 3-0 at home) or Ball State (Nov 23rd, 4-4, 2-2, 3-1 at home)?

45 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Promo, you need to fess up a bit though, my friend.  You've now said twice that 6-6 will be tough.

Yes, this team is banged up right now, but I believe the Bulls will win the next game and go to 5-4.  The NIU game?  Forget about it, yes.  That one is a loss.  

Do you really think they can't beat Miami (Nov 9th, 4-4, 2-2, 3-0 at home) or Ball State (Nov 23rd, 4-4, 2-2, 3-1 at home)?

Not impossible. Just very troubled by the inconsistency on both sides of the ball. Does not fill me with optimism. I do think BGSU this weekend is a win (FYI, I have 3 tickets that I can't use now. Anyone want them, PM me.) Not confident with the last three games. But it's the MAC. You never know.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2021 at 3:01 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Not impossible. Just very troubled by the inconsistency on both sides of the ball. Does not fill me with optimism. I do think BGSU this weekend is a win (FYI, I have 3 tickets that I can't use now. Anyone want them, PM me.) Not confident with the last three games. But it's the MAC. You never know.

I would so love to take you up on those tickets, Promo, but we have a couples religious study on Saturday. My wife would be cool with me missing it, but I wouldn’t.  I want to send the right message to my wife and family.

GO BULLS!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.