Is there anything more tedious than Fantasy Football talk?

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Real football talk isn't enough. Let's add PRETEND football talk to the mix! I get why these nerds get on radio. Shows are long and you have to fill them with something. But no one really knows what players are going to do this season. No one. I don't care that you picked up Shady McCoy for $2 in a late round of an auction draft. You might as well be telling me how many nose hairs you have.

Agreed, it’s the last thing on earth I want to hear grown men talk about. Sports TV has become virtually unwatchable in recent years.

What's really the difference between radio hosts talking about fantasy teams and asking about what's going on now? 

Most of the time either way they are talking about how good a player is and has played, complaining about trades or not trading for certain players or acting like they would have done things differently.

Is hearing them talk about actual players that are part of their  fantasy football team any worse then talking about whether the Bills should be trading for Clowney for an hour, or arguing over how Wade can be put on the PS?

I would rather hear them talk about fantasy sports teams them stupid made up drafts for random things.

Hmm..Interesting topic.  I use to listen to everything I could on FF, but not anymore, other than just in passing.  I also used to play fantasy leagues but I don't do that either, I ONLY play DFS (Hockey and football).  I find that if you listen to everything on FF you're head tends to explode and you 2nd guess yourself.  To make money in FF and FH, you really should be playing H2H or 50/50, and then play a few lineups in the Millionaire Maker just in case.  :)

Head to head evens the score in terms of who you're up against.  Even the bank-rolled players can only pick their favorite lineup and it's you against them.  I had so much success playing this way last two years (Once I finally figured this out) that I have made a good deal of cash playing, and generally I do better, although just slightly, in Hockey, but FF I'm still way ahead of the cash-out vs, cash-in measure.

The tournaments are loaded with bank-rolled players who use over the counter 3rd party apps to help them select lineups, and then they just bulk enter.  You can place in the cash in these games, but I've never won more than $2500 in the MM with a score of 241.  To give you some perspective the winning lineups scored 268.  The money, and fun is playing 50/50 and H2H.  Start with $5, $10 dollar matches and work your way up.  I mostly play $100 games now as I'm pretty confident, and oh, playing H2H and 50/50 forces you to select your lineups a whole lot different than playing in tournaments.  The latter being high ceiling risk, vs, high floor in 50/50, and H2H.

But to your point, yeah, listening to it becomes tedious after a while.

Tim-

On 8/28/2019 at 11:07 AM, MJS said:

Sounds like fantasy football isn't one of your interests. But there are millions of people who DO have that interest. The reason they put segments like that in shows is precisely because there is demand for it.

My personal opinion is it takes away from the game. It fun to use for bragging rights with friends but when friends become obsessive about it and fight over trades, etc. then it gets out of hand and is a waste of time. There is a difference between a casual player and people in 10 leagues. I was saying it has become obsessive for too many people. I have more to do with my time than guess at player stats...

12 minutes ago, Locomark said:

My personal opinion is it takes away from the game. It fun to use for bragging rights with friends but when friends become obsessive about it and fight over trades, etc. then it gets out of hand and is a waste of time. There is a difference between a casual player and people in 10 leagues. I was saying it has become obsessive for too many people. I have more to do with my time than guess at player stats...

Yeah, and you can say that about literally anything.

For the majority of people who play fantasy football, it is nothing more than a fun hobby. If people get obsessed with it, that's their own problem.

Mike Schoop is such an asshat he was actually playing pre-season fantasy football and talking about it. If you have 20 FF teams and actually play pre-season fantasy.......you have some serious issues. WGR should take him off the afternoon show and give him his own 3 hour FF talk show at 9 p.m. That would solve two problems at once. I can handle when their fantasy expert calls in for 20 mins once a week, but the constant Schoop fantasy babbling is annoying AF.

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/28/2019 at 1:01 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

reading about people talking about the tediousness of Fantasy Football talk

On 8/28/2019 at 1:04 PM, Seven-N-Nine said:

Yeah, this thread is stinky.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:07 PM, MJS said:

"Is there anything more tedious than Fantasy Football talk?"

Yes: Talking about the tediousness of fantasy football talk.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:14 PM, Nextmanup said:

How about complaining about the tediousness of talking about the tediousness of fantasy football talk!?

That's gotta be more tedious.

Nice work.  Was the thread title misleading?

The point is we're not tuning in for FF talk, so why post in the thread?  Just curious...

That would be like someone not wanting to talk FF going into a FF thread to complain, no?