Is there anything more tedious than Fantasy Football talk?

16 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I used to think the same until I got into one.  It is fun and adds some excitement to games other than the Bills.  It is innocent fun with no downside.

I do have a hard time picking players form other AFCE teams.  Would rather lose in FF than in real life.

I hated it but I had Tom Brady when he threw 50 tds.  I spend the weekend before the Bills-Pats SNF game talking so much crap to Pats fans about the Bills buzzsaw they running into.  Well they beat us 56-10 and Brady had 4 td passes in the first half.  It definitely took a bit of the sting away from the loss haha.

46 minutes ago, eball said:

Cole Beasley will be my final round pick in every league I'm in this year.

I feel like Bills receivers are going to be added and dropped all season.  Very inconsistent.  I did draft Singletary in my keeper league. 

2 hours ago, Element115 said:

Fantasy sports is the D&D of the sports world.  It may now be more mainstream, but it was started and perpetuated by stats/numbers geeks.

The real NFL is perpetuated by stats and numbers geeks.  I think its a pretty hard generalization to say only nerds who didnt play football play fantasy football.

I played it, and now coach it.  I also take part in two leagues because my friends asked me to be a part of it.    Not for nothing, were you not the guy in another post who spends his day listening to podcasts, wgr, and watching youtube at night?   Glass houses my friend.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I am friends with guys who are millionaires from playing DFS. I play both season long and daily and love the fact that it gives my friends and I that have moved all over the country something to interact with and talk about. I started playing fantasy out of the Buffalo News in the early 90's and have been hooked ever since. This is no longer a kids game it has become a phenomenon. Unfortunately the narratives nationwide from all the so called experts is very generic and repetitive. You have to do your own homework to be any good at it. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The real NFL is perpetuated by stats and numbers geeks.  I think its a pretty hard generalization to say only nerds who didnt play football play fantasy football.

I played it, and now coach it.  I also take part in two leagues because my friends asked me to be a part of it.    Not for nothing, were you not the guy in another post who spends his day listening to podcasts, wgr, and watching youtube at night?   Glass houses my friend.

Podcasts - while working

WGR - while driving

Youtube - before bed (untold number of topics including STEM, much more productive than fantasy sports)

None of which take away time from other real life activities or annoy the people around me.

I think the worst part about the fantasy talk is, people thinking they are actually accomplishing something and that you want to hear about it.

Edited by Element115

Sounds like fantasy football isn't one of your interests. But there are millions of people who DO have that interest. The reason they put segments like that in shows is precisely because there is demand for it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Real football talk isn't enough. Let's add PRETEND football talk to the mix! I get why these nerds get on radio. Shows are long and you have to fill them with something. But no one really knows what players are going to do this season. No one. I don't care that you picked up Shady McCoy for $2 in a late round of an auction draft. You might as well be telling me how many nose hairs you have.

Complaining about it is definitely worse. 

2 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

You just read my mind. I live in Boston and tuned into WGR (10 minutes ago) to get a "hometown feel" for the Bills as we near the final big cut. Instead, I got a fantasy breakdown, with a very serious piece of advice, "spend your money in the draft if you want a player!" 

For Crissake, this is a big, big week. Show some Bills knowledge and talk REAL football.  

This is the smallest weak of the preseason to be frank. Least important game of the season and cuts don't happen until Saturday anyways. 

Next week is a big, big week. 

2 hours ago, Element115 said:

Fantasy football is for the geeks who could never play real football.

A majority of the buddies of mine who have toughed it out in my league for the last 10 years are former athletes. The guys who have quit are overwhelmingly not. Maybe the competition part of it, or the fact that we love football and it's an excuse to watch and care about more football. 

13 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I am friends with guys who are millionaires from playing DFS. I play both season long and daily and love the fact that it gives my friends and I that have moved all over the country something to interact with and talk about. I started playing fantasy out of the Buffalo News in the early 90's and have been hooked ever since. This is no longer a kids game it has become a phenomenon. Unfortunately the narratives nationwide from all the so called experts is very generic and repetitive. You have to do your own homework to be any good at it. 

Great post. Totally agree. I watched fantasy go from something pretty passive to being an actual competitive entity. There's a lot of strategy behind it, it's like an elaborate board game that's based on the NFL 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The only thing more tedious, are the "Official Experts" whom broadcasters segue too whenever there is a controversial ruling on a play.

All they do is tell us the incredibly obvious of what the ruling is supposed to be, and they NEVER question the officials call on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Podcasts - while working

WGR - while driving

Youtube - before bed (untold number of topics including STEM, much more productive than fantasy sports)

None of which take away time from other real life activities or annoy the people around me.

I think the worst part about the fantasy talk is, people thinking they are actually accomplishing something and that you want to hear about it.

Listen I understand.  I have a very similar existence.   I listen to podcasts at work and WGR on my way home.  I skip the youtube.  Just try not to generalize on the things that make people worthless nerds.   Tends to be that people judge others on things they take enjoyment in.   We all work our butts off (I think) so try not to kill what little joy a working life allows people. 

I honestly think fantasy talk is more interesting than a lot of regular sports talk. At least the fantasy stuff gets you some interesting stats that you wouldn't hear otherwise. I'd rather listen to that than listening to the Skip Baylesses and Stephen A Smith's of the world.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Element115 said:

Unlike the guys who listen to sports talk radio and get upset because they can't fill a multi hour show 5 days a week with fresh new info?

Or the ones who come and complain about it on internet message boards?

Or anyone who talks about their addiction to placing bets on sporting events?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Element115 said:

Judge much? I am in a league with some guys who actually played in the nfl. Hot take on your part, but fell flat. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1