Bills Security Blanket at Back Up QB Position !!

T master

1 hour ago, bills_believer said:

It wouldn't make sense for the Bills or the Colts. A backup QB is pretty valuable, so the Bills would have to go out and get one after trading Barkley. Barkley seems like a nice fit for the Bills. 

From the Colts perspective, Barkley doing well in the preseason is hardly a predictor of franchise QB type success. There will be some interesting names out there after the cuts, if they want to take a chance on someone. They probably would be best off struggling through this season and drafting someone next year. 

Barkley was a highly coveted young QB prospect at one point in time.

Luck is impossible to replace, but I could see the Colts fan base getting behind a guy like Matt Barkley.

Don't get me wrong, keeping Barkley long term sets well with me.

Beane on the other hand has shown If he can get good trade value on a player that he can replace via FA.

Anythings possible... 

Backup QB is an unused luxury... until it isn't.

Without Nick Foles, the Eagles don't win the Super Bowl - and are instead complaining how an injury to Carson Wentz destroyed their season.

There are MANY instances where a good backup can win 1-2 games during an untimely injury, keeping a team in a playoff race.

How many times did Frank Reich come through for us during the Super Bowl years?

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What do you think teams are going to give for a qb with a 67 career qb rating who was sitting in the couch 7 weeks into last season?  Barkley has no trade value unless a stupid team actually puts stock into preseason games.

One of the best days the Bills O had last season from a passing perspective was with Matt Barkley behind center.

Regular season...

I think we can both agree 12 career game starts does not a QB make.

Edited by Figster

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Definitely not trading Barkley. I think he is more of an asset to this team than just your average backup QB. 

But think of how fun and exciting it would be to be one bad play away from making Tyree Jackson your starting QB!   

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Jackson > Peterman

I'm just saying...

Think we could squeeze a first or a second out of Gruden for him? Might be worth a shot, and their second rounder just might be #33! 

4 hours ago, T master said:

I think the Bills are set at the back up QB position & i wouldn't be afraid to have Barkley at the helm if heaven forbid something should happen to Josh that he had to be out part or all of a season due to injury which is a really good thing for the Bills because there hasn't been this good of a back up QB on the roster in quite a while .

There are teams that are in as good of situation as the Bills are when it comes to this position on their teams but then there are others that are not such as the Colts now. I was wondering what Bills mafia would think if Frank comes knocking on Beanes door & wants to give up a draft pick to get Barkley because he has been playing so well .

Would you have Beane pull the trigger on something like that ? And if so what would they have to give in return to get him ? 

I have read articles that the Colts are looking around for other QB's & i'm not sure if that is because Frank isn't completely settled on Brisset as his Mr. Right now or if he isn't comfortable with what he has as his back up Chad Kelly due to his immaturity  seeing as he has been suspended 2 games again this season & given his past !

Either way if he was to go fishing around Buffalo due to his relationship with the franchise would you all be willing to give up that security blanket of having Barkley & if not how much would it cost them to pry him away from the team ? 

No.  I'm with the Eagles, that one of the most valuable positions on the roster is the backup QB.

It's not just Barkley's value as a backup QB that's the issue, it's his value as a mentor and a steadying influence for Allen.

I'd tell Reich to look elsewhere.

29 minutes ago, Figster said:

Barkley was a highly coveted young QB prospect at one point in time.

Luck is impossible to replace, but I could see the Colts fan base getting behind a guy like Matt Barkley.

Don't get me wrong, keeping Barkley long term sets well with me.

Beane on the other hand has shown If he can get good trade value on a player that he can replace via FA.

Anythings possible... 

OK just curious...what QB do you really think Beane could replace Barkley with via FA, at this point in time?  Even if it's someone as good (and I would appreciate names), they won't know our system, terminology etc.

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No.  I'm with the Eagles, that one of the most valuable positions on the roster is the backup QB.

It's not just Barkley's value as a backup QB that's the issue, it's his value as a mentor and a steadying influence for Allen.

I'd tell Reich to look elsewhere.

OK just curious...what QB do you really think Beane could replace Barkley with via FA, at this point in time?  Even if it's someone as good (and I would appreciate names), they won't know our system, terminology etc.

Anderson or McCarron come to mind.

Moore was just picked up recently and is a 500 QB. (example)

My point is ideally Barkley will never play in a regular season game. A healthy Josh Allen allows Buffalo the time to get a FA up to speed in the Daboll O IMO.  If the trade value for Barkley becomes high enough I would expect Beane to pull the trigger in my humble opinion

Edited by Figster

41 minutes ago, Figster said:

One of the best days the Bills O had last season from a passing perspective was with Matt Barkley behind center.

Regular season...

I think we can both agree 12 career game starts does not a QB make.

There’s a reason he has had 12 starts and was out of the league last year.  Super nice guy and I’m fine with him as our backup.  But he is the definition of replacement level.  Honestly, I actually won be fine with Osweiler as our backup instead of Barkley, but it would be bad timing to make that move now.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

There’s a reason he has had 12 starts and was out of the league last year.  Super nice guy and I’m fine with him as our backup.  But he is the definition of replacement level.  Honestly, I actually won be fine with Osweiler as our backup instead of Barkley, but it would be bad timing to make that move now.

12 starts spread out over 4 seasons which is no way to develop properly IMO.

Matt Barkley just needs experience in my humble opinion Biscuit.

Myself personally, One season under your belt (game experience) is when a young QB prospect will start seeing the game slow down.

