Is there anything more tedious than Fantasy Football talk?

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Adults Participating in this child’s game is to me, a bit odd, especially considering there is real football right there in front of them.  To me it would be as fruitless as participating in fantasy driveway shoveling... just sayin, 

Go Bills

The average listener doesn’t care about the Atlanta Falcons, etc. Start talking about Julio Jones fantasy implications and they do.

You may not care for fantasy football but its  appeal goes far beyond a “child’s game.”

I’m just not sure Mike Schopp and Jeremy White are who I’d turn to for fantasy advice, though. Guys can barely discuss data-driven stats for their own team let alone the league.

Edited by eanyills

13 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Fantasy sports is the D&D of the sports world.  It may now be more mainstream, but it was started and perpetuated by stats/numbers geeks.

I guess that's why no NFL player has ever participated in a league.

17 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Fantasy football is for the geeks who could never play real football.

I will argue that and serve as an example that you just gave a false narrative. I played and now I play FF. I got into FF with a group of former teammates who live across the globe and it serves as a way to keep in touch and we have fun doing it. As for listening to fantasy shows or reading articles on it...nah.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I will argue that and serve as an example that you just gave a false narrative. I played and now I play FF. I got into FF with a group of former teammates who live across the globe and it serves as a way to keep in touch and we have fun doing it. As for listening to fantasy shows or reading articles on it...nah.

I admit, it has become more pop culture than initially.  Which makes it even more grating.

Edited by Element115

I guet that some don´t like it, but you don´t need to be and **** about it. 

I play FF as an alternative to get together with my freinds, go out and have some beers and actually watch football with some degree of interest in the other games. It is algo good talk on monday at the office messing around with co-workers.

I never watch or catch show about it on the radio, I don´t bet on it, it is pure fun and I don´t see whats wrong with it. Don´t like it, fine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Fantasy sports is the D&D of the sports world.  It may now be more mainstream, but it was started and perpetuated by stats/numbers geeks.

And? Lots of people enjoy it and it is a huge industry and big reason why the NFL is so popular. I personally don't get alot of listening to people talk about it on the radio, but I enjoy playing fantasy football. Its a good way to connect with friends, do some math and win some money.

Its not for everyone, but its a hell of lot more interesting talking fantasy football than engineering on monday morning. At least to me

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Real football talk isn't enough. Let's add PRETEND football talk to the mix! I get why these nerds get on radio. Shows are long and you have to fill them with something. But no one really knows what players are going to do this season. No one. I don't care that you picked up Shady McCoy for $2 in a late round of an auction draft. You might as well be telling me how many nose hairs you have.

If it says Fantasy Football, I move on. Real football has very little to do with individuals.  It's about teams. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

People that don’t put ketchup on scrambled eggs shouldn’t be trusted.

Ketchup on eggs is disgusting.  Do you live in New Jersey..that was the last place I saw someone do this.

And yes, fantasy football talk is boring.  There is enough websites devoted to it that NFLN doesn't need to have a show devoted to it.

12 minutes ago, eanyills said:

The average listener doesn’t care about the Atlanta Falcons, etc. Start talking about Julio Jones fantasy implications and they do.

You may not care for fantasy football but its  appeal goes far beyond a “child’s game.”

I’m just not sure Mike Schopp and Jeremy White are who I’d turn to for fantasy advice, though. Guys can barely discuss data-driven stats for their own team let alone the league.

I have never listened to those two guys, ever.  Not sure why those two are relevant in any way.  Discussion of data driven facts is and has been fully available without pretend football, it has been going on pretty much since football started. but to each his/her own. For me it is on par with fantasy driveway shoveling. But do enjoy if it’s your thing.

Go real football Bills!!!!

50 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

I personally feel the same as the 0P. But, you know, to each his own. If getting into fantasy football help somebody enjoy the sport and, in particular, the Bills more, so be it. I just tune it out.I don’t watch it, listen to it or click on it.

It does not really help them get more interested in their team like if they are Bills fans or whatever other team. 

Have you ever heard a big group of these guys watching NFL games in a sports bar? Schizo bi-polar at its best and it can drive a sane person crazy.

They cheer for their team and then cheer against them at the same time sometimes during same play as some player on other team on their fantasy team makes a play.

I love fantasy football.  It helps bring people into the game.  I’ve had a lot of friends who only watched their own team, if any at all and now they pay attention to all of their players.  

For its popularity, it has to be somewhat good  as it’s everywhere.  

I get that it’s not for you, but that doesn’t make it bad. 

Some people, who also can’t handle competition or gambling, do suffer in it as it can consume them and ruin the actual game for them.  But like football, it’s just that, a game. 

• Like (+1) 2

Agree 100%.  I’m in several leagues because it would be stupid not too.  Easy money.  Listening to other talk about their teams or their Tier rankings is just painful.  No one cares about your teams except you.  Keep it that way

1 hour ago, Element115 said:

Fantasy football is for the geeks who could never play real football.

I’m willing to bet I played at a higher level of football than you and I love fantasy football.  Basically, it is job training for my future job as Bills GM (Yahoo just gave me an A for my draft last night and predicted I will go 11-2!).

and I get the general point.  But how many times can you talk about the battle for 7th receiver on the team?  And in some ways, I think fantasy football has made fans more knowledgeable about the nfl as a whole.  I play fantasy baseball (that’s a grind) and it’s the only reason I know any thing about baseball.  Also, I feel bad that some of you don’t have friends to have a fantasy football league.  That makes me sad.  It’s a great way to stay in touch with people.  We go out for our drafts and have midseason retreats (an excuse to just party for a weekend).  Friends are fun. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m willing to bet I played at a higher level of football than you and I love fantasy football.  Basically, it is job training for my future job as Bills GM (Yahoo just gave me an A for my draft last night and predicted I will go 11-2!).

and I get the general point.  But how many times can you talk about the battle for 7th receiver on the team?  And in some ways, I think fantasy football has made fans more knowledgeable about the nfl as a whole.  I play fantasy baseball (that’s a grind) and it’s the only reason I know any thing about baseball.  

Family parties when games are on are so painful with all the fantasy talk back and forth, everyone having their nose in their phones checking on their teams.  Instead of just watching the damn game that's on TV.  It's just so annoying.  Fantasy talk on the radio is even worse.

3 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Family parties when games are on are so painful with all the fantasy talk back and forth, everyone having their nose in their phones checking on their teams.  Instead of just watching the damn game that's on TV.  It's just so annoying.  Fantasy talk on the radio is even worse.

I definitely get that.  We are all about the Bills first and foremost.  I don’t really like drafting Bills because I have enough invested already.  

But given that the Bills have generally sucked for 18 years, it’s nice to have another reason to care about football. 

• Like (+1) 1