*2023 UB Football Thread*

Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I am talking about college basketball yes Buffalo at one time was a big time college basketball town who played a power basketball schedule from 1940 when Buffalo Memorial Auditorium first opened until the early to mid 1970’s. Buffalo Memorial Auditorium Little Three Basketball, MSG CCNY and St John’s and Philadelphia Big 5 was major college basketball. Professional sports in Buffalo put a end to that with the Buffalo Bills in 1960. But before the Buffalo Bills it was Little Three basketball mafia because that is what was king sports wise in Buffalo it’s a fact. I am not talking college football. I am talking college basketball Buffalo was once a big one. Schools came by railroad to Memorial Auditorium and MSG they were marketing actual game basketball’s together in game programs. Canisius College basketball was huge in the 1950’s. As was St Bonaventure and Niagara. Of course that is when the Buffalo East Side was also huge with major department stores that all eventually left for the suburbs. Read Buffalo’s history and as you do you will start to understand why Buffalo Super Fan has zero belief our local Western New York area leaders today know what they are doing. UB Alumni Arena isn’t a major college basketball arena. The last major college basketball arena Buffalo had was Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. Key Bank Center host NCAA Tournament games for now yes I know. But Key Bank Center is a terrible basketball arena it’s a big reason why Buffalo couldn’t sellout Kentucky and Syracuse when it opened because Key Bank Center has terrible sight lines for college basketball. When the Buffalo Sabres raised the hockey capacity to 19,000 from the 16,500 or so from the old Buffalo Memorial Auditorium and totally botched the seating bowl not just hockey but basketball the sight lines are even worse. If you are in the 300’s at Key Bank Center you mind as well be at home because there is no atmosphere with the lower 100’s and 200’s in the 300’s like the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo! Happy Thanksgiving 

Having a couple of good seasons here and there doesn't make you a powerhouse for NU or canisius... They were solid 

St Bonaventure was a regional powerhouse that still plays good basketball 

UCLA was a national powerhouse... 

You're using revisionist history... There was good division 1 basketball in the area

And they made an occasional run

They were not powerhouses who were bringing home national championships

They were successful regional schools... Canisius and Niagara were not making deep tournament runs for a decade straight

Niagara was ranked in the final poll twice from 1950 to 1975.. One Sweet 16

Canisius had a good run the mid-50s... With a couple of elite eights and a sweet 16... Then instantly became a 2 win program and three straight under .500 years... They didn't have consistency

It was good basketball , they were not destined to be Duke

Bonnies had the most success and are still a good basketball school.... But it's not 1960 which you fail to understand

The area doesn't put out as many division one prospects as it did 70 years ago which makes it harder to recruit... Canisius Niagara and bonaventures don't have a big pool of Western New York players to recruit from

Bob Lanier is not coming through the door of bonaventures anytime soon

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Dislike 1

On 11/22/2023 at 11:54 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Having a couple of good seasons here and there doesn't make you a powerhouse for NU or canisius... They were solid 

St Bonaventure was a regional powerhouse that still plays good basketball 

UCLA was a national powerhouse... 

You're using revisionist history... There was good division 1 basketball in the area

And they made an occasional run

They were not powerhouses who were bringing home national championships

They were successful regional schools... Canisius and Niagara were not making deep tournament runs for a decade straight

Niagara was ranked in the final poll twice from 1950 to 1975.. One Sweet 16

Canisius had a good run the mid-50s... With a couple of elite eights and a sweet 16... Then instantly became a 2 win program and three straight under .500 years... They didn't have consistency

It was good basketball , they were not destined to be Duke

Bonnies had the most success and are still a good basketball school.... But it's not 1960 which you fail to understand

The area doesn't put out as many division one prospects as it did 70 years ago which makes it harder to recruit... Canisius Niagara and bonaventures don't have a big pool of Western New York players to recruit from

Bob Lanier is not coming through the door of bonaventures anytime soon

You are failing to understand Buffalo had nothing else major during those years in the 1940’s through early 1960’s Western New York was definitely a power in college basketball. Look at the schedules. PAC  8 schools came to Buffalo Memorial Auditorium on there way to MSG. There was no conferences no one gave a rip about Gonzaga or the PAC 8. College basketball went through the East. UCLA was nothing until John Wooden along the help of Sam Gilbert who bought the players changed that in the mid 1960’s. College basketball went through New York and Philadelphia few gave a crap about the West Coast that minds as well be Europe. Western New York College basketball was good remember there were few teams in the NCAA tournament. What hurt college sports here were two things the main being professional sports came to town. And two when there were more conferences added Western New York schools weren’t aligned in a good power conference for television.

Providence Friars in the Big East Conference is a tiny college with 4,800 students today hardly the stuff of big time anything but they were aligned with the right power players to get into the Big East Conference while Western New York were picking there nose watching the Queen Mary go bye as always. In 1979 when the Big East Conference was formed Providence College had 3,000 students hardly big time in a tiny state Rhode Island. Western New York got screwed out of the Big East Conference surely St Bonaventure Bonnies should be playing out of the Big East Conference at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in 1979 when the NBA Buffalo Braves left.

