McBeane and draft timing

Dkollidas

I understand that Beane was not here for the first draft. That being said, I assume since he was hired only weeks later and McDermott basically ran the draft, that they at least spoke on a basic level of which players they liked. I could also see them not having had the time (Beane being in Carolina, who had Newton), and McDermott only just being hired a couple months earlier, to really trust themselves selecting a QB in 2017.

Therefore, McDermott did the prudent thing, moved down, got more picks, took a solid player at a position that was viewed strongly (Lattimore and Jamal Adams also taken along with Tre White that year), and stockpiled for what was expected to be a very talented 2018 QB class.

When the 2018 draft comes along, after an off-season if clearing out old players and bringing in new, two of the clearest positional needs for Buffalo are QB, and LB. Again, this draft was very strong at those two positions and they were able to get good prospects early to fill key positions.

This off-season Beane and McDermott (strategically, in my opinion) went through the off-season, got depth at DB, addressed glaring weaknesses at OL and WR, and filled depth at RB. 

The one glaring hole was at DT with the retirement of Kyle Williams. Not coincidentally... this year’s draft was regarded as one of the strongest defensive line (specifically on the interior) drafts to have come along in years.

Looking to next season and our needs, I could see our main needs being a defensive end (Murphy is an injury question, Hughes is old, Shaq could be gone and Darryl Johnson is nice, but he’s a project) and Wide Receiver.

Funny thing is, if you look around at where next year’s draft is strongest... Wide Receiver and Edge rusher. 

I don’t think this is all a coincidence. I think Beane is trying to line up his needs with what the draft is strong in. If he knows has a top-15 Pick, and he has a clear need at say, receiver, and there’s 6-7 projected first round receivers, he can likely go after other needs in free agency, and use picks to move up if necessary to grab one of those guys that he likes. 

I honestly think that this is a real strategy, and I think it’s turning out to be a great strategy.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

If he knows has a top-15 Pick

I appreciate the thought you put into your post, but if he as a top 15 pick, it sort of nullifies the rest of the narrative. At what point does he want to win? Just sayin.

• Like (+1) 2

I suspect any good GM is looking at the draft two and three years out or more for planing purposes. On top of constantly surveying what’s going on throughout the league.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 4

Chiefs:  Hey, it's Andy Reid.  I want to give up a 1st rounder to trade up for a project QB despite a strong class next year and having a current QB who just made the pro bowl.

Bills:  Sounds great.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

21 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I understand that Beane was not here for the first draft. That being said, I assume since he was hired only weeks later and McDermott basically ran the draft, that they at least spoke on a basic level of which players they liked. I could also see them not having had the time (Beane being in Carolina, who had Newton), and McDermott only just being hired a couple months earlier, to really trust themselves selecting a QB in 2017.

Therefore, McDermott did the prudent thing, moved down, got more picks, took a solid player at a position that was viewed strongly (Lattimore and Jamal Adams also taken along with Tre White that year), and stockpiled for what was expected to be a very talented 2018 QB class.

When the 2018 draft comes along, after an off-season if clearing out old players and bringing in new, two of the clearest positional needs for Buffalo are QB, and LB. Again, this draft was very strong at those two positions and they were able to get good prospects early to fill key positions.

This off-season Beane and McDermott (strategically, in my opinion) went through the off-season, got depth at DB, addressed glaring weaknesses at OL and WR, and filled depth at RB. 

The one glaring hole was at DT with the retirement of Kyle Williams. Not coincidentally... this year’s draft was regarded as one of the strongest defensive line (specifically on the interior) drafts to have come along in years.

Looking to next season and our needs, I could see our main needs being a defensive end (Murphy is an injury question, Hughes is old, Shaq could be gone and Darryl Johnson is nice, but he’s a project) and Wide Receiver.

Funny thing is, if you look around at where next year’s draft is strongest... Wide Receiver and Edge rusher. 

I don’t think this is all a coincidence. I think Beane is trying to line up his needs with what the draft is strong in. If he knows has a top-15 Pick, and he has a clear need at say, receiver, and there’s 6-7 projected first round receivers, he can likely go after other needs in free agency, and use picks to move up if necessary to grab one of those guys that he likes. 

