Bandit's Projected 53

I really think that the Bills keep 7 WRs with Duke also making it. Jaquan Johnson makes it for me as well. I think only 2 of Boettger/Long/Bates make the team. I will go with Long & Bates. There’s no way that I would keep 4 TEs plus a FB but suspect that the Bills will. There’s where I’d find the other roster spot but my guess is that it is one of Pitts/Neal/Marlowe that has Johnson’s spot. 

So I guess from your list:

out: Boettger

out: Marlowe (last cut) 

in: Williams

in: Johnson

If Kroft isn’t ready I think Marlowe makes it and Smith is released when Kroft comes back. 

• Like (+1) 5

I love the Murphy call.  I’d keep him over Yeldon too.  

I really like what I’ve seen from Jaquan Johnson.  Marlowe might make it because he can help the team more this season if they think they can sneak johnson onto the PS. 

Ditto to the above remark when talking about Lacey vs Joseph.  Lacey can help up this year.  I doubt Jospeh can help in 2019.

7 WRs-  yes please.  You got the right 7.

Munnerlyn vs Pitts.  I haven’t really watched munnerlyn since he’s been a Bill.  How has he played?  Strictly playing inside?

19 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I figured I'd take a shot at predicting the final 53 prior to the last preseason game.

I'll come back and make an update after tonight's game, but for now, here's my take...

QB (2) - J. Allen, M. Barkley

RB (4) - L. McCoy, F. Gore, D. Singletary, M. Murphy

FB (1) - P. DiMarco

TE (3) - D. Knox, T. Sweeney, L. Smith

WR (7) - J. Brown, C. Beasley, Z. Jones, R. Foster, A. Roberts, I. McKenzie, D. Williams

OL (9) - D. Dawkins, Q. Spain, M. Morse, C. Ford, T. Nsekhe, J. Feliciano, R. Bates, S. Long, W. Teller

ST (3) - R. Ferguson, S. Hauschka, B. Colquitt (projected trade with Cleveland)

DE (4) - J. Hughes, T. Murphy, S. Lawson, D. Johnson

DT (4) - S. Lotuleilei, E. Oliver, J. Phillips, H. Phillips

LB (6) - M. Milano, T. Edmunds, L. Alexander, C. Thompson, J. Stanford, D. Lacey

CB (6) - T. White, L. Wallace, T. Johnson, K. Johnson, S. Neal, L. Pitts

S (4) - M. Hyde, J. Poyer, K. Coleman, D. Marlowe

PUP - T. Kroft

PS - T. Jackson, C. Wade, R. McCloud, I. Boettger, J. Jones, V. Joseph, D. Rice, J. Johnson

I don't think Joseph or Johnson clears waivers. Cut Marlowe, insert Johnson. Lacey out, Yeldon gets his spot. Cut/trade Pitts, insert Joseph. I'm still lost on Dimarco, why???

Edited by the skycap

11 hours ago, ColeB said:

If you watch the sidelines when attending a game, depending on where the Bills have the ball, the ST long snapper keeps warm snapping to the punter for a punt or hold.  I guess a backup center could be doing this but having a LS allows that player to have muscle memory on the snap.  Otherwise, with a regular center, you could have those shotgun snaps that go over the QBs head.

like 90% of the time its fourth down too.  Really little margin for error - a bad snap on a punt or field goal is like a pick 6. 

19 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I don't think Joseph or Johnson clears waivers. Cut Marlowe, insert Johnson. Lacey out, Yeldon gets his spot. Cut/trade Pitts, insert Joseph. I'm still lost on Dimarco, why???

Special teams captain i think.  Locker room leadership is important.. more important than the 4th string running back.

5 minutes ago, dneveu said:

like 90% of the time its fourth down too.  Really little margin for error - a bad snap on a punt or field goal is like a pick 6. 

Special teams captain i think.  Locker room leadership is important.. more important than the 4th string running back.

