Bandit's Projected 53

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

in the  What have you done for me lately world .....  Yeldon in the pass game is better than Yeldon in the run game. 

Is a RB who can't run well really worthy? 

I mean look how many want to trade Shady because his #'s are down rushing 

Is he really a RB who can't run? He averages 4.0 carry, the key word is Average!

Good list, Bandit! I only have 5 edits:

1. Yeldon over Murphy

2. Joseph over Lacey

3. J. Johnson over Marlowe

4. Kroft (no PUP) over Teller (traded today)

5. Keeping Bojorquez at the moment (waiting to see what punters get cut)

As others have already mentioned: Murphy, Lacey, and Marlowe are players you can easily pick up during the regular season when injuries take a toll; Yeldon, Joseph, and J. Johnson are not. Yeldon is an interesting matchup RB who will be active or inactive depending on the defense we face each week. Joseph and J. Johnson are destined for the 7-man inactive list but have great potential to be NFL starters down the line.

Well based on who did and didn't play tonight, I'd think Yeldon and McKenzie are on the roster. Williams may still be on the bubble.  I'll be surprised if they keep 7 WR  To keep more than the norm at a position, (typically 6) player needs to be someone who you know will be grabbed up quickly by another team and likely will become a star in time.  Outside of Brown and Beasley, (and they are a stretch) can't say that about any of our WR so doubt they worry about keeping 7.  Do think Mutterlyn also makes the roster.  If Gaines had stayed healthy, he was on the team and Mutterlyn basically took his roster spot.

8 hours ago, dneveu said:

The issue isn't whether they can do it.  The long snapper has to spend a lot of time on the special teams field with the kicker and punter (hence punters traditionally holding for field goals).  You wouldn't be able to get the necessary practice time and instruction if your center were constantly snapping to the kicker and punter.

If you watch the sidelines when attending a game, depending on where the Bills have the ball, the ST long snapper keeps warm snapping to the punter for a punt or hold.  I guess a backup center could be doing this but having a LS allows that player to have muscle memory on the snap.  Otherwise, with a regular center, you could have those shotgun snaps that go over the QBs head.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well based on who did and didn't play tonight, I'd think Yeldon and McKenzie are on the roster. Williams may still be on the bubble.  I'll be surprised if they keep 7 WR  To keep more than the norm at a position, (typically 6) player needs to be someone who you know will be grabbed up quickly by another team and likely will become a star in time.  Outside of Brown and Beasley, (and they are a stretch) can't say that about any of our WR so doubt they worry about keeping 7.  Do think Mutterlyn also makes the roster.  If Gaines had stayed healthy, he was on the team and Mutterlyn basically took his roster spot.

Though I spent the entire day having fun with all of Duke's fan boys in here,  I believe he's going to make the team as the #6 or #7 WR. Obviously that means I think they will keep 7 WRs.

14 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Side note, but you would think by now a center would have came along who can long snap and regular snap. Would be nice if teams did not have to use a roster spot on that position. 

Or they just expand the roster to 54.  Having a long snapper make the league minimum isn't going to drastically alter salaries.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Is he really a RB who can't run? He averages 4.0 carry, the key word is Average!

From what I saw this PS his running was horrid. 

For his career.  4 years 104 carries......  that is 1.625 carries per game.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/players-roster/t-j-yeldon/

Update after last night's game:

QB (2) - J. Allen, M. Barkley

RB (4) - L. McCoy, F. Gore, D. Singletary, T. Yeldon

FB (1) - P. DiMarco

TE (4) - D. Knox, T. Sweeney, L. Smith, T. Kroft

WR (6) - J. Brown, C. Beasley, Z. Jones, R. Foster, A. Roberts, I. McKenzie

OL (9) - D. Dawkins, Q. Spain, M. Morse, C. Ford, T. Nsekhe, J. Feliciano, R. Bates, S. Long, I. Boettger

ST (3) - R. Ferguson, S. Hauschka, B. Colquitt (projected trade with Cleveland)

DE (4) - J. Hughes, T. Murphy, S. Lawson, D. Johnson

DT (4) - S. Lotuleilei, E. Oliver, J. Phillips, H. Phillips

LB (6) - M. Milano, T. Edmunds, L. Alexander, C. Thompson, J. Stanford, D. Lacey

CB (6) - T. White, L. Wallace, T. Johnson, K. Johnson, S. Neal, L. Pitts

S (4) - M. Hyde, J. Poyer, K. Coleman, D. Marlowe

PS - T. Jackson, C. Wade, D. Johnson, J. Jones, V. Joseph, D. Rice, J. Johnson

Changes:

Yeldon makes it over Murphy - when he didn't even play last night and Murphy is still in the game returning punts in the 4th, that tells you something

Kroft from PUP to active roster based upon Beane's comments

Cut Duke Williams - Final roster spot on offense will come down to a 7th WR or a 9th OLman; I went with the OLman

I. Boettger from PS to active roster after Teller trade

Sticking with Marlowe over J. Johnson; Johnson is active in run support, but just doesn't look good in coverage. He needs a year of seasoning on the PS.

•  
Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

Why I think DiMarco makes it:

Albert Breer’s Gameplan

For whatever reason I can’t post the text, but basically Shanahan says that having a  versatile fullback forces the defense into advantageous personnel groupings for the offense.  I’m pretty sure Daboll feels the same way.  So while fans here keep focusing on what DiMarco can and cannot do as a player, the better analysis is what having DiMarco on the field does to create formations and matchups Daboll hopes to exploit.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Why I think DiMarco makes it:

Albert Breer’s Gameplan

For whatever reason I can’t post the text, but basically Shanahan says that having a  versatile fullback forces the defense into advantageous personnel groupings for the offense.  I’m pretty sure Daboll feels the same way.  So while fans here keep focusing on what DiMarco can and cannot do as a player, the better analysis is what having DiMarco on the field does to create formations and matchups Daboll hopes to exploit.

Absolutely.

You saw it on multiple occasions last year when the personnel groupings and play structure resulted in him being left obnoxiously wide open on wheel routes for huge gainers.

I'd also like to point out that he gained 71 offensive yards on only 4 touches, and that includes a reception for zero yards against NE, so it's not like the guy can't be effective when given opportunities.

• Like (+1) 1