Wade's World - Pre Season Game 4. Needs to clear waivers

3 minutes ago, billrooter said:

Wow your so witty thanks for that.

I see that you are a long time member and that you maybe pop in on occasion ,

but this has been discussed over 1000 times and no one, I repeat no one has been able to definitively show what the exact rule is.  

11 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

If you don't see a lot of Yeldon at RB and he plays ST, then I suspect he makes the team.

Since Dimarco plays special teams he's really here as more likely some kind of insurance against shady/gore etc getting injured.  He likely wouldn't be active on any game days unless people are injured.  

I also think there's a chance he doesn't stick and we keep an extra developmental lineman, DB, or LB that we don't think will make it to our practice squad.

Edited by dneveu

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I see that you are a long time member and that you maybe pop in on occasion ,

but this has been discussed over 1000 times and no one, I repeat no one has been able to definitively show what the exact rule is.  

I am here everyday, just don't post a ton. I thought the other member that replied to my post seen something I didn't see on the subject when he replied to me. I was confused from what I have seen that is why I had a question mark inserted. Thanks for clarifying now your post makes more sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

The Bills have a free spot - why would they not use it?  The real question is to use the free spot or put him on the normal practice squad.  The free spot means he will not play this year, normal leaves the potential to be called to the 53.  I am betting the free spot.

That was my initial inclination  but the "free spot", what exactly does that do for the bills.  He cant play at all this year and after that he can sign with any team, Bills have zero control.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Can anyone explain the roster exemption for Wade?

Do we move him directly to the practice squad or do we have to cut him and expose him to a potential waiver wire pickup?

Here are the Bills' options with RB Christian Wade

1. He can make the 53-man roster at the end of the preseason.

2. He can be put on waivers and claimed by another team and put on its 53-man roster.

3. He can clear waivers. At that point, Wade would then be a free agent, eligible to sign to any NFL team’s 10-man practice squad, including with the Bills. He would be eligible to be promoted to the 53-man roster, or signed to another team’s 53-man roster, if this were to happen.

4. The Bills also have the option of using an exempt, 11th spot on their practice squad for Wade. If the team and player take this option, Wade is locked into the commitment for a year. He would not be eligible to be promoted to the 53-man roster, and no other team could sign him away from the Bills’ practice squad.

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It should be Murphy then.  He adds special teams and Yeldon doesn’t

TJ Yeldon confident he can contribute for Bills

He’s lined up snaps as a special teams contributor this preseason.

While new to his NFL career, it’s not something completely new for the former second-round pick out of Alabama.

“Being at ‘Bama, that’s one thing Nick Saban harped on. I played all four phases of special teams in college,” Yeldon told the Buffalo News.

“Saban harped on technique on special teams, and I feel that’s carried over for me. He always told us, no matter if you’re a starter or the last guy on the team, you’ve gotta get your special-teams reps.”

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Murphy does both as well if not better than Yeldon.  And your 4th back has to contribute on special teams.

Murphy has 327 yards from scrimmage over his 4 year career.  Yeldon has nearly 10 times that over 4 years.

So, no, he doesn't.

31 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That highlights reel shows that Wade is quite capable of going straight up the middle, and beating defenders to get past the line of scrimmage, as well as catching screen passes, holding the football properly and not losing it when tackled, or fumbling the ball.

So he's not just there for the flashy runs into open space, he can do the hard yards as well. Anyone watching that, who didn't know he was a new recruit to NFL, would assume he was an experienced RB, that's how far he's come in a few months. If the Bills don't put him on the roster, other teams will be looking closely at that.

Edited by bargepole
  • Like (+1) 1