I honestly think that this is a real strategy, and I think it’s turning out to be a great strategy.

I have been saying this for a while.....

It looks to me like Beane puts emphasis in his top picks in areas that are supposed to be "strengths" of that particular draft

Josh Allen - In a supposid QB draft

Olvier - in a supposid DL draft

Next year is supposed to be a "receiver" draft

It should be noted however....that Beane is not just doing well with his first picks...he HAS KILLED the last two drafts going all the way into the 7th rounds

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Common picks for the Bills among the early mock drafts are Chase Young and A. J. Epenesa - highly regarded defensive ends, and Jerry Jeudy and Laviska Shenault WRs.  Unfortunately, those early mocks mostly have Buffalo picking in the top 5 to  top 12 in the draft.  If the plans of the Bills and hopes of the fans pan out, the Bills will be picking a lot later than that.  

If the Bills pick a bit later in the first round, Yetur Gross-Mattos is a nice looking edge rusher out of Penn State, Tee Higgins is a tall receiver with some speed out of Clemson.  Still later, the Bills could get Terrell Lewis, edge rusher from Alabama or CeeDee Lamb, a receiver from Oklahoma.  Other first round edge rushers might be Kenny Willekes or Anfernee Jennings.  There is also an additional handful of receivers who could go late in the first.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

Agreed that McDermott didn't trust himself (or Whaley) to pick a QB and did the prudent thing to wait and bring in draft capital for the next year.

Disagree that picking Tre had anything to do with how strong or weak the CB class was that year. I think they had him as their highest-ranked player when they picked and that's all there was to it. If Tre had been picked earlier, I think they'd have gone highest ranked regardless of position. Same with picking up Edmunds from a good LB class ... I don't think they were concerned about the class, they were just surprised to find Edmunds still available at that point.

I just feel you're overthinking this. I think it's more about picking the best guy left when they pick. And yeah, need and positional value count as to how high you want to rate a guy on your board. It affects things a bit. Overall, though, (except for Josh Allen ... they obviously needed and were absolutely determined to get in on that QB class) it fits just as easily with the more obvious strategy that they've acknowledged of picking the best player.

Don't get me wrong, I love Beane. I think he's really smart. But I do think the trend you're noticing is mostly coincidence. Guess we'll find out when he writes his autobiography.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

They worked together in Carolina for years and likely already knew they had the same view of players.  They may have even already talked about working together in the roles they are in now. 

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Agreed that McDermott didn't trust himself (or Whaley) to pick a QB and did the prudent thing to wait and bring in draft capital for the next year.

Not picking Mahomes *could* go down as one of the biggest draft blunders for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I suspect any good GM is looking at the draft two and three years out or more for planing purposes. On top of constantly surveying what’s going on throughout the league.

Go Bills!!!

GMs have much more important things to do than worry college players who are two or three years from being eligible for the NFL draft.  Too many first or second year collegiate players -- like so many NFL rookies -- who look great early on and then flame out.  

Drafting is good, and I hope they continue to do an excellent job as they have up until now, but I think we may be a bit active in the FA market for DE in 2020. I know they will do an extensive scouting of the position. Guys like Clowney, Yannick Ngakoue, Emmanuel Ogbah, and Dante Fowler could all be out there. I'd LOVE to land Ngakoue for this defense if at all possible. 

1 hour ago, Element115 said:

Not picking Mahomes *could* go down as one of the biggest draft blunders for the Bills.

No, it really won’t. Only those who revel in 20/20 hindsight misery will even consider a 12th pick traded that lands an outstanding cornerback. Give it a rest, sunshine. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, SoTier said:

GMs have much more important things to do than worry college players who are two or three years from being eligible for the NFL draft.  Too many first or second year collegiate players -- like so many NFL rookies -- who look great early on and then flame out.  

I believe that good GMs keep an eye on this more than you think, again for planning purposes, a GM would be delinquent in his duties if it was not tracked appropriately, again, on top of constant surveillance of league player opportunities,

GMs do have staffs to track these things, and keep them informed throughout each  year. They do indeed keep track of the 5 star recruits, and to which colleges they are attending. It’s part and parcel of what they do.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1