Matt Barkley - taking things more serious?

Hebert19

13 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Was trying to not to have a vague title of Matt Barkley so added the more serious part.  

I've watched him in the past and he didn't seem in shape so to speak...was a little rounder than you would expect.   He also didn't seem to have the same command of things in his other backup jobs...

But this year...he's come in and did exactly what you would want.  He's helping Josh.   He's in great shape (looks like a different guy if you ask me).   And seems all in here in buffalo.  

Not sure if it is that he's taking it more serious or just a better fit for him.   Thoughts?

My thoughts are Matt Barkley has found and accepted his role here in Buffalo as JAs backup.

He's had a roller coaster ride from his college days and his only big chance came with the Bears who were in tank mode by the time

he got to start.  If he plays within his skills and accepts his below average arm he can be a decent backup if needed.

Didn't really have much of a opinion on him when he came here, but since he's been here I have grown to cheer him on.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

My thoughts are Matt Barkley has found and accepted his role here in Buffalo as JAs backup.

He's had a roller coaster ride from his college days and his only big chance came with the Bears who were in tank mode by the time

he got to start.  If he plays within his skills and accepts his below average arm he can be a decent backup if needed.

Didn't really have much of a opinion on him when he came here, but since he's been here I have grown to cheer him on.

Joe Montana was tagged the same way once upon a time...

... I'm just saying...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

How long did Tyrod sit before becoming a starter? I mean, are you going to tell me players cant develop and improve? Is there a limited time frame that if you arent a full time starter you never will be?

Cause, I mean not for nothing Barkley has won games during the regular season and has shown a very good comfort level in Dabolls system.

Moreover, I am not advocating to replace Allen today with Barkley. I am saying Allen should be on a short leash with this roster.

In today's NFL teams have replaced young QBs fairly quickly if they arent panning out. Nothing personal.

If you go back an read my initial reply, I said that maybe he has improved.

He's won 2 games as a starter in his career.

56 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Barkley's strengths are Allen's weaknesses and vice versa. He is a perfect backup and mentor and apparently they have become very good friends. Josh has the keys to the Lambo and Matt will only touch the ball in case of injury.

The logic seems to be that any veteran, regardless of their actual performance on the field is assumed to be a mentor.  I don't get it. I think people like saying the word 'mentor'.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Matt Barkley getting compared to Joe Montana. I used to hate the preseason but takes like this make me love it!

Hey man, Its almost time for take off,

We need to get into regular season boasting / posting form.

Saying Montana and Barkley were both considered to have noodle arms coming out of college is probably not the kind of comparison Matt Barkley would be proud of in my humble opinion Biscuit.

Edited by Figster
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

It is nice to know that the Bills have a competent back up if things go sideways. Barkley seems to be able to manage this team when called upon.

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'll say it again in this thread.

There was a reason Matt was not playing ...  Yet I'm glad for it this year

I highly doubt this will be a Kurt Warner repeat.   I'd love it but I doubt it  

Nice comparison though Shady, stocking shelves at $ 5.50 an hour.

Is it an exception to the rule, absolutely, but there are exceptions.

thanks

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Figster said:

Hey man, Its almost time for take off,

We need to get into regular season boasting / posting form.

Saying Montana and Barkley were both considered to have noodle arms coming out of college is probably not the kind of comparison Matt Barkley would be proud of in my humble opinion Biscuit.

You’re a good dude (assuming since I don’t know you) Fig.  I actually liked Barkley the most in his draft class.  But a lot more guys fail with a noodle arm than succeed.  Montana is the exception.  Think about it this way.  Barkley’s qb rating is 9 points lower than EJ’s.  

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's the perfect backup. I'm glad he's accepted his role. 

I mean what other options did he have?

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re a good dude (assuming since I don’t know you) Fig.  I actually liked Barkley the most in his draft class.  But a lot more guys fail with a noodle arm than succeed.  Montana is the exception.  Think about it this way.  Barkley’s qb rating is 9 points lower than EJ’s.  

I mean what other options did he have?

Ditto,

On the career QB rating I think you might find many QB's 1st 16 games ever played in the NFL that went on to have successful careers as a starter didn't have a sparkling rating within that time frame.

With all due respect C.Biscuit97

23 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

It is nice to know that the Bills have a competent back up if things go sideways. Barkley seems to be able to manage this team when called upon.

Lots of fans don't want to see him play but I do..............lots of knees in the 4th!

• Haha (+1) 1