*2023 UB Football Thread*

Buffalo716

22 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Thank you Jaret for everything

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How did I know, Promo, that YOU were going to beat me to this?  🤣

I should have gotten into work earlier.  

Is this perfect, my friend?  No.  7-0 obviously would have been.  However, in th alternative I can't think of a better period on the season.

Congrats UB on the first ever top 25 finish to a season!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

That's great.  Figured it was a long shot after ball state leapfrogged them 

Marks transfer portal is a bit of bad news tho

It's like free agency for college. What can you do? Lance seems to have the pipeline stocked with the next man up. Cooks might be that guy next year.

But it works for UB too. They raid smaller schools as well. That's just how it's gonna be from now on.

2 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Marks withdrew his name from the transfer portal.

Great news for UB.

He supposedly had some big programs calling on him. But as RB#1? That's probably why he's coming back. Better to be THE guy at a mid-major than a bit player in the Power 5.

• Buffalo716 changed the title to *2021 UB Football Thread*
12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

UB has added a late addition to it's signing class 

Adding Standout WR Jamari Bassett from Florida. A legitimate big play threat who had over 20 D1 scholarship offers 

This kid can fly

Running a successful program breeds additional success. Another factor in the elevation of the program is the weeknight MAC games shown on national TV. I'm sure that the added exposure has helped to attract more recruits to the program. Also, playing an exciting brand of football also is enticing to the prospects. 

Just now, JohnC said:

Running a successful program breeds additional success. Another factor in the elevation of the program is the weeknight MAC games shown on national TV. I'm sure that the added exposure has helped to attract more recruits to the program. Also, playing an exciting brand of football also is enticing to the prospects. 

You know what is enticing to recruits? 

Having a coach like Lance Leipold who can recruit and develop under the radar talent.. now that hes shown that he can build a program that is sustainable he is getting better players out of HS

He has developed and shown off under the radar recruits like Jarrett Patterson, Kevin marks, KJ Osborne, Anthony Johnson, Antonio Nunn, James O Hagan, Joey banks, kadofi wright etc 

None of these kids came to UB with any sort of pedigree or big stars next to them. Now that Lance can consistently pull guys with three stars next to them, and he can develop them.... Sky is the limit

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Les Miles fired last night at Kansas. Leipold’s name being floated as an option to replace him. 

Leipold was under consideration for the Tennessee job and as you point out his name is being floated for the Kansas job. Is Leipold desiring to move up into a bigger albeit more challenging situation? I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to step up into a bigger and more lucrative job. When Leipold took over UB it was a dead and invisible program in a second tier conference. No one can deny that Leipod has done a magnificent job in a longshot program. 

Look what happened when UB's basketball program was revived by Hurley? He left for a bigger program. And then he was replaced by Nate Oates who lifted the program even higher. He left for the more prominent job at Alabama where he has done a masterful job and should make him a coach of the year candidate. When a coach does a good job in a mid-tier program it becomes a breeding ground for the bigger programs to draw from. If Leipold would have been a little younger he would have been long gone. He still would be a good candidate for a coaching job such as Kansas that requires a rebuilding job. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Leipold was under consideration for the Tennessee job and as you point out his name is being floated for the Kansas job. Is Leipold desiring to move up into a bigger albeit more challenging situation? I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to step up into a bigger and more lucrative job. When Leipold took over UB it was a dead and invisible program in a second tier conference. No one can deny that Leipod has done a magnificent job in a longshot program. 

Look what happened when UB's basketball program was revived by Hurley? He left for a bigger program. And then he was replaced by Nate Oates who lifted the program even higher. He left for the more prominent job at Alabama where he has done a masterful job and should make him a coach of the year candidate. When a coach does a good job in a mid-tier program it becomes a breeding ground for the bigger programs to draw from. If Leipold would have been a little younger he would have been long gone. He still would be a good candidate for a coaching job such as Kansas that requires a rebuilding job. 

If he was a young coach sure, being in 56 , it doesn't make much sense to go to another rebuilding program

Edited by Buffalo716

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If he was a young coach sure, being in 56 , it doesn't make much sense to go to another rebuilding program

He was in consideration for the Tennessee job. That tells you that he is receptive to go to a bigger program that needs a major rebuild. And it should be noted that he is seven years younger than Miles who took on a major rebuild job when he was 60 yrs old. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He was in consideration for the Tennessee job. That tells you that he is receptive to go to a bigger program that needs a major rebuild. And it should be noted that he is seven years younger than Miles who took on a major rebuild job when he was 60 yrs old. 

I would say that not everybody is equal. Just because les did at

an older age doesn't mean lance would 

And by all accounts I would say tennessee was more interested than lance.. he's not trying to run out of Buffalo at the first chance let alone too Kansas

And Kansas is a much bigger rebuild than Tennessee

Edited by Buffalo716

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would say that not everybody is equal. Just because les did at

an older age doesn't mean lance would 

And by all accounts I would say tennessee was more interested than lance.. he's not trying to run out of Buffalo at the first chance let alone too Kansas

And Kansas is a much bigger rebuild than Tennessee

I'm not suggesting that Lance is desperate to get out of Buffalo. But what is evident is that he is willing to consider other opportunities.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.