Miami considers itself the leader for acquiring Clowney; he doesn’t want to go there

YoloinOhio

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s like everything on here. If it’s something that you WANT to happen you’ll believe any and everything. If it’s something that you DON’T WANT he could be at the introductory press conference and you won’t think it’s real.

Well, you know how that stuff goes: if it didn't hit the news wire then it definitely didn't happen behind closed doors.

• Like (+1) 1

From Jay Glazer:

https://theathletic.com/1170876/2019/08/29/jay-glazers-nfl-mailbag-on-andrew-luck-potential-trades-and-a-personal-note-on-anxiety-and-depression/

Which trades do you see happening in the next week or so? —Jubair A. 

Usually, around this time teams start calling around about guys that they know they’re going to cut. They’re looking to try and trade them to someone for usually a late-round draft pick.

Obviously, Jadeveon Clowney is a guy we all know is on the trade block. I said it last week on our FOX broadcast down in Miami, that the Dolphins made the best offer to Houston but it’s up to Clowney to come and sign the actual tender. He has to to agree to go somewhere and sign his tender before he goes anywhere else and he’s not agreeing to do that at this point. I think he views Miami as a team that’s rebuilding and I don’t think he wants to go to a rebuilding team. The Texans have to convince him to take the trade that they want but he holds the power here or they could sit tight and he could at some point come in and play for the team. I think in the end, they end up trading him.

24 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

With their “whole roster for sale”,

it’s just incredibly odd Miami would be pursuing him. To what end? To go 4-12 instead of 2-14?

Its an incredibly asinine trade for them to make but its also miami so its come to be expected. Makes no sense for a rebuilding team to make that move. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

With their “whole roster for sale”,

it’s just incredibly odd Miami would be pursuing him. To what end? To go 4-12 instead of 2-14?

Not sure I'd be willing to do it if I were in their shoes but:

1. It's the GM's 4th year in the role. He might not get a 5th if the season is a disaster as it appears likely to be.
  2. Clowney is only 26. He fits the timeline of a rebuilding team and will likely outplay whatever draft pick compensation they need to surrender to acquire him/outplay his next contract. At the same time, he probably won't be such a difference maker as to take them out of the running for a great QB prospect this year.

Jadeveon Clowney Injury History

Date League Injury Details
Sep 9, 2018 NFL Back Lower Lumbar Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Clowney missed Week 2 with an unspecified back injury.
Jan 8, 2018 NFL Knee Strain Grade 1 Clowney underwent arthroscopic knee surgery shortly after the 2017 season ended.
Jan 23, 2017 NFL Knee Strain Grade 1 Clowney underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee after the 2016 season.
Dec 24, 2016 NFL Arm Elbow Sprain  
Nov 27, 2016 NFL Arm Elbow Sprain  
Dec 27, 2015 NFL Pedal Lisfranc Sprain  
Nov 1, 2015 NFL Back Lower Lumbar Sprain  
Oct 8, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2  
Nov 23, 2014 NFL Knee Meniscus Tear Clowney missed the final 5 games of the season dealing with complications from his September surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee. He had microfracture surgery in December.
Sep 7, 2014 NFL Knee Meniscus Tear Clowney underwent surgery for a torn lateral meniscus in his knee.
Aug 14, 2014 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Clowney missed about a week of training camp with a concussion.
Jun 3, 2014 Non-NFL Inguinal Groin Sports Hernia Clowney played through a sports hernia in his final season at South Carolina and underwent surgery in June 2014.
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I still see nothing in the trade for Clowney that benefits him if he goes to Miami. It will be strictly a one year rental. Why would he go there when the team has no chance of winning for a few years, as the team is in tear down mode.  If he can agree to a trade that benefits his team, and him he gets 16 million, why not hold out to make it happen. Why not force the team to trade him to a team he wants to play on, and may have  the opportunity to sign a future rich new contract with next year. Playing on a gutted tear down team opens himself up to a much greater chance of injury, and no chance of post season or winning. Hard to enjoy playing or to be motivated in Miami. And it will not help Miami to be a winner. He has no trade value to them as he is a one year rental on a team that is in teardown mode.

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Not sure I'd be willing to do it if I were in their shoes but:

1. It's the GM's 4th year in the role. He might not get a 5th if the season is a disaster as it appears likely to be.
  2. Clowney is only 26. He fits the timeline of a rebuilding team and will likely outplay whatever draft pick compensation they need to surrender to acquire him/outplay his next contract. At the same time, he probably won't be such a difference maker as to take them out of the running for a great QB prospect this year.

I agree with the GM trying to save his hide part. Sounds like a move Whaley would’ve done. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234539572.html

Texans coach Bill O’Brien is desperate to add a left tackle of Tunsil’s quality and might be amenable to including two high picks.

Houston has been relentless in its pursuit of Tunsil and has been working to come up with something to the Dolphins’ liking, according to the source.

Asked Thursday night if Tunsil might be traded, coach Brian Flores offered no assurances that he wouldn’t be.

“There’s no trade in place for him,” Flores said, going on to say that his conversations with Tunsil are private.

6 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234539572.html

Texans coach Bill O’Brien is desperate to add a left tackle of Tunsil’s quality and might be amenable to including two high picks.

Houston has been relentless in its pursuit of Tunsil and has been working to come up with something to the Dolphins’ liking, according to the source.

Asked Thursday night if Tunsil might be traded, coach Brian Flores offered no assurances that he wouldn’t be.

“There’s no trade in place for him,” Flores said, going on to say that his conversations with Tunsil are private.

If they want to offer me Clowney and a 2nd for Dawkins, then we can wrap this baby up by 7:00am.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s like everything on here. If it’s something that you WANT to happen you’ll believe any and everything. If it’s something that you DON’T WANT he could be at the introductory press conference and you won’t think it’s real.

+1745

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This.

The Eagles and Seahawks make zero sense as destinations for Clowney.

They are already into the ridiculous salary for QB stage..........the Seahawks just TRADED a better pass rusher in Frank Clark to avoid paying him........the Eagles have spent a lot of $ to get to and try to defend their SB.........it doesn't add up.

The Dolphins and Jets make more sense wrt the stage they  but they both have new coaches that everyone around the league can envision being 1 and done's right now.

The Bills aren't considered a SB contender but they are considered a more stable situation with a possible franchise QB and a TON of cap space.

• Like (+1) 2