is Brown REALLY much better then Jones?

macaroni

5 minutes ago, macaroni said:

and that's a fine opinion, as a matter of fact that was MY opinion before I ran the numbers … I'm just wondering if it's still a valid opinion and why 

Here's the thing...let's wait and see what this year brings, he's got a new QB new system, IMO it's too early to make any judgement.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, macaroni said:

I can see your points but according to  https://www.pro-football-reference.com  last year Brown caught 43.2% of his targets, Jones caught 54.9% of his targets, soooo if you throw each one 100 times Brown equals 100 X 15 X 43.2% which is roughly equal to 648 yards, to Jones equals 100 X 11.7 X 54.9% is roughly 642.33 yards. I'm sorry I just don't see that much of a difference.

See...sorry, but so what. Two different players, teams and circumstances...thats what I look at. Try to enjoy the game!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, macaroni said:

I can see your points but according to  https://www.pro-football-reference.com  last year Brown caught 43.2% of his targets, Jones caught 54.9% of his targets, soooo if you throw each one 100 times Brown equals 100 X 15 X 43.2% which is roughly equal to 648 yards, to Jones equals 100 X 11.7 X 54.9% is roughly 642.33 yards. I'm sorry I just don't see that much of a difference.

% of targets caught is different from drops.  Being targeted by Bridgewater doesn't mean you can catch it.  

27 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LOL...love that nickname......but my boy "Frank the Tank" is a close 2nd......the ageless RB wonder......Zay has a place though IMO....

I love Gore and his dedication...he places an urgency on himself and his game. Jones just makes me nervous...I try not to, but I see red flags with him. It is not up to me, so all I can do is root for him if he is out there.

41 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

When healthy, Brown has proven to be a legitimate deep threat. They don't call him "Smoke" for nothing. He was on pace for a 1k season with Flacco

Brown said the nickname was given to him when he was a baby and had nothing to do with him being fast. 

1 hour ago, macaroni said:

I'm a typical Kool-Aid drinking Pollyanna Bills fan. When we got Brown & Beasley I figured 2/3rds of our receiving corps problems had been solved. I have gone through the preseason figuring Brown our #1, Beasley our slot, and we only have to figure out who that "complementary" WR is going to be, and the room seemed full of guys none of whom would be a bad choice to fill that bill. Today, for the first time, I took a look at Browns stats and nothing really jumped out at me shouting #1 receiver. I figured I'd look at Zay Jones stats to see how much of an upgrade Brown would be. Much to my surprise (if you take away Zay's rookie year where he played with shoulder problems) they pretty much look like the same guy.

I'm not as down on Zay as most of you. While I don't think he's much of a #1 receiver, I think he could play the role as that "complementary guy" just fine, problem is Brown seems to have had HIS problems with missed catches too … have I deluded myself into thinking that Brown is a clear cut #1, I'm NOT talking Jerry Rice, Megatron, OBJ #1, just a sure handed, reliable, you can count on him MOST of the time receiver?

I get it that Brown is faster than Zay, but I don't want faster … I want catches the ball better.

Talk me off the cliff people … convince me we don't have a Zay, and a fast Zay on our hands here.

You are going to get crucified for this. And there isn’t a ‘good’ reason 

• Like (+1) 1

Different receivers.  Brown is a homerun hitter that stretches the defense. He only competes with Foster for targets.

Zay is the guy that should catch 80 balls a year with 60+ for first downs with a mix of short, intermediate, and deep routes. He is limited in all three of those phases lacking elite speed, route running, size, and catch percentage. Therefore you need to find his niche. Beasely should be the guy now that get 100 targets this year on short and intermediate routes. That leaves Zay battling it out for a spot in three WR sets. He is s willing blocker but not great run after catch guy. Therefore he can lineup in bunch formations with someone like McKenzie but probably will not be the target.

Can he get 75 targets in a three WR set as the flanker or Z receiver??? Maybe. I could see him as a WR in run heavy formations that they then pass out of. Deep hitch and/or combo routes with a TE after play action. 

That said, Duke Williams can probably do all that out of the Z spot and is bigger, stronger, faster, and catches the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not an expert, but I'll try to give you a helpful response. My guess is that even if their production looks similar, Brown tends to be able to produce against better corners than Zay. My guess is that Zay is more likely to disappear against a teams #1 corner than Brown.

Notice this,  Brown does not do special teams, Zay does, Question answered right there.

Go Bills!!!

15 minutes ago, hemma said:

Duke is not faster than Zay.  He has more beef, but not more speed.

Duke does have good hands though and I hope he makes it through the weekend.

Duke would smoke Zay in the 40, since he'd be allowed a 10 yard running start.

Brown is better than Zay, but more of a threat to Foster's playing time.  I've been an "if John Brown could only stay healthy" guy since he entered the league.  Glad we got him.