Miami considers itself the leader for acquiring Clowney; he doesn’t want to go there

YoloinOhio

20 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

A good agent would be using Miami as leverage for a better landing spot. 

Maybe that’s why he fired his agent. He doesn’t want to go to Miami and he was thinking he was heading there anyway because O’Brien and Flores are compadres. That’s no bueno from the agent. 

16 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

O'Brien wants to help out an old buddy and get something for an asset he can't hold on to. He was likely behind Gaine's ouster in favor of the guy from NE and was rebuffed by the Patriots with a lawsuit. He isn't going to trade Clowney for anything less than highway robbery to Brian Gaine's new team or else he'd be helping make himself look bad.

Pretty decent take 

Edited by YoloinOhio

14 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

You missed one important option - he can wait to sign the tag after the trade deadline passes - getting paid for 10 weeks (10 million dollars) and accruing his season and effectively blocking any trade he does not want to be a part of.

He can also make signing the tender contingent on being traded to a team he wants because there is nothing the Texans can do until he signs.

I also believe the Texans could rescind the tag and effectively make him a FA right now and lose and compensation, but that would just be dumb. 

Basically he has already blocked a trade to Miami once.  They then got a meeting and it does not seem Clowney is still real interested and he still holds the cards.  I got think Miami is just stupid if they meet a deal for a guy that has made it clear a couple of times he is not happy going there.  You get a dejected player that is not happy - seems like a recipe for disaster.

Then why not just play the year under the tag for Houston?  Then enter FA after the season?

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Then why not just play the year under the tag for Houston?  Then enter FA after the season?

That’s what I’m wondering. He says he wants to play for a contender. He’s already on a contender. The $ is the same no matter where he plays. Yes he can be tagged a 2nd time but that’s unlikely given the size of the cap hit imo 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s what I’m wondering. 

Personally, If i'm having to play a contract year on the tag, I'd rather play on a stacked defense and a team that is gonna get national hype like the Texans. He's probably worried that he'll play it out in Houston and they'll tag him again and flip him wherever they want. I wouldn't trust B.O.B not to be a d-bag. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Personally, If i'm having to play a contract year on the tag, I'd rather play on a stacked defense and a team that is gonna get national hype like the Texans. He's probably worried that he'll play it out in Houston and they'll tag him again and flip him wherever they want. I wouldn't trust B.O.B not to be a d-bag. 

There is a ton of info out there about the situation and who knows what is legit. But I’ve read most of it and I’m thinking he actually wants to stay in Houston but since they don’t plan to pay him and need some other pieces, they are trying to use him as a trade chip to get a LT, WR, etc. So he’s at the point where he knows he’s out for that reason but has leverage on where he goes because of the tag. So it’s a messy situation for several reasons including that the Texans don’t have a GM. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It sounds like that was his plan to sign this week and report - right up until all the trade info started.

I think he wanted to be in Houston- hence working with Gaines on an extension before O’Brien decided to go another direction.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is a ton of info out there about the situation and who knows what is legit. But I’ve read most of it and I’m thinking he actually wants to stay in Houston but since they don’t plan to pay him and need some other pieces, they are trying to use him as a trade chip to get a LT, WR, etc. So he’s at the point where he knows he’s out for that reason but has leverage on where he goes because of the tag. So it’s a messy situation for several reasons including that the Texans don’t gave a GM. 

Wasn't that supposedly part of the rift between Gaine and O'Brien? Gaine wanted to re-sign Clowney and BO nixed the idea?

Edited by H2o

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

It sounds like that was his plan to sign this week and report - right up until all the trade info started.

He's been on the block since weeks ago..

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Wasn't that supposedly part of the rift between Gaine and O'Brien? Gaine wanted to re-sign Clowney and BO nixed the idea?

I heard O'Brien didn't want to let Gaines "work from home".

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think he wanted to be in Houston- hence working with Gaines on an extension before O’Brien decided to go another direction.

I mean - he’s like fine, if I’m being traded regardless don’t send me to a ***** team. His agent (or former agent) probably gave him a list of teams interested in trading for him who also have the cap space and the assets to trade and out of those he’s accepted eagles/hawks. But O’Brien is pushing Miami on him and it’s comical. Hope they trade Tunsil for him and then he walks. 

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Just report after the trade deadline (after 4pm October 29 but before 4pm Nov 12) and force Houston to cut you or let you play. 

If the Texans are shoving Miami down his throat as the only option, and he really doesn’t want to go there, he should do this