Frank Gore, Lorax, Captain. Not to mention Hyde, Poyer, etc.. How many locker room leaders do you need?? 

20 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Side note, but you would think by now a center would have came along who can long snap and regular snap. Would be nice if teams did not have to use a roster spot on that position. 

Maybe having to tackle on the punt team is the concern? Most centers wouldn't be the best to track one of the fastest players on the field down. Also, don't want your center getting injured.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Why I think DiMarco makes it:

Albert Breer’s Gameplan

For whatever reason I can’t post the text, but basically Shanahan says that having a  versatile fullback forces the defense into advantageous personnel groupings for the offense.  I’m pretty sure Daboll feels the same way.  So while fans here keep focusing on what DiMarco can and cannot do as a player, the better analysis is what having DiMarco on the field does to create formations and matchups Daboll hopes to exploit.

This. This. And all of this. 

Also:

Jaquan Johnson is making the team. Agree very much that Joseph probably doesn't. I think Dodson might even beat him to the PS too. 

My biggest disappointment is it looks like they are going to keep Yeldon. Yuck. 

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Munnerlyn vs Pitts.  I haven’t really watched munnerlyn since he’s been a Bill.  How has he played?  Strictly playing inside?

Mainly poorly. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This. This. And all of this. 

Also:

Jaquan Johnson is making the team. Agree very much that Joseph probably doesn't. I think Dodson might even beat him to the PS too. 

My biggest disappointment is it looks like they are going to keep Yeldon. Yuck. 

Mainly poorly. 

Copy that.  Thanks GB.  

43 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Frank Gore, Lorax, Captain. Not to mention Hyde, Poyer, etc.. How many locker room leaders do you need?? 

I dunno. More?

Teams feature a fullback a little bit of the time. But removing him puts a much worse player in that position.  He was active every game. Whereas Murphy/yeldon will not be.

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I dunno. More?

Teams feature a fullback a little bit of the time. But removing him puts a much worse player in that position.  He was active every game. Whereas Murphy/yeldon will not be.

I don't know about that. Is Lee Smith any worse than DiMarco? How about Jason Croom? These guys can line up as H-backs and probably provide more offensive production than DiMarco did. My short yardage guy would be Gore anyways. I just grow weary of McDermott and his "guys" that don't produce much a la Preseason Peterman

21 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Side note, but you would think by now a center would have came along who can long snap and regular snap. Would be nice if teams did not have to use a roster spot on that position. 

One reason teams will continue to do it is because of practice reps. Same reason the punter is usually the holder. That exchange needs to be perfect every single time because if its not a snap is high or low, it can be a disastrous play. With margins being so slim between winning and losing, most coaches are going to want that to be perfect

• Like (+1) 2

I think 9 OLinemen is unlikely...especially with the position flexibility they have in their top 7-8.  Will probably carry an extra WR, LB or secondary player instead, IMO. 

Outside of that, and maybe who the bubble guys are a RB, S and CB...I agree with your prediction.

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 1

There are some tough cuts. We need to keep Duke. Do we really need four RB? Everyone seems to think we will keep four, and we probably will, and sure, Gore and MCoy are old, but Singletary is not. Two of them would have to get injured in one game for it to be any  real risk. We also may be able to get away with three safeties if Neal is one of six cornerbacks. He could also be the fourth safety. 

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Update after last night's game:

RB (4) - L. McCoy, F. Gore, D. Singletary, T. Yeldon

FB (1) - P. DiMarco

TE (4) - D. Knox, T. Sweeney, L. Smith, T. Kroft

WR (6) - J. Brown, C. Beasley, Z. Jones(trade for picks), R. Foster, A. Roberts, I. McKenzie, D. Williams

OL (9) - D. Dawkins, Q. Spain, M. Morse, C. Ford, T. Nsekhe, J. Feliciano, R. Bates, S. Long, I. Boettger

LB (6) - M. Milano, T. Edmunds, L. Alexander, C. Thompson, J. Stanford, D. Lacey

PS - T. Jackson, C. Wade, D. Johnson, J. Jones, V. Joseph, D. Rice, J. Johnson

Changes:

