The Real Reason Why the Colts' Fans were Booing Andrew Luck

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

If memory serves, there was talk of them tanking that year when Manning was hurt and Luck was looming in the draft, for the simple reason that they stuck with Curtis Painter (remember him!) instead of trying to find and sign a better option, because Painter was god awful. Like, Peterman-level awful. That’s where the narrative comes from.

That's how i remember it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

That gut punch will turn into a haymaker when the Fans find out Luck was asked to delay his announcement. 

As @klos63 said above...sometimes enough is enough. Luck had every opportunity to announce this “change of heart” in April or May. Nooooo, in exchange for $21 million, he decided to “think about it” for three months. Ka-Ching  $$

I think this is completely plausible.  The question I had is, why is he there with the team if he already told the FO he's quitting?  They got busted trying to withhold it from the fans.  

No head coach would let a player who just quit be mingling with ex teammates during a game without a reason.  

Obviously not similar in terms of what the player did for the organization but if Vontae Davis came back out in Bills attire and it broke he quit ......

They weren't booing because they don't appreciate what Luck meant - they boo'd because he shouldn't be out there.  

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I'm a little sick of all the talking heads and current / ex-football players saying the Colts' fans were wrong to "Boo" Andrew Luck.

Sure the guy has been thrown around like a rag doll for the last 6 years, but you have to dig deeper into one issue that has been talked about very little: MONEY

First, we can all agree that Jim Irsay is of questionable integrity. Had a few run-ins with the law, TANKED the year to get Luck, and is overall somewhat slimy.

If Luck was having this pain for the last few years and recently had problems with his calf muscle and ankle, why did it become a "career ending" problem just two weeks before the start of the season. MONEY

Second, take a look at what Luck said on his interview. Paraphrasing here but he said he's had discussions with Chris Ballard over the summer about his pain, physical condition, etc.  Why do you think he held off on making this announcement until two weeks before the season? MONEY

Third, when Irsay found out about Luck's condition and discussions with Ballard, I'll bet Irsay brought Luck into his office and said "Can you hold off for another month or two? Let's wait and see? I'll make it worth your while."  Meanwhile, the Colts were able to renew season tickets and generate revenue based on the assumption (by those same Booing fans) that Luck was all set to play this year.

Fourth, fast forward to the day after his retirement when we hear in passing that Irsay will not seek repayment of the $21 million bonus!!! What??

Something stinks in this whole thing.  Irsay, the delays in announcing retirement, and the "Go ahead and keep $21 million". I don't feel bad for Luck at all. Ironworkers, roofers, police officers, etc. all suffer through pain and discomfort and very rarely get a $21 million dollar golden parachute on retirement.  The dirt will come out soon enough...and the Fans will really start to Boo.

The indisputable fact is that Luck retired.  Almost everything else in BBF's post is opinion.  

We don't know the "real" reason Luck retired.  I do know that every player retires at some point.  Only they can decide when it's right for them and their families.  Luck reevaluated his situation and decided it was best for him to retire now.  That's his right.  He's not required to play football.  

Who among us knows what Luck's family has been advising him or what the doctors have been telling him?   Or how those things may have changed over the course of the year?

I don't feel sorry for Luck.  He had a bad day when folks booed but a bad day doesn't make a bad life.  I do think it's classless for fans to boo him over something like this.  Let's boo Al Qaeda.  Let's boo Neo Nazis.  Let's not boo an athlete because he's doing something as sinister as retiring.   

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Did you read his post?  He just told you.

Luck was asked to hold off making the announcement  as long as possible so that the organization had time to secure maximum ticket sales for the upcoming season.   The fans realized this, paid money to see Luck but aren't going to see him, and were pissed, so they booed.  

As compensation for playing along, Luck gets to keep all that money the organization legally could have taken back from him.

Sure this is somewhat of a "conspiracy theory" but it very well could have played out this way.

It may also have been much more innocent than this too, with Luck finally being pressed to make the decision only when he had to, on the eve of the regular season.  

And in exchange for services performed, being a good guy, and probably in hopes of him changing his mind and wanting him to come back to the team, he was allowed to keep all that bonus cash.

I'd say what really happened is one of these 2 things.

I heard a lot of nonsense, but he didn't state why the fans booed.

It's pretty simple. The fans booed because they were pissed Luck was retiring 2 weeks before the season, because their chances of winning just went way down. That's all. Simple. It wasn't because they all collectively thought of, at the same time, of some weird conspiracy.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I heard a lot of nonsense, but he didn't state why the fans booed.

It's pretty simple. The fans booed because they were pissed Luck was retiring 2 weeks before the season, because their chances of winning just went way down. That's all. Simple. It wasn't because they all collectively thought of, at the same time, of some weird conspiracy.

You are re-stating what I wrote and what BBF wrote, just in using different words.

And actually BBF did explain why they were booing.  Maybe not as directly as you would have preferred.

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The fans booed him because they were drunk at a preseason game. Honestly this whole story got out of hand. It might have been a few loud fans. Yeah there are a few a-holes in a large crowd of drunk people. Who really cares 

Right, and the talking heads/some players seem to act like it’s a pressing world issue. Getting booed as a millionaire is not one of the more cruel things that happen on this earth. Yet the pundits are using this is an example for the decline of western civilization. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Something stinks in this whole thing.  Irsay, the delays in announcing retirement, and the "Go ahead and keep $21 million". I don't feel bad for Luck at all. Ironworkers, roofers, police officers, etc. all suffer through pain and discomfort and very rarely get a $21 million dollar golden parachute on retirement.  The dirt will come out soon enough...and the Fans will really start to Boo.

yes, of course.  and then there is the traditional gathering of the townsfolk to boo the retirement  announcements of the ironworkers, roofers and police officers.  It's a celebrated tradition to boo a person who gave you his all and then decides it's time to retire.