If that happen and Western New York wasn’t stuck with the mid major crap we have things today things would have been different. The conference formation was the final nail for big time college basketball in Western New York. I would put up the Bonnies in the Big East Conference at Key Bank Center over the Providence Friars any day. Yes the conference affiliations affects interest and attendance. I am saying that as a Canisius College alum. St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball program was at a high enough level in 1979 that they should have been included in the Big East Conference at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium instead of relegated to the Eastern 8 Conference. The Buffalo Sabres were so wrapped up with their own greed forcing the Buffalo Braves out instead of joining together to get a new arena in the early 1980’s Buffalo needed a new arena. Buffalo has been and is still backwards a day late and a dollar short. I am I surprised how the Buffalo Sabres ended up? No the Buffalo Sabres have no one to blame but themselves for their own greed and it was way before Terry Pegula the problems with the Buffalo Sabres they are like anything else in Buffalo no economic plan or vision the same will eventually happen to the Buffalo Bills too in my opinion. Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

You are failing to understand Buffalo had nothing else major during those years in the 1940’s through early 1960’s Western New York was definitely a power in college basketball. Look at the schedules. PAC  8 schools came to Buffalo Memorial Auditorium on there way to MSG. There was no conferences no one gave a rip about Gonzaga or the PAC 8. College basketball went through the East. UCLA was nothing until John Wooden along the help of Sam Gilbert who bought the players changed that in the mid 1960’s. College basketball went through New York and Philadelphia few gave a crap about the West Coast that minds as well be Europe. Western New York College basketball was good remember there were few teams in the NCAA tournament. What hurt college sports here were two things the main being professional sports came to town. And two when there were more conferences added Western New York schools weren’t aligned in a good power conference for television.

Providence Friars in the Big East Conference is a tiny college with 4,800 students today hardly the stuff of big time anything but they were aligned with the right power players to get into the Big East Conference while Western New York were picking there nose watching the Queen Mary go bye as always. In 1979 when the Big East Conference was formed Providence College had 3,000 students hardly big time in a tiny state Rhode Island. Western New York got screwed out of the Big East Conference surely St Bonaventure Bonnies should be playing out of the Big East Conference at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in 1979 when the NBA Buffalo Braves left.

If that happen and Western New York wasn’t stuck with the mid major crap we have things today things would have been different. The conference formation was the final nail for big time college basketball in Western New York. I would put up the Bonnies in the Big East Conference at Key Bank Center over the Providence Friars any day. Yes the conference affiliations affects interest and attendance. I am saying that as a Canisius College alum. St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball program was at a high enough level in 1979 that they should have been included in the Big East Conference at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium instead of relegated to the Eastern 8 Conference. The Buffalo Sabres were so wrapped up with their own greed forcing the Buffalo Braves out instead of joining together to get a new arena in the early 1980’s Buffalo needed a new arena. Buffalo has been and is still backwards a day late and a dollar short. I am I surprised how the Buffalo Sabres ended up? No the Buffalo Sabres have no one to blame but themselves for their own greed and it was way before Terry Pegula the problems with the Buffalo Sabres they are like anything else in Buffalo no economic plan or vision the same will eventually happen to the Buffalo Bills too in my opinion. Let’s Go Buffalo 

I said they played good basketball... Calling them a power is not true... Powerhouses have accolades or sustained success

Between the three schools... You don't have one championship... Or one runner-up.... Canisius had a good run and disappeared

Combined you have one final four, two elite 8s and 7 sweet 16 from 50-85.. 

Syracuse has 1 natty , 2 runner ups, 6 final 4s, 10 elite 8s, and 21 sweet 16s and is considered a borderline powerhouse from 78-2015

That's a borderline powerhouse

And between 1951 and 1960... The only two Northern schools to win a national championship were LaSalle in Pennsylvania and Ohio state

Kansas, Indiana, San Francisco, Kentucky , North Carolina, and California

Plenty of champions out west and still in the Midwest in the 50s... Kentucky was a power in the 50s

And you're still not registering the fact that there are less division 1 basketball players in this area than their were in 1950-70

St bonaventure's can't recruit the number one pick in the draft

https://ainsworthsports.com/basketball_college_rankings_by_decade_1950s.htm

Here's a ranking of the best basketball programs of the 1950s

Canisius at a highly respectable 37..  not a powerhouse yet a really good program

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Dislike 1

On 12/1/2023 at 5:11 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

They did fire the OC today for whatever that's worth.

The UB Bulls offensive coordinator had to go. The best news for UB Bulls football is our opponents in the MAC are losing their star QB’s and players to the transfer portal that are way better than what UB lost other than the LB Dolec and the WR Johnson we didn’t lose as much as some of these MAC schools lost because MAC schools can’t afford to pay NIL like some of these schools.

Major changes are coming to the top level of college football FCS and FBS will be the same. But there is a plan by the NCAA to have a Division above FBS that has trust funds of $30,000 a year for student athletes which is $120,000 for 4 years. They will still play FBS games and be in the NCAA. But there is no way schools like Syracuse Orange are paying that at a private school. It’s not just for football it’s for all sports men’s and women’s sports get the same trust fund to satisfy Title 9. That is why I say UB Bulls just have to worry about their MAC opponents there is going to be a lot of what college football fans that think of major teams coming down from the so called power conferences in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.