is Brown REALLY much better then Jones?

macaroni

I'm a typical Kool-Aid drinking Pollyanna Bills fan. When we got Brown & Beasley I figured 2/3rds of our receiving corps problems had been solved. I have gone through the preseason figuring Brown our #1, Beasley our slot, and we only have to figure out who that "complementary" WR is going to be, and the room seemed full of guys none of whom would be a bad choice to fill that bill. Today, for the first time, I took a look at Browns stats and nothing really jumped out at me shouting #1 receiver. I figured I'd look at Zay Jones stats to see how much of an upgrade Brown would be. Much to my surprise (if you take away Zay's rookie year where he played with shoulder problems) they pretty much look like the same guy.

I'm not as down on Zay as most of you. While I don't think he's much of a #1 receiver, I think he could play the role as that "complementary guy" just fine, problem is Brown seems to have had HIS problems with missed catches too … have I deluded myself into thinking that Brown is a clear cut #1, I'm NOT talking Jerry Rice, Megatron, OBJ #1, just a sure handed, reliable, you can count on him MOST of the time receiver?

I get it that Brown is faster than Zay, but I don't want faster … I want catches the ball better.

Talk me off the cliff people … convince me we don't have a Zay, and a fast Zay on our hands here.

22 minutes ago, macaroni said:

I'm a typical Kool-Aid drinking Pollyanna Bills fan. When we got Brown & Beasley I figured 2/3rds of our receiving corps problems had been solved. I have gone through the preseason figuring Brown our #1, Beasley our slot, and we only have to figure out who that "complementary" WR is going to be, and the room seemed full of guys none of whom would be a bad choice to fill that bill. Today, for the first time, I took a look at Browns stats and nothing really jumped out at me shouting #1 receiver. I figured I'd look at Zay Jones stats to see how much of an upgrade Brown would be. Much to my surprise (if you take away Zay's rookie year where he played with shoulder problems) they pretty much look like the same guy.

I'm not as down on Zay as most of you. While I don't think he's much of a #1 receiver, I think he could play the role as that "complementary guy" just fine, problem is Brown seems to have had HIS problems with missed catches too … have I deluded myself into thinking that Brown is a clear cut #1, I'm NOT talking Jerry Rice, Megatron, OBJ #1, just a sure handed, reliable, you can count on him MOST of the time receiver?

I get it that Brown is faster than Zay, but I don't want faster … I want catches the ball better.

Talk me off the cliff people … convince me we don't have a Zay, and a fast Zay on our hands here.

This is an empirical question.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

He has to share a nickname with Dareus? That doesn’t seem very original......

Well...it is time for a new nickname. I understand the hesitation about John Brown, because everyone was expecting another Brown this year, but here we are. I believe that John Brown and Josh Allen are going to have some moments. I am looking for a big year from a healthy Brown.

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

Brown averages 15 yards a catch, Zay 11.7. Thats where it starts and ends with me.

Just now, Rocket94 said:

When healthy, Brown has proven to be a legitimate deep threat. They don't call him "Smoke" for nothing. He was on pace for a 1k season with Flacco

I can see your points but according to  https://www.pro-football-reference.com  last year Brown caught 43.2% of his targets, Jones caught 54.9% of his targets, soooo if you throw each one 100 times Brown equals 100 X 15 X 43.2% which is roughly equal to 648 yards, to Jones equals 100 X 11.7 X 54.9% is roughly 642.33 yards. I'm sorry I just don't see that much of a difference.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

When healthy, Brown has proven to be a legitimate deep threat. They don't call him "Smoke" for nothing. He was on pace for a 1k season with Flacco

...LOL...love that nickname......but my boy "Frank the Tank" is a close 2nd......the ageless RB wonder......Zay has a place though IMO....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, macaroni said:

I can see your points but according to  https://www.pro-football-reference.com  last year Brown caught 43.2% of his targets, Jones caught 54.9% of his targets, soooo if you throw each one 100 times Brown equals 100 X 15 X 43.2% which is roughly equal to 648 yards, to Jones equals 100 X 11.7 X 54.9% is roughly 642.33 yards. I'm sorry I just don't see that much of a difference.

Just saying...in my opinion, John Brown is a better player when healthy and heavily involved in an offense. I would take him any day over Jones. I dont like Jones at all.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Well...it is time for a new nickname. I understand the hesitation about John Brown, because everyone was expecting another Brown this year, but here we are. I believe that John Brown and Josh Allen are going to have some moments. I am looking for a big year from a healthy Brown.

We shall see. They knew who the top guys were in the first 3 preseason games. They were trying to figure out the bottom of the order. That is mostly what we saw. Hopefully Brown lives up to the contract. I admit I’m more much excited about Beasley, because he opens up what we need Josh to do better. 

Just now, Augie said:

We shall see. They knew who the top guys were in the first 3 preseason games. They were trying to figure out the bottom of the order. That is mostly what we saw. Hopefully Brown lives up to the contract. I admit I’m more much excited about Beasley, because he opens up what we need Josh to do better. 

I love Beasley and I have no doubt about him. All he is doing is continuing his professionalism in a different uniform...guys a pro!

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Brown should do his part...why wouldn't he? We are supposed to be optimistic...lets support the guy.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Just saying...in my opinion, John Brown is a better player when healthy and heavily involved in an offense. I would take him any day over Jones. I dont like Jones at all.

and that's a fine opinion, as a matter of fact that was MY opinion before I ran the numbers … I'm just wondering if it's still a valid opinion and why