Jump to content
thebandit27

Bandit's Projected 53

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Side note, but you would think by now a center would have came along who can long snap and regular snap. Would be nice if teams did not have to use a roster spot on that position. 

Or they just expand the roster to 54.  Having a long snapper make the league minimum isn't going to drastically alter salaries.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Is he really a RB who can't run? He averages 4.0 carry, the key word is Average!

From what I saw this PS his running was horrid. 

 

For his career.  4 years 104 carries......  that is 1.625 carries per game.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/players-roster/t-j-yeldon/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish the roster were more then 53 , hate to see good players leave. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Or they just expand the roster to 54.  Having a long snapper make the league minimum isn't going to drastically alter salaries.

 

Maybe they already did this from 52?!?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks pretty solid.

 

I suppose if I had any differences it would be Yeldon, Johnson and Munnerlyn would make the team.  Maybe Kroft and Joseph as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Update after last night's game:

 

QB (2) - J. Allen, M. Barkley

RB (4) - L. McCoy, F. Gore, D. Singletary, T. Yeldon

FB (1) - P. DiMarco

TE (4) - D. Knox, T. Sweeney, L. Smith, T. Kroft

WR (6) - J. Brown, C. Beasley, Z. Jones, R. Foster, A. Roberts, I. McKenzie

OL (9) - D. Dawkins, Q. Spain, M. Morse, C. Ford, T. Nsekhe, J. Feliciano, R. Bates, S. Long, I. Boettger

ST (3) - R. Ferguson, S. Hauschka, B. Colquitt (projected trade with Cleveland)

DE (4) - J. Hughes, T. Murphy, S. Lawson, D. Johnson

DT (4) - S. Lotuleilei, E. Oliver, J. Phillips, H. Phillips

LB (6) - M. Milano, T. Edmunds, L. Alexander, C. Thompson, J. Stanford, D. Lacey

CB (6) - T. White, L. Wallace, T. Johnson, K. Johnson, S. Neal, L. Pitts

S (4) - M. Hyde, J. Poyer, K. Coleman, D. Marlowe

 

 

PS - T. Jackson, C. Wade, D. Johnson, J. Jones, V. Joseph, D. Rice, J. Johnson

 

Changes:

Yeldon makes it over Murphy - when he didn't even play last night and Murphy is still in the game returning punts in the 4th, that tells you something

Kroft from PUP to active roster based upon Beane's comments

Cut Duke Williams - Final roster spot on offense will come down to a 7th WR or a 9th OLman; I went with the OLman

I. Boettger from PS to active roster after Teller trade

 

Sticking with Marlowe over J. Johnson; Johnson is active in run support, but just doesn't look good in coverage. He needs a year of seasoning on the PS.

  •  
Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why I think DiMarco makes it:

 

Albert Breer’s Gameplan


For whatever reason I can’t post the text, but basically Shanahan says that having a  versatile fullback forces the defense into advantageous personnel groupings for the offense.  I’m pretty sure Daboll feels the same way.  So while fans here keep focusing on what DiMarco can and cannot do as a player, the better analysis is what having DiMarco on the field does to create formations and matchups Daboll hopes to exploit.

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would make one change , Duke Williams for I. McKenzie 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Why I think DiMarco makes it:

 

Albert Breer’s Gameplan


For whatever reason I can’t post the text, but basically Shanahan says that having a  versatile fullback forces the defense into advantageous personnel groupings for the offense.  I’m pretty sure Daboll feels the same way.  So while fans here keep focusing on what DiMarco can and cannot do as a player, the better analysis is what having DiMarco on the field does to create formations and matchups Daboll hopes to exploit.

 

 

Absolutely.

 

You saw it on multiple occasions last year when the personnel groupings and play structure resulted in him being left obnoxiously wide open on wheel routes for huge gainers.

 

I'd also like to point out that he gained 71 offensive yards on only 4 touches, and that includes a reception for zero yards against NE, so it's not like the guy can't be effective when given opportunities.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think that the Bills keep 7 WRs with Duke also making it. Jaquan Johnson makes it for me as well. I think only 2 of Boettger/Long/Bates make the team. I will go with Long & Bates. There’s no way that I would keep 4 TEs plus a FB but suspect that the Bills will. There’s where I’d find the other roster spot but my guess is that it is one of Pitts/Neal/Marlowe that has Johnson’s spot. 

