Matt Barkley - taking things more serious?

Hebert19

Was trying to not to have a vague title of Matt Barkley so added the more serious part.  

I've watched him in the past and he didn't seem in shape so to speak...was a little rounder than you would expect.   He also didn't seem to have the same command of things in his other backup jobs...

But this year...he's come in and did exactly what you would want.  He's helping Josh.   He's in great shape (looks like a different guy if you ask me).   And seems all in here in buffalo.  

Not sure if it is that he's taking it more serious or just a better fit for him.   Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2

He is who he is.  His anticipatory style of Qb creates a good change up to Allen.  With Allen's arm strength and athleticism he can hold the ball longer than Barkley can.  To me he can come in and win a few games.  After a small samples size he will come around similar to Fitzmagic turn to Fitztragic.  Defenders sit on routes and flood the windows he operates in.  He is a top tier backup.  He is good enough to help keep Allen sharp but not talented enough to be divisive in the locker room or fan base.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I wouldn’t rule out Barkley starting at some point. Josh Allen hasn’t learned a thing from last year after watching that horrible pick in the last preseason game 

9-7 or bust for me. They don’t even need to make playoffs. Need a winning record. If they don’t get there I don’t believe this team or Allen will ever be good. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He is young, and knows that jobs that pay what he makes in the real world suck the grand wahzoo, so he’s doing what he can to cash in, in a good environment, so he has bought in to the Bills way of doing it. Jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

He's been pretty dialed in since last season I mean you could see how excited he got on that first down at the end of the Lions game. Might just be that the culture/coaches/teammates are a really great fit for him.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, QBorBust2018 said:

I wouldn’t rule out Barkley starting at some point. Josh Allen hasn’t learned a thing from last year after watching that horrible pick in the last preseason game 

9-7 or bust for me. They don’t even need to make playoffs. Need a winning record. If they don’t get there I don’t believe this team or Allen will ever be good. 

One bad decision isn't enough for me to say a guy hasn't learned a thing (although it is an alarming play) and I think Allen will show a much more contained playing style because the team will be built to play a more conservative style. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, QBorBust2018 said:

0 chance Barkley plays unless Allen gets hurt.  Allen is going to make that every now and again.  It's also going to create 50 yard gains.  To be fair it didnt hurt him or the team Friday because of the defensive penalty.  Hes got the Farve mindset to him.  For as much as you dont want him to make those type of plays, it's what also could make him great.  

• Like (+1) 2

He’s got pretty much the best job in the world. Like 50th best QBs comes with a great paycheck, no expectations, tons of praise if you can not be a disaster for a few minutes every year and almost no injury risk. Show up and work out and be good on the white board and carry a smile and your a folk hero that’s top 10 paycheck on your team. 

More power to the guy if he figured that out 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 7

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure what it is, but he seems to really embrace the role he’s in now. 

Yeah.  I remember in the Lions game last year you could see him on the sidelines celebrating when Josh converted on 4thdown to clinch the game.

Im pretty positive his response was authentic 

The guy was on the streets and got the call to come in, how much more of a wake up call do you need?  He had to make it here or there was NO guarantee he was getting back in the league.  He better be focused and happy to have a job, most of his QB draft class is already working in another field.  Im happy for him, think he's probably a top 5 back up right now, but he's  invhes from being out of the league completely, he has to embrace the suck and hope to hang on for 5-10 more years if hes lucky.  If he does, great career and living, if not, hes still made a lot of money in real world terms, in a short span. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would also embrace getting paid millions without getting my spleen lacerated or my ribs crushed! Matt’s got a good gig! I bet he smiles in his sleep!  ? 

1 hour ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Image result for you're silly gif

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He may not be a starting caliber talent but a quality back up QB in the NFL can carve out a very comfortable living and make more in one year than the average person makes in 30-40 years. Matt Moore is the first that comes to mind. I'm sure once he came to grips with his limitations and what he is capable of he embraced it like you said.