Miami considers itself the leader for acquiring Clowney; he doesn’t want to go there

YoloinOhio

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wait, the eagles would get Clowney AND a first for Dillard?!?  

Dillard was the 22nd pick. Good chance the Texans are drafting in that range in 2020. 

Jeez 

Clowney is NOT Beane material. 

1) Puts self before team. 

2) Favors Seattle and Philly over Fish? See ya. Have fun bro. 

3) Was talking with @GoBills808 and @GunnerBill today and if Clowney already knows who he wants to sign with, our 1 year rental is a waste of dinero. 

4) Questionable work ethic (unless you want to watch his ONE play in college and see him destroy a RB in the backfield). Other than that, he’s just another pre-Madonna 

3 hours ago, Chemical said:

I suspect some Bills fans are too fond of draft picks and cap space. They lose sight of the fact that those things become players and usually players  not quite as good as Clowney.

It's the Beane effect. I'm not saying his approach won't work, but the way he went about reshaping the roster has definitely made the FANS focus too much on cap space, in particular.

You look around the league at teams with tons of good players and they constantly find ways to wiggle around the cap. I like to think Beane took the approach he took because he didn't believe the players jettisoned fit his vision and not because he believed the ultimate goal was to have the most cap space. The one aspect of his approach, which is clear, is that the draft is the way to build this particular franchise. It's the correct approach. Reality is we're very unlikely to be one of the desirable FA destinations, so your ability to draft well is a little more important than other locales.

The least of my concerns regarding the team at this point in time is cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

3) Was talking with @GoBills808 and @GunnerBill today and if Clowney already knows who he wants to sign with, our 1 year rental is a waste of dinero. 

4) Questionable work ethic (unless you want to watch his ONE play in college and see him destroy a RB in the backfield). Other than that, he’s just another pre-Madonna 

How can you say all this? ?  There are so many on this board that think Clowney would be the answer to all our defensive problems and will get like 50 sacks this year.  To think otherwise is stupid, or so I've read.

• Haha (+1) 1

O'Brien wants to help out an old buddy and get something for an asset he can't hold on to. He was likely behind Gaine's ouster in favor of the guy from NE and was rebuffed by the Patriots with a lawsuit. He isn't going to trade Clowney for anything less than highway robbery to Brian Gaine's new team or else he'd be helping make himself look bad.

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

O'Brien wants to help out an old buddy and get something for an asset he can't hold on to. He was likely behind Gaine's ouster in favor of the guy from NE and was rebuffed by the Patriots with a lawsuit. He isn't going to trade Clowney for anything less than highway robbery to Brian Gaine's new team or else he'd be helping make himself look bad.

I definitely think the Bills were very interested, but squeezed out. May not have been willing to part with as much, maybe Clowney wasn’t interested, or BOB didn’t take their calls (fall out with Gaine)

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

I hate the Dolphins, so admittedly, I don't know all the intricacy of their roster....but I thought they were in the process of tearing it down and re-building.  They traded for Rosen....would't keeping Kenny Stills for him to throw to, benefit them a lot more, in the long-run, than trading for Clowney?  

47 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I grant you this, but my rebuttal is...........

What has Houston done with Clowney and what makes you think he can take the Bills to the next level when Clowney hasn’t done it on the same team with Hopkins and Watt on it?

Clowney had a major impact on that defense.  Imo, their is a massive front office/ coaching staff disconnect in that organization. 

The last 3 to 5 years has been a power struggle of sorts since their longtime GM/President, semi retired, returned, and retired.  I think Clowneys contract status unfolded all during this time.  From my understanding contract talks started and stopped multiple times, and now its deteriorated.  

Why a player can agree to a contract is largely irrelevant.  Clowney hasnt been a cancer like AB.  NFL players are starting to flex some negotiating muscle for the first time.  The franchise tag is *****..  The tag wasnt intended for what it is used for.  It was a fall safe for teams to have some leverage to negotiate long term.  More often then not teams low ball the player and dont negotiate in good faith.  

Buffalo has a foundation.  They have found a winning formula imo.  What makes Buffalo a playoff contender or Superbowl contender are a few impact players.  Whether its trade, Fa, or development.  Clowney would be an impact player.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dubs said:

Wait, the eagles would get Clowney AND a first for Dillard?!?  

Dillard was the 22nd pick. Good chance the Texans are drafting in that range in 2020. 

Jeez 

Yeah. That has to be a mistake. No chance the Eagles are getting a first and Clowney for a recent draft pick that the Texans passed on 3 picks before the Eagles took him. Fake news.

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

I hate the Dolphins, so admittedly, I don't know all the intricacy of their roster....but I thought they were in the process of tearing it down and re-building.  They traded for Rosen....would't keeping Kenny Stills for him to throw to, benefit them a lot more, in the long-run, than trading for Clowney?  

Yes and Stills seems to have good games against the Bills. I would love for them to trade him. With his rift with ownership/HC though I think they want to move on. Please do.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I definitely think the Bills were very interested, but squeezed out. 

Yeah, I think Beane is all in on Clowney.  Especially if he thought he could get him for a 2nd.  Chances are, no second rounder is doing what he does and having a free agent the caliber of him choose buffalo as his home is unlikely imo.  Get him here, franchise him and hope after 2 years he loves it.  If it’s obvious after season one it isn’t going to happen, trade him

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Texas currently doesnt have income tax either....dont think that is a real issue

Since he got a franchise tag---my understanding--- even if traded he cant sign an extension until after the season.

That is correct so you would be taking his word that he would sign another contract and what agreeable terms are which is something our front office would know from Gaine being there.  Any high level pick IMO is too much risk for one year rental with no experience in system.

12 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Yuuup!

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. That has to be a mistake. No chance the Eagles are getting a first and Clowney for a recent draft pick that the Texans passed on 3 picks before the Eagles took him. Fake news.

Not necessarily. Dillard is a guy the Texans reportedly coveted in the draft and didn’t get. He’s a player at a position of big time need who they would have on a rookie deal up to 5 years. Clowney is a player who carries a giant tag # for 2019 and no guarantee he doesn’t walk after this year - you can tag him a 2nd time but that’s a 19+ mill cap hit if you do. Eagles are an immediate contender and already have peters at LT. It’s a “Win” for both, eagles take a LT next year instead with the extra 1st. Seems crazy but Dillard’s worth > Clowney’s worth right now 

Edited by YoloinOhio