Any All-Pro Bills this year?

5 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Nope.

The Bills have a lot of good players, but no one who is elite.

Which doesn't seem to be a bad strategy. I feel like the Eagles won the superbowl primarily on good players. Maybe a DL or 2 were elite, and Ertz?

10 hours ago, H2o said:

I can think of a few guys who might make the list:

1. Matt Milano -I think Milano has the best chance, imo, as he is probably the most instinctive player on the front 7 and he's always around the ball making plays. 

You're right about Milano being instinctive and always around the ball. But, I think he may get "picked on" a bit in the passing game. We saw glimpes of that in the Colts game, and even against the Lions (although they got away with a blatant rub/pick). If I was an offensive coordinator, I'd look at Milano as a weak link on defense when passing, especially with quicker, shiftier RBs that can split out wide. Not to say he's terrible, but the passing game is all about matchups, and the secondary is put together well. Milano may be instinctual, but he's also smaller and not very fast, and teams will scheme against that. For him to earn All-Pro, he'll need to put up monster numbers in tackles, TFL, and INTs for his position, and not get burned all too often.

13 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I like Tre White, but the Bills' zone defense on the back end doesn't tend to lead to lots of recognition, compared to a shut down corner in man coverage.

For White to get the votes, I think it will depend on how opposing offenses plan to attack the Bills defense, and how the Bills utilize him this year.

White is probably better suited in man coverage, but he's good in zone as well. The Bills do a good job of disguising coverages, and they seem to like cloud 3 coverages that appear to be cover 2 pre-snap. That is where Josh Norman excelled and earned first team All Pro in 2015 (under McDermott as DC). He's not a great man cover corner, but they often gave him press duties on the outside, where he would bait the QB into thinking he was going to continue to drop, only to break on throws to the flat. He only had 4 INTs that year, but 2 went for TDs (big factor in All-Pro corner votes), and he had like 20 passes defenses.

If Levi Wallace is the #2, I think he'll be tasked with more zone coverages that give cushion to the WR, and that should give White more flexibilty, especially in cloud coverages. The way this defensive roster is constructed, McDermott/Frazier can really open up the playbook and can maximize it's potential. With Oliver up front, I think we'll see more double A gap pre-snap looks and blitzes with Edmunds and Milano/Alexander, which in theory will confuse QBs and force quicker throws, allowing players in coverage to break on routes. I was surprised to learn after creating this thread, just how often teams threw in White's direction last year, so perhaps he has a better chance than I originally thought.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

2 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

For White to get the votes, I think it will depend on how opposing offenses plan to attack the Bills defense, and how the Bills utilize him this year.

White is probably better suited in man coverage, but he's good in zone as well. The Bills do a good job of disguising coverages, and they seem to like cloud 3 coverages that appear to be cover 2 pre-snap. That is where Josh Norman excelled and earned first team All Pro in 2015 (under McDermott as DC). He's not a great man cover corner, but they often gave him press duties on the outside, where he would bait the QB into thinking he was going to continue to drop, only to break on throws to the flat. He only had 4 INTs that year, but 2 went for TDs (big factor in All-Pro corner votes), and he had like 20 passes defenses.

If Levi Wallace is the #2, I think he'll be tasked with more zone coverages that give cushion to the WR, and that should give White more flexibilty, especially in cloud coverages. The way this defensive roster is constructed, McDermott/Frazier can really open up the playbook and can maximize it's potential. With Oliver up front, I think we'll see more double A gap pre-snap looks and blitzes with Edmunds and Milano/Alexander, which in theory will confuse QBs and force quicker throws, allowing players in coverage to break on routes. I was surprised to learn after creating this thread, just how often teams threw in White's direction last year, so perhaps he has a better chance than I originally thought.

Ironically, when Tre White came out of LSU, he was said to be a good zone coverage CB whose man skills were suspect.

• Like (+1) 1

I think when you look at All-Pro status you have to consider the player but also the competition.  There is no small market bias. But there is a winner/loser bias. A great player on a losing team may not get his due. If the Bills win and they have a great season by a player he will get recognized. 

I think competition at safety is too good in AFC for Hyde or Poyer to make it unless one of them has a high INT total.

My top candidates based on performance potential and competition in order would be:

1. Hughes - who are the other dominant pass rushers in the AFC?  Myles Garrett and who else?

2. Edmunds - is there an elite middle linebacker in AFC?

3. White - he is as good as any, but I wonder how often he will be tested. I favor using him in a matchup man-zone scheme where he takes the opponent #1. That would get him national recognition.  I think McD and Frazier did some of this last year but not frequently. 

4. Dawkins - agree with others. He could make a big step forward in a contract year. He will need Allen to perform well to be recognized I think. But again, is there an elite LT in the AFC like Joe Thomas? No. It is an open competition. 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Five games in, Hyde, Edmunds, and White all have a decent chance. Maybe Morse and Milano get some votes.

If we keep winning games then guys will get recognized. The ole cause-and-effect principle. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

How about this unexpected name.....Feliciano at guard?

I would be surprised if we don’t have at least one guy from the secondary.  All 4 regular starters are playing great.  

Hard to get a guard on the AP team with all of the competition.  But Mongo has been our best lineman IMO.

• Like (+1) 1