 

So I guess from your list:

out: Boettger

out: Marlowe (last cut) 

in: Williams

in: Johnson

 

If Kroft isn’t ready I think Marlowe makes it and Smith is released when Kroft comes back. 

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marlowe could be added and released repeatedly throughout the season - he’s that kind of player for us.  J. Johnson is too valuable and risky to expose to waivers.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Murphy call.  I’d keep him over Yeldon too.  

 

I really like what I’ve seen from Jaquan Johnson.  Marlowe might make it because he can help the team more this season if they think they can sneak johnson onto the PS. 

 

Ditto to the above remark when talking about Lacey vs Joseph.  Lacey can help up this year.  I doubt Jospeh can help in 2019.

 

7 WRs-  yes please.  You got the right 7.

 

Munnerlyn vs Pitts.  I haven’t really watched munnerlyn since he’s been a Bill.  How has he played?  Strictly playing inside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I figured I'd take a shot at predicting the final 53 prior to the last preseason game.

 

I'll come back and make an update after tonight's game, but for now, here's my take...

 

QB (2) - J. Allen, M. Barkley

RB (4) - L. McCoy, F. Gore, D. Singletary, M. Murphy

FB (1) - P. DiMarco

TE (3) - D. Knox, T. Sweeney, L. Smith

WR (7) - J. Brown, C. Beasley, Z. Jones, R. Foster, A. Roberts, I. McKenzie, D. Williams

OL (9) - D. Dawkins, Q. Spain, M. Morse, C. Ford, T. Nsekhe, J. Feliciano, R. Bates, S. Long, W. Teller

ST (3) - R. Ferguson, S. Hauschka, B. Colquitt (projected trade with Cleveland)

DE (4) - J. Hughes, T. Murphy, S. Lawson, D. Johnson

DT (4) - S. Lotuleilei, E. Oliver, J. Phillips, H. Phillips

LB (6) - M. Milano, T. Edmunds, L. Alexander, C. Thompson, J. Stanford, D. Lacey

CB (6) - T. White, L. Wallace, T. Johnson, K. Johnson, S. Neal, L. Pitts

S (4) - M. Hyde, J. Poyer, K. Coleman, D. Marlowe

 

PUP - T. Kroft

 

PS - T. Jackson, C. Wade, R. McCloud, I. Boettger, J. Jones, V. Joseph, D. Rice, J. Johnson

I don't think Joseph or Johnson clears waivers. Cut Marlowe, insert Johnson. Lacey out, Yeldon gets his spot. Cut/trade Pitts, insert Joseph. I'm still lost on Dimarco, why???

Edited by the skycap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ColeB said:

 

If you watch the sidelines when attending a game, depending on where the Bills have the ball, the ST long snapper keeps warm snapping to the punter for a punt or hold.  I guess a backup center could be doing this but having a LS allows that player to have muscle memory on the snap.  Otherwise, with a regular center, you could have those shotgun snaps that go over the QBs head.

 

like 90% of the time its fourth down too.  Really little margin for error - a bad snap on a punt or field goal is like a pick 6. 

19 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I don't think Joseph or Johnson clears waivers. Cut Marlowe, insert Johnson. Lacey out, Yeldon gets his spot. Cut/trade Pitts, insert Joseph. I'm still lost on Dimarco, why???

 

Special teams captain i think.  Locker room leadership is important.. more important than the 4th string running back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dneveu said:

 

like 90% of the time its fourth down too.  Really little margin for error - a bad snap on a punt or field goal is like a pick 6. 

 

Special teams captain i think.  Locker room leadership is important.. more important than the 4th string running back.

Frank Gore, Lorax, Captain. Not to mention Hyde, Poyer, etc.. How many locker room leaders do you need?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Side note, but you would think by now a center would have came along who can long snap and regular snap. Would be nice if teams did not have to use a roster spot on that position. 

 

Maybe having to tackle on the punt team is the concern? Most centers wouldn't be the best to track one of the fastest players on the field down. Also, don't want your center getting injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Why I think DiMarco makes it:

 

Albert Breer’s Gameplan


For whatever reason I can’t post the text, but basically Shanahan says that having a  versatile fullback forces the defense into advantageous personnel groupings for the offense.  I’m pretty sure Daboll feels the same way.  So while fans here keep focusing on what DiMarco can and cannot do as a player, the better analysis is what having DiMarco on the field does to create formations and matchups Daboll hopes to exploit.

