*2023 UB Football Thread*

Buffalo716

On 12/21/2019 at 8:23 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

It's too early to do math but that sounds right. 

This game was by far the best I've seen a Lance Leipold team play. It was Kyle Vantrese's best game as a UB QB. It was the best game for the UB defense, especially Ladarius Mack. Even the kicking that cost us the Ohio game earlier this season was perfect. It felt good to get the bowl game monkey off their backs.

This game also makes up, somewhat, for the pathetic choke jobs in the last year. But it's hard to forget 2 blown 4th quarter leads of 21 and 19 points. That keeps me from getting too giddy over that 18-9 record.

But looking at the big picture, UB football, and basketball, have come a long long way from 15-20 years ago when just winning a game, any game, was an accomplishment.

This game also got me thinking about conferences. Conference USA, which Charlotte belongs to, is made up of many large urban public universities, in cities like Houston, Miami, and San Antonio. Schools that are more like UB than the directional Michigan schools in the MAC. I wonder if UB ought to try and get in that group since it seems the American is not that interested. Either way, I think they need to leave the MAC eventually.

It is a great thing.  At the very least, the programs have established long-term residency in the top 3rd-quarter of the MAC, which is pretty outstanding progress.  

Conference USA seems like it has become a South-locked conference.  Logistically, for all sports, it sounds like a much worse option than the MAC, and I don't think it is that large of an upgrade.

It did sound like the AAC didnt rule out expanding.  They put it on the backburner.  I feel like if Buffalo was really motivated to make it happen, they could do it.  

On 1/7/2020 at 7:18 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Is this guy good?

Apparently picked UB over Penn, Yale and Rutgers.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/jalen-mcnair-223013

He is your typical MAC corner.

Under sized, not super fast... But  physical for his size and willing to get his nose dirty

I would have to think a redshirt year is in order

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 11:34 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Nice bump for Lance but it's also a hedge for the school, increasing his buyout price, in case he takes a new job at a larger program.

He's gotta win more before he gets a call. 0 MAC championships and he's an older coach already

I think he's the best coach in modern UB history but he has atleast 2 more years

• 3 weeks later...

@JohnC @PromoTheRobotrecruiting class is looking solid.. not heralded by rankings but I like what they've done

UB has really expanded their pipeline and have strong presence in the south

Some good DTs and Safety's. A D end with really good potential

Good RB as always

Some solid lineman including WNY lineman of year and a QB

A couple local kids from Joe's and Canisius  HS

And yes a few JUCO kids . A JUCO Safety and WR

17 kids in all I bullieve

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Things worked out pretty lucky for the 9 Bulls players who participated in Wednesday's Pro Day.  I believe within hours that evening, the plug was pulled on all Pro Day's around the country at various schools.  NFL Scouts pulled their guys back. 

Imagine working that hard to prepare for it and having your day cancelled.   So many disappointments for athletes around the country this spring. 

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.