NFL Live on ESPN disses Bills D

Tatonka68

There is a reason why the bills defense is not considered top ten. And as a precursor. I am a die hard bills fan and bleed buffalo. However, i am extremely worried about the defense. Reasons why:

-last year offense was putrid 

-time of possession 

-opposing coaches offensive game plans (recent Matt lefleur arrticle)

-No real threats (this year at least one - tremaine edmunds)

And here’s why in depth: opposing teams knew the bills offense was awful, they knew they would win the game as long as they didn’t give it away via turnovers and defensive errors. They played it cautious after the bills were blown out by the ravens and chargers. The defense never really faced a true offense. The bills end of season stats are way overrated. Obviously when you are terrible a team very rarely will pass against you. Aka why the bills pass defense was so highly ranked. Offenses didn’t have to put up yards due to field position and turnovers. The bills were 22-25th ranked points per game. That’s the real telling stat. 

My concern and realization. I do think the bills defense is good. Maybe 15th. But with an at least average offense this year (god willing) that means teams will actually open up the playbook.  Look what happened last week. The lions shredded us. 

The bills will only win if the offense scores. Defense gets takeaways and somehow our special teams is good. 

Why has no one brought up our overrated stats based on our bad offense last year?

Edited by Orlando Nick

27 minutes ago, T master said:

Good i'm glad it's just more fuel for the fire !! B/lo is always disrespected & i would rather have them fly under the radar it works more to our favor !! 

What, you think teams won't prepare for us the week they play us?

9 minutes ago, McBean said:

We’ve sucked for years.

Them and the media can say whatever the heck they want to say about the Buffalo Bills.

Show me the baby

I pretty much agree with that as long as they are not making ***** up

The team has sucked for years....fact

The DEFENSE has not.....under Mcd we have been pretty good

I find it interesting that when talking about the Patriots...nothing they do is every wrong or outdated

When WE were dominant running the ball......we sucked now that the pats have worked their way around to playing great defense and are running the ball...they are great

34 minutes ago, klos63 said:

What, you think teams won't prepare for us the week they play us?

Thats not what i said in the past it just always seems to work out better for the Bills if they fly under the radar, every team the Bills play will prepare like all the other teams by looking at the tape from previous games played . 

Every time the media jumps on the Bills band wagon the expectations seem to be higher which may have an effect on the players the same way that when some one counts you as not as good it becomes motivation to prove that you are better than they think that's all i was saying ...

If you don’t look at stats and actually watch defense from last year, yeah the Pats have a better D. If Milano, Edmunds, White all continue to develop and Ed Oliver is able to make an immediate impact, there might be a discussion. I hate the Patriots but i really hate when people get butthurt over absolutely nothing 

Their linebackers are definitely more proven and experienced. It's not a stretch to say their linebackers are better than ours. I'd say they have a pretty darn good defense overall.

Plus they win a lot. So why wouldn't people think the Pats have a better defense?

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

For me, it’s always PPG.  Object of the game is to score more points than your opponent, so only points matter to me.

For me turnovers are a distant 2nd. Turnovers can really change the outcome of a game. So if you have a defense that ranks well in PPG and forces a lot of turnovers, that's legit.

3rd stat maybe red zone TD's allowed? Holding teams to field goals in the red zone is huge. But that would reflect in points per game, I suppose.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

NFL live on ESPN just said that the New England Patriots are the best and most complete defense in the AFC East. What a joke. They even said they have the best line-backing core. Did you here that Edmunds,  Lo  and Milano ?  I am so tired of this, the Bills need to shut up these jerks up and SHUT OUT the Patriots in week 4. I am calling it. 31-0 whoop-ass on the CHEATS.

Just so they can beat us later by the same score, no doubt.

6 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

NFL live on ESPN just said that the New England Patriots are the best and most complete defense in the AFC East. What a joke. They even said they have the best line-backing core. Did you here that Edmunds,  Lo  and Milano ?  I am so tired of this, the Bills need to shut up these jerks up and SHUT OUT the Patriots in week 4. I am calling it. 31-0 whoop-ass on the CHEATS.

The LB is our defenses biggest weakness. And that’s not saying much because our pass rush is horrendous as well. Lorax is almost as old as Brady, Milano is at best a ham and egg’r, Edmonds is still completely unknown. 

If you want to speak reasonably, the Bills defense wasn’t even close to as touted as everyone made them out to be last year. 

They were 2nd in yards against sure, but...

-16th against the run

-18th points against

-18th points scored

-14th tied with 3 teams for sacks

The fact is, teams weren’t worried about passing on us and risking turnovers. They ran it down our throats when they meant it and there was nothing we could do to stop it. Especially in the red zone where we were 30th in the league where we gave up more than 70% of chances against us. 

The only way to shut them up is on the field.  The defense also needs to be consistent, as in every single week.  We wont get noticed because we arent in a big city so our team has to make people take notice.  We had games last year that we got whooped in and in order to gain recognition or to truly be a great D that can't happen.  

We were rated #2 but we weren't the second best D in the NFL last season.  I believe that changes this season.

1. Our MLB is not a Rookie anymore and I believe he is showing that.

2. Our depth is improved all over the D.

3. Most importantly our offense will stay on the field more.

All this will improve our consistency.  This season I believe we will become a legit top 5 D.

The media will probably rate us as a top 10.?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

The LB is our defenses biggest weakness. And that’s not saying much because our pass rush is horrendous as well. Lorax is almost as old as Brady, Milano is at best a ham and egg’r, Edmonds is still completely unknown. 

If you want to speak reasonably, the Bills defense wasn’t even close to as touted as everyone made them out to be last year. 

They were 2nd in yards against sure, but...

-16th against the run

-18th points against

-18th points scored

-14th tied with 3 teams for sacks

The fact is, teams weren’t worried about passing on us and risking turnovers. They ran it down our throats when they meant it and there was nothing we could do to stop it. Especially in the red zone where we were 30th in the league where we gave up more than 70% of chances against us. 

Those stats were blown up by a few games.  Just as our #2 rating was aided by our pass D.  Consistency was the issue.

Teams probably felt fortunate they could run on us because passing wasn't an option.  Some day you will actually watch something other than stats when you break things down.  

Age is not a factor in rating a players play on the field.  It could be something that affect their play.  Whether you're 25 and good or 45 and good makes no difference.  Something is wrong with your analysis when your only critique of a guy is that he's old.

What they accomplished with how inept the offense was is impressive.

Milano was playing at a probowl level before his injury.  One of the problems with our D was Milano wasnt out there.

11 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

Tatonka, I am sincerely not picking on you, but watching ESPN is a mistake.  They are not well informed and just use peripheral information and make silly assertions.  Again, just friendly advice and don’t watch ESPN.  You’ll just get annoyed when the Bills come up.