Which would be right about now for both Barkley and Allen IMO.

5 hours ago, T master said:

I think the Bills are set at the back up QB position & i wouldn't be afraid to have Barkley at the helm if heaven forbid something should happen to Josh that he had to be out part or all of a season due to injury which is a really good thing for the Bills because there hasn't been this good of a back up QB on the roster in quite a while .

There are teams that are in as good of situation as the Bills are when it comes to this position on their teams but then there are others that are not such as the Colts now. I was wondering what Bills mafia would think if Frank comes knocking on Beanes door & wants to give up a draft pick to get Barkley because he has been playing so well .

Would you have Beane pull the trigger on something like that ? And if so what would they have to give in return to get him ? 

I have read articles that the Colts are looking around for other QB's & i'm not sure if that is because Frank isn't completely settled on Brisset as his Mr. Right now or if he isn't comfortable with what he has as his back up Chad Kelly due to his immaturity  seeing as he has been suspended 2 games again this season & given his past !

Either way if he was to go fishing around Buffalo due to his relationship with the franchise would you all be willing to give up that security blanket of having Barkley & if not how much would it cost them to pry him away from the team ? 

Our QB situation is good....lets keep it

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Backup QB is an unused luxury... until it isn't.

Without Nick Foles, the Eagles don't win the Super Bowl - and are instead complaining how an injury to Carson Wentz destroyed their season.

There are MANY instances where a good backup can win 1-2 games during an untimely injury, keeping a team in a playoff race.

How many times did Frank Reich come through for us during the Super Bowl years?

enough to get us to the superbowl. great point! houston game...pitt game...i'm sure there's at least another.

38 minutes ago, Figster said:

12 starts spread out over 4 seasons which is no way to develop properly IMO.

Matt Barkley just needs experience in my humble opinion Biscuit.

Myself personally, One season under your belt (game experience) is when a young QB prospect will start seeing the game slow down.

Which would be right about now for both Barkley and Allen IMO.

He's a backup QB at this point.  Not high end, but not bottom of the barrel.  He doesn't have a plus arm, or plus athleticism, nor is he pinpoint accurate. 

He does have the advantage of having bounced around a ton of different systems (Philly, Zona twice, Chicago, SF, cincy, and now buffalo).  It's not good necessarily for his absorption of offenses at the time, but at this point he almost has to be flexible because he's been around the block. 

He's seen a lot of different defensive systems in practice, and practiced a lot of different systems at QB.  He just hasn't played a ton of games, and when he has he hasn't looked good.  

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Anderson or McCarron come to mind.

Moore was just picked up recently and is a 500 QB. (example)

My point is ideally Barkley will never play in a regular season game. A healthy Josh Allen allows Buffalo the time to get a FA up to speed in the Daboll O IMO.  If the trade value for Barkley becomes high enough I would expect Beane to pull the trigger in my humble opinion

You don't want your vet mentor to need to 'come up to speed', you want him ready each game to be full-speed helpful and full-go ready to your starter because any backup is always 1 hit away from taking the snaps.  You could be right, but if so it would be an admission that the Bills, once more, don't believe they are seriously ready to contend.  In McDermott's 3rd season as HC, that would raise the legit question "just when does accountability start here?"

Anderson retired.  That ship has sailed.  McCarron is under contract to the Texans, so not a FA per your contention the Bills could sign someone as good as Barkley through FA.  That's leaving aside the point that the Bills liked McCarron so little that they played him in last year's 4th preseason game before trading him away, leaving them no option but to throw Allen to the wolves when Peterman (predictably IMHO) flamed out in a real game. 

That was mismanagement of the QB position so egregious that I wouldn't put it past Beane to do something similar this season, but it would be dumb (again IMHO).

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think there is a chance that Barkley is good.  Like good enough to give Allen a run for his money if the progress everyone expects isn't there.

No way would I trade him.

The Chicago Bears did that experiment in 2016, when Barkley started the last 6 games of the season for them. 

The answer was "No". 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You don't want your vet mentor to need to 'come up to speed', you want him ready each game to be full-speed helpful and full-go ready to your starter because any backup is always 1 hit away from taking the snaps.  You could be right, but if so it would be an admission that the Bills, once more, don't believe they are seriously ready to contend.  In McDermott's 3rd season as HC, that would raise the legit question "just when does accountability start here?"

Anderson retired.  That ship has sailed.  McCarron is under contract to the Texans, so not a FA per your contention the Bills could sign someone as good as Barkley through FA.  That's leaving aside the point that the Bills liked McCarron so little that they played him in last year's 4th preseason game before trading him away, leaving them no option but to throw Allen to the wolves when Peterman (predictably IMHO) flamed out in a real game. 

That was mismanagement of the QB position so egregious that I wouldn't put it past Beane to do something similar this season, but it would be dumb (again IMHO).

Thanks for the reply/ update on McCarron and Anderson. 

Myself personally, I think mismanagement of the Oline started the whole mess.

The bright side is Allen is a season ahead of schedule.  (from where I thought he would be anyway)

I like your reasoning...

Just now, Figster said:

Thanks for the reply/ update on McCarron and Anderson. 

Myself personally, I think mismanagement of the Oline started the whole mess.

The bright side is Allen is a season ahead of schedule.  (from where I thought he would be anyway)

I like your reasoning...

Oh, well, I can hardly disagree with you there.  I'm well-known to have been fairly irate that the Bills didn't do more to address the OL last year with a precious drafted rookee

• Thank you (+1) 1