Yeldon makes it over Murphy - when he didn't even play last night and Murphy is still in the game returning punts in the 4th, that tells you something

Kroft from PUP to active roster based upon Beane's comments

Cut Duke Williams - Final roster spot on offense will come down to a 7th WR or a 9th OLman; I went with the OLman

I. Boettger from PS to active roster after Teller trade

Sticking with Marlowe over J. Johnson; Johnson is active in run support, but just doesn't look good in coverage. He needs a year of seasoning on the PS.

•  

Good job, pretty darn close to what I think too. A couple little tweaks for me.

Still think Zay gets traded and Duke makes it after listening to Beane.

23 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Not an expert, but I actually think teams wouldn't really want that.  Two reasons:

1.) Starting C is a high injury risk, so you have to pay serious attention to your backups.  Starting LS is not, and most teams don't have much in the way of a backup LS.  Having one guy fill both roles means that you now need a decent backup LS, which kind of defeats the purpose of combining the roles.

2.) Punters are always FG holders now because it lets the FG battery of LS/K/holder practice on their own, and none of those 3 are needed for most regular drills/practices.  So if you make the LS and C the same guy, he has to split his time between practicing with the offense and with the kicker/punter.  And you'll probably still need to practice kicks & punts while the offense is practicing, so you need your backup LS to fill in there.  And again, if the backup is spending all the practice time with the K, why bother swapping in your starting C during the games?  Seems counterproductive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Update after last night's game:

RB (4) - L. McCoy, F. Gore, D. Singletary, T. Yeldon

FB (1) - P. DiMarco

TE (4) - D. Knox, T. Sweeney, L. Smith, T. Kroft

WR (6) - J. Brown, C. Beasley, Z. Jones, R. Foster, A. Roberts, I. McKenzie

OL (9) - D. Dawkins, Q. Spain, M. Morse, C. Ford, T. Nsekhe, J. Feliciano, R. Bates, S. Long, I. Boettger

PS - T. Jackson, C. Wade, D. Johnson, J. Jones, V. Joseph, D. Rice, J. Johnson

Changes:

Yeldon makes it over Murphy - when he didn't even play last night and Murphy is still in the game returning punts in the 4th, that tells you something

Kroft from PUP to active roster based upon Beane's comments

Cut Duke Williams - Final roster spot on offense will come down to a 7th WR or a 9th OLman; I went with the OLman

I. Boettger from PS to active roster after Teller trade

Sticking with Marlowe over J. Johnson; Johnson is active in run support, but just doesn't look good in coverage. He needs a year of seasoning on the PS.

•  

Looks plausible. 

Few nits and Q:

1) you have D Johnson on the roster as a DE and the PS - so who else you want on the practice squad? 

2) It's been said (not sure by who) the Bills hope to put Easley on the PS.  What about Williams and Rayray (both eligible)?

3) Who do we trade to Cleveland for Colquitt?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Looks plausible. 

Few nits and Q:

1) you have D Johnson on the roster as a DE and the PS - so who else you want on the practice squad? 

2) It's been said (not sure by who) the Bills hope to put Easley on the PS.  What about Williams and Rayray (both eligible)?

3) Who do we trade to Cleveland for Colquitt?

1) One is Darryl (DE) and one is Duke (WR)

2) I think they keep only 1 or 2 WR on the PS, so yeah, I could see 2 of Duke/RayRay/Easley

3) I'm thinking it'll be a 6th

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

1) One is Darryl (DE) and one is Duke (WR)

2) I think they keep only 1 or 2 WR on the PS, so yeah, I could see 2 of Duke/RayRay/Easley

3) I'm thinking it'll be a 6th

Um, who do the Bills have at WR named Duke Johnson?  Far as I know, the Bills only have one D. Johnson.  Did you mean Duke Williams on the PS?

Like I said, small stuff overall good take.