Matt Barkley - taking things more serious?

Hebert19

2 hours ago, JohnnyGold said:

I see your thread got shut down, which is unfortunate, because although I think they'll win more than 9 games it is troubling that no one seems to be considering the alternative. 

This is the year we find out if Buffalo is 2014 Seattle, with a monster defense and a young QB who can scramble with an arm that can do just enough to win, with a solid running game and a great coach...

or is Buffalo the 2016 Bills, with a defense that can't carry the offense, a young QB who can scramble with an an arm that can't quite do just enough to win, with a solid running game and a coach that we want to be great...

And if it's the latter, does it get all the way blown up? Or do we end up in the worst situation a fanbase can be in, where we convince ourselves that the rest of the roster is set, and all we need is: Drew Bledsoe, or Kirk Cousins, or Derek Carr?

When the range of possibilities is 4-12, to year one of a championship dynasty... this will be interesting...

Every Bills fan ever is considering the alternative to JA being successful. Some are hoping against hope. Some are excited for the potential. Some hang on one preseason play. Some harken back to his college days. And some are on the ledge of a one story building just waiting for the cue to jump.

There is a marked difference in what you wrote v what the other poster wrote. 

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic that he will develop into a good Qb, and the other players around him will do their part.  Line has to create holes for the RBs.  Line has to give him some time to make plays.  Receivers have to create separation and make plays that they should make with regularity, and catch 50-75% of the more difficult catches that surely will come their way. Coaches have to game plan and adjust in-game.

I can tell you I'm having more fun watching this team develop than I have in years.  Btw, nothing earth shattering but the son of a friend did an internship w/ Buff and said the team is fun and exciting to be around. For whatever that is worth, it's good to hear. 

4 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

I'd say he played pretty well against the Jets in his only start too

Yes, 1 start in his career went well, against a team that won 3 games? Not saying he hasn't improved, but to think Allen is on a short leash because of Barkley is a little absurd.

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

My personal opinion is Jackson starting this week speaks more of what they think about Barkley and wanting to keep him safe than "let's really get a good look at the kid this Thursday and give him some valuable experience."

For sure.  They aren't going to risk either Josh or Matt for an even more meaningless game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

For sure.  They aren't going to risk either Josh or Matt for an even more meaningless game.

Doc, seriously man, I loved him last year, but it was one game.  After all the time he has been in this league and figuring things out and what we saw this preseason I can comfortable say he is one of the best back ups (what does that mean? top 2-4 maybe) in the League.

That doesn't mean I think he should definitely be starting someplace, just that what his job is and what he is here for is superlative to others in this league.

Man-o-man it feels like a nice warm blanket, especially after last year's start of here's some sandpaper for your face and a wad of tin foil to chew on.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

I wouldn’t rule out Barkley starting at some point. Josh Allen hasn’t learned a thing from last year after watching that horrible pick in the last preseason game 

9-7 or bust for me. They don’t even need to make playoffs. Need a winning record. If they don’t get there I don’t believe this team or Allen will ever be good. 

I think Matt's greatest contribution to this team will be as a mentor to Josh. They've already formed a good friendship. He's more polished than Josh but without all the athletic upside. And his value as a top 10 backup is something the Bills have lacked for a very long time. Barkley coming here is just what the doctor ordered. 

9 hours ago, klos63 said:

A 7 year veteran plays well in preseason against players likely to be cut and not even in the league in a couple weeks and people think he can start.

Yep - a bunch of rookies looked really good too.  But once the bullets fly, and teams blitz and confuse you, it becomes a whole different ball game.

11 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

I wouldn’t rule out Barkley starting at some point. Josh Allen hasn’t learned a thing from last year after watching that horrible pick in the last preseason game 

9-7 or bust for me. They don’t even need to make playoffs. Need a winning record. If they don’t get there I don’t believe this team or Allen will ever be good. 

But your name says QB or bust.  Make up your mind. 

47 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Yes, 1 start in his career went well, against a team that won 3 games? Not saying he hasn't improved, but to think Allen is on a short leash because of Barkley is a little absurd.

Couldn’t agree more, Barkley has nothing to do with Allen being on a short leash. Allen has everything to do with Allen being on a short leash 

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pleasant surprise....was meh about pre-draft hype and well traveled, lackluster career.....didn't think much of the signing, but he really seems to be hitting his stride as #2............

He came into the Horseshoe as a true freshman (i think it was his 2nd game ever?) and beat Ohio state in a nationally televised prime time game that until recently was the loudest I had ever heard that stadium. He has ice in his veins. 

Let’s get crazy!!! Are we sure Allen gives the Bills the best chance to win???? Is this EJ/ Orton 2.0?

and Barkley is what he is.  He’s a qb will a much worse career rating than EJ Manuel.  If he has to play extended games, we are in serious trouble.  But he’s a veteran who can make a few plays for a game or 2.  But his arm isn’t going to get magically stronger. 

10 hours ago, klos63 said:

A 7 year veteran plays well in preseason against players likely to be cut and not even in the league in a couple weeks and people think he can start.

How long did Tyrod sit before becoming a starter? I mean, are you going to tell me players cant develop and improve? Is there a limited time frame that if you arent a full time starter you never will be?

Cause, I mean not for nothing Barkley has won games during the regular season and has shown a very good comfort level in Dabolls system.

Moreover, I am not advocating to replace Allen today with Barkley. I am saying Allen should be on a short leash with this roster.

In today's NFL teams have replaced young QBs fairly quickly if they arent panning out. Nothing personal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Let’s get crazy!!! Are we sure Allen gives the Bills the best chance to win???? Is this EJ/ Orton 2.0?

and Barkley is what he is.  He’s a qb will a much worse career rating than EJ Manuel.  If he has to play extended games, we are in serious trouble.  But he’s a veteran who can make a few plays for a game or 2.  But his arm isn’t going to get magically stronger. 

This just in,

Barkley is running the Daboll O more effectively then Allen right now and probably does give Buffalo a better ability (not chance) to win football games at this point in time IMO. Matt Barkley is seeing the field well, decisive, throwing with anticipation and accuracy. So decisive the supposed to low of velocity throws have been a non factor on the football field in my humble opinion Biscuit.

The Buffalo Bills are in the process of developing the 1st franchise QB they have had in almost 2 decades. Josh Allen came out of college about as raw as you can get. It takes time to develop him and its not happening overnight. So for folks that want to call Allen a bust for one bad play, or even one bad game , get real, he has less then a full season of games under his belt.

As does Barkley...