Bandit's Projected 53

On 8/29/2019 at 10:33 AM, Bills2ref said:

Side note, but you would think by now a center would have came along who can long snap and regular snap. Would be nice if teams did not have to use a roster spot on that position. 

They never did in the 80's and maybe 90's. I not sure why it had to change.

1 hour ago, Cash said:

Not an expert, but I actually think teams wouldn't really want that.  Two reasons:

1.) Starting C is a high injury risk, so you have to pay serious attention to your backups.  Starting LS is not, and most teams don't have much in the way of a backup LS.  Having one guy fill both roles means that you now need a decent backup LS, which kind of defeats the purpose of combining the roles.

2.) Punters are always FG holders now because it lets the FG battery of LS/K/holder practice on their own, and none of those 3 are needed for most regular drills/practices.  So if you make the LS and C the same guy, he has to split his time between practicing with the offense and with the kicker/punter.  And you'll probably still need to practice kicks & punts while the offense is practicing, so you need your backup LS to fill in there.  And again, if the backup is spending all the practice time with the K, why bother swapping in your starting C during the games?  Seems counterproductive.

Good post, but I wonder how much harder it is to snap a football 15 yards back to a punter. And snapping a football back to a holder for a FG can't really be much harder than snapping a football to a QB in the shot gun.

Edited by from_dunkirk

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There are some tough cuts. We need to keep Duke. Do we really need four RB? Everyone seems to think we will keep four, and we probably will, and sure, Gore and MCoy are old, but Singletary is not. Two of them would have to get injured in one game for it to be any  real risk. We also may be able to get away with three safeties if Neal is one of six cornerbacks. He could also be the fourth safety. 

Problem with that is since the shorts came off and the pads went on Siran Neal has been disappointing. He is touch and go for the roster for me and if the UB kid hadn't got hurt I'd be cutting him. 

53 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Good post, but I wonder how much harder it is to snap a football 15 yards back to a punter. And snapping a football back to a holder for a FG can't really be much harder than snapping a football to a QB in the shot gun.

FWIW, some dude named Marv Levy once opined that the long snapper skill was the hardest to coach....and a muffed long snap can truly change the course of a game

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Has he actually been released yet? Where are you seeing this?

Someone said it in a different thread; looks like it's not officially official yet.

Still time for Beane to ship a 6th as I predicted