Excellent point.

In your super clever conspiracy run through, you strangely didn't mention that the Colts were still selling tons of season tickets despite 8-8 seasons (more recently WITH Luck) and the continued employment of football mental midget Chuck Pagano....

But keep us posted as to when "the dirt comes out"!

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Nextmanup said:

You are re-stating what I wrote and what BBF wrote, just in using different words.

And actually BBF did explain why they were booing.  Maybe not as directly as you would have preferred.

No. BBF said:

"Why is everyone mad at fans for booing? They were warranted to boo because of x, y, z."

The title of the thread indicates that there is a different reason the fans were booing besides what was originally thought, and that the reason would be given. That reason was never given. Thus my original post (which was just a joke).

Instead, the topic was about conspiracies why the OP feels that Colts fans are justified in their booing.

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I'm a little sick of all the talking heads and current / ex-football players saying the Colts' fans were wrong to "Boo" Andrew Luck.

Sure the guy has been thrown around like a rag doll for the last 6 years, but you have to dig deeper into one issue that has been talked about very little: MONEY

First, we can all agree that Jim Irsay is of questionable integrity. Had a few run-ins with the law, TANKED the year to get Luck, and is overall somewhat slimy.

If Luck was having this pain for the last few years and recently had problems with his calf muscle and ankle, why did it become a "career ending" problem just two weeks before the start of the season. MONEY

Second, take a look at what Luck said on his interview. Paraphrasing here but he said he's had discussions with Chris Ballard over the summer about his pain, physical condition, etc.  Why do you think he held off on making this announcement until two weeks before the season? MONEY

Third, when Irsay found out about Luck's condition and discussions with Ballard, I'll bet Irsay brought Luck into his office and said "Can you hold off for another month or two? Let's wait and see? I'll make it worth your while."  Meanwhile, the Colts were able to renew season tickets and generate revenue based on the assumption (by those same Booing fans) that Luck was all set to play this year.

Fourth, fast forward to the day after his retirement when we hear in passing that Irsay will not seek repayment of the $21 million bonus!!! What??

To the bolded, there's several articles of Jim Irsay saying he told Luck that he should hold off as long as you can on making big decisions.

“I again tried to be the best sounding board I could for him,” Irsay told reporters. “As a father of children that are older than him, you know, life has its spiritual journey, people. I mean this is, you know, this stuff is kind of a ‘bigger than all of us’ sort of issue. And I would never try to talk someone out of something that their heart truly wasn’t into. And so I was there to aboslutely support him and counsel him. Big decisions, you hold off on it. As long as you can, hold off on them. And then when you have to make them, then you make them.” (Emphasis added.)

https://sports.yahoo.com/more-clues-emerge-regarding-colts-023706618.html

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

The Pegulas hired Rex Ryan as their first move as owners.

Everyone on earth knew that Rex Ryan's defensive philosophy wouldn't work with the Top 3 defense created/coached by the prior regime.

But Rex was popular.  He got attention.  He said the "right" things.  Result: record-setting season ticket sales.  Other result: the defense and the team were ruined.

Money rules the day.

The timing of Luck's retirement announcement is suspect, to say the least.  Indy was a sexy pick to make the Super Bowl.  I'm sure their season ticket sales were just lovely.

Something is certainly rotten in Denmark.  And Andrew Luck has $21 million reasons to not give one half of a ***** about those boos.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

To the bolded, there's several articles of Jim Irsay saying he told Luck that he should hold off as long as you can on making big decisions.

“I again tried to be the best sounding board I could for him,” Irsay told reporters. “As a father of children that are older than him, you know, life has its spiritual journey, people. I mean this is, you know, this stuff is kind of a ‘bigger than all of us’ sort of issue. And I would never try to talk someone out of something that their heart truly wasn’t into. And so I was there to aboslutely support him and counsel him. Big decisions, you hold off on it. As long as you can, hold off on them. And then when you have to make them, then you make them.” (Emphasis added.)

https://sports.yahoo.com/more-clues-emerge-regarding-colts-023706618.html

Wow!! Thanks for posting this. Daddy Irsay was such a caring soul that he wanted Little Andrew to delay his announcement. What a great guy. And Andy decided to placate Daddy Warbucks by delaying the announcement for weeks/months?? Oh that’s right...21 million reasons to wait until the season is around the corner. 

@Mr. WEO will have to conduct further investigations. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Wow!! Thanks for posting this. Daddy Irsay was such a caring soul that he wanted Little Andrew to delay his announcement. What a great guy. And Andy decided to placate Daddy Warbucks by delaying the announcement for weeks/months?? Oh that’s right...21 million reasons to wait until the season is around the corner. 

@Mr. WEO will have to conduct further investigations. 

Wow the owner told his QB not to quit but to wait a little longer before he made such a decision?  That's...wild!

How many season tickets do you think this "sexy SB pick" (really, who truly thought this team would beat out NE and KC?  LOL) sold since, say July?  He hasn't practiced all summer--everyone knew something was up.  He was at 3 practices all summer!  Given his injury history and the fact that the team could not give any info on his return, you would have to be a complete moron to be jumping into the Colts season ticket market----in August.  A TOTAL idiot.

So this "Conspiracy" of paying Luck--the man who was already falling apart--to keep his retirement a "secret" for another month or so for very late season ticket sales.....is just kind of dumb.

Edited by Mr. WEO

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

I'd say it's your opinion, but you're certainly entitled to it...

Yours definitely does if you disagree... jilting the bride a week before the wedding isn't acceptable, so why should it be  in this case? Please.

• Like (+1) 1