DE Mike Love - on IR, Waive OL Wesley

Reed83HOF

3 hours ago, Logic said:

The question, now that the Bills appear set to keep 4 DEs instead of 5, is where will that extra roster spot go? 7 WRs? 7 LBs? 4 TEs? An extra DB?

Should be interesting.

There are strong arguments to be made for each position and I will be okay with whoever they decide to keep - the talent depth is so good this year.

My guess is they go with 7 LBs. You have the 3 starters, Thompson as the primary backup, 2 of Lacy/Stanford/Alexander as your ST regulars and added depth, and then hold onto Vosean Joseph as a game day inactive. I think they want to continue to develop him, but he probably won't clear waivers to PS. 

22 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

There are strong arguments to be made for each position and I will be okay with whoever they decide to keep - the talent depth is so good this year.

My guess is they go with 7 LBs. You have the 3 starters, Thompson as the primary backup, 2 of Lacy/Stanford/Alexander as your ST regulars and added depth, and then hold onto Vosean Joseph as a game day inactive. I think they want to continue to develop him, but he probably won't clear waivers to PS. 

Can someone explain the point of keeping Vosean Joseph? He has shown absolutely nothing the entire offseason/training camp/preseason. Being a 5th rounder shouldn't be a guaranteed roster spot. Especially on a team this deep.

5 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Darryl Johnson seems like a lock at this point.

Seems that way to me.  Interesting how Yarbrough used to be the fan darling fringe DE and he probably won't make the team this season.  Yarbrough is a good kid and works hard, but DJ actually has talent.  

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

We'll find out soon but I can see 9 DL with 5 DEs.  Especially with Trent's injury history and Shaq lining up as DT at times.

Not happening remember they used Alexander as a pass rusher last year. 

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Can someone explain the point of keeping Vosean Joseph? He has shown absolutely nothing the entire offseason/training camp/preseason. Being a 5th rounder shouldn't be a guaranteed roster spot. Especially on a team this deep.

Not saying he is guaranteed a roster spot at all. Though if a spot freed up by placing Love on IR then it helps his case as he is definitely a bubble player.

He has great athleticism and has shown play making ability (mostly in college and a couple flashes in preseason), but is prone to mistakes. If they believe it can be coached out of him, he has good upside. 

5 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I liked him coming out and liked the scheme fit. I doubt he would clear waivers so I would be willing to take a punt and keep him as one of my wildcards just for 2019. Similar to what they did with Siran Neal last year. I think the bigger question is why Neal is guaranteed a place again this year when he has actually gone backwards on the depth chart since the start of camp. If the kid from UB hadn't got hurt I think Neal would have been in major trouble. 

14 hours ago, GG said:

Basing it on basic roster management.  You don't waste 2 roster spots on developmental DEs.  Keeping 5 DEs means you're dumping a player from another position group.  Which depth would you be willing to sacrifice to keep Mike Love on the roster?

I would keep 6 LBs and 5 DEs in the name of long term development.  No Shaq potentially next year.

It is now a moot point.

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I liked him coming out and liked the scheme fit. I doubt he would clear waivers so I would be willing to take a punt and keep him as one of my wildcards just for 2019. Similar to what they did with Siran Neal last year. I think the bigger question is why Neal is guaranteed a place again this year when he has actually gone backwards on the depth chart since the start of camp. If the kid from UB hadn't got hurt I think Neal would have been in major trouble. 

Why would Joseph not clear waivers? What team would sacrifice a valuable roster spot for a late round pick who did nothing for the team that drafted him in the preseason?