 

 

This. This. And all of this. 

 

Also:

Jaquan Johnson is making the team. Agree very much that Joseph probably doesn't. I think Dodson might even beat him to the PS too. 

My biggest disappointment is it looks like they are going to keep Yeldon. Yuck. 

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

 

Munnerlyn vs Pitts.  I haven’t really watched munnerlyn since he’s been a Bill.  How has he played?  Strictly playing inside?

 

Mainly poorly. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

This. This. And all of this. 

 

Also:

Jaquan Johnson is making the team. Agree very much that Joseph probably doesn't. I think Dodson might even beat him to the PS too. 

My biggest disappointment is it looks like they are going to keep Yeldon. Yuck. 

 

Mainly poorly. 

Copy that.  Thanks GB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Frank Gore, Lorax, Captain. Not to mention Hyde, Poyer, etc.. How many locker room leaders do you need?? 

 

I dunno. More?

 

Teams feature a fullback a little bit of the time. But removing him puts a much worse player in that position.  He was active every game. Whereas Murphy/yeldon will not be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

 

I dunno. More?

 

Teams feature a fullback a little bit of the time. But removing him puts a much worse player in that position.  He was active every game. Whereas Murphy/yeldon will not be.

I don't know about that. Is Lee Smith any worse than DiMarco? How about Jason Croom? These guys can line up as H-backs and probably provide more offensive production than DiMarco did. My short yardage guy would be Gore anyways. I just grow weary of McDermott and his "guys" that don't produce much a la Preseason Peterman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Side note, but you would think by now a center would have came along who can long snap and regular snap. Would be nice if teams did not have to use a roster spot on that position. 

One reason teams will continue to do it is because of practice reps. Same reason the punter is usually the holder. That exchange needs to be perfect every single time because if its not a snap is high or low, it can be a disastrous play. With margins being so slim between winning and losing, most coaches are going to want that to be perfect

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I figured I'd take a shot at predicting the final 53 prior to the last preseason game.

 

I'll come back and make an update after tonight's game, but for now, here's my take...

 

QB (2) - J. Allen, M. Barkley

RB (4) - L. McCoy, F. Gore, D. Singletary, M. Murphy

FB (1) - P. DiMarco

TE (3) - D. Knox, T. Sweeney, L. Smith

WR (7) - J. Brown, C. Beasley, Z. Jones, R. Foster, A. Roberts, I. McKenzie, D. Williams

OL (9) - D. Dawkins, Q. Spain, M. Morse, C. Ford, T. Nsekhe, J. Feliciano, R. Bates, S. Long, W. Teller

ST (3) - R. Ferguson, S. Hauschka, B. Colquitt (projected trade with Cleveland)

DE (4) - J. Hughes, T. Murphy, S. Lawson, D. Johnson

DT (4) - S. Lotuleilei, E. Oliver, J. Phillips, H. Phillips

LB (6) - M. Milano, T. Edmunds, L. Alexander, C. Thompson, J. Stanford, D. Lacey

CB (6) - T. White, L. Wallace, T. Johnson, K. Johnson, S. Neal, L. Pitts

S (4) - M. Hyde, J. Poyer, K. Coleman, D. Marlowe

 

PUP - T. Kroft

 

PS - T. Jackson, C. Wade, R. McCloud, I. Boettger, J. Jones, V. Joseph, D. Rice, J. Johnson

7-9 again

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

Nice, Bandito.  This 53 would make me very happy!

Thanks man! haha

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think 9 OLinemen is unlikely...especially with the position flexibility they have in their top 7-8.  Will probably carry an extra WR, LB or secondary player instead, IMO. 

 

Outside of that, and maybe who the bubble guys are a RB, S and CB...I agree with your prediction.

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some tough cuts. We need to keep Duke. Do we really need four RB? Everyone seems to think we will keep four, and we probably will, and sure, Gore and MCoy are old, but Singletary is not. Two of them would have to get injured in one game for it to be any  real risk. We also may be able to get away with three safeties if Neal is one of six cornerbacks. He could also be the fourth safety. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...