Miami considers itself the leader for acquiring Clowney; he doesn’t want to go there

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Zero state income tax = huge advantage for Clowney on a $140 million contract with $55 million guaranteed or whatever it is he’ll get.

Texas currently doesnt have income tax either....dont think that is a real issue

Since he got a franchise tag---my understanding--- even if traded he cant sign an extension until after the season.

1 minute ago, djp14150 said:

Texas currently doesnt have income tax either....dont think that is a real issue

Since he got a franchise tag---my understanding--- even if traded he cant sign an extension until after the season.

I think he’d be happy to stay in Texas - but they don’t want to pay him.  That’s the whole issue.

I don't know who's going to end up getting him but after all of this I'm glad it's not Buffalo. I'm really not so sure he's all that good and does not sound like the kind of player that would fit into this team. BTW how in the heck did Miami get all of those draft picks I must have missed something

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I don't know who's going to end up getting him but after all of this I'm glad it's not Buffalo. I'm really not so sure he's all that good and does not sound like the kind of player that would fit into this team. BTW how in the heck did Miami get all of those draft picks I must have missed something

They traded for Rosen. Arizona needed to send all those picks with him for miami to take him. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1

So just listened to radio here in Lauderdale. They had the Fins reporter on from the Herald and he believes it’s a 50/50 chance with them sending Stills and Minkah but no draft picks. Apparently Flores met with Clowney and sold him on his vision of the future. Mostly just conjecture IMO. 

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

So just listened to radio here in Lauderdale. They had the Fins reporter on from the Herald and he believes it’s a 50/50 chance with them sending Stills and Minkah but no draft picks. Apparently Flores met with Clowney and sold him on his vision of the future. Mostly just conjecture IMO. 

only room for one fitzmagic in this here city

37 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

At some point you have to start rebuilding- maybe they feel Clowney gets the ball rolling? Who knows thou, that organization is a cluster.

Miami trading for Clowney seems very much like when Buffalo signed Mario.  Acquiring an elite Edge is not a bad way to start a rebuild.

Something yet to be discussed is that if the report that Houston is trying to get a second are true, then BoB effed up here.  They could’ve gotten much more - a first plus more - for Clowney if they had traded him while he was still allowed to sign a multi year deal.  That’s a big mistake. 

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I want to see how our SEVENTH rounder develops

...just a hunch, but I think this Daryl Johnson kid will be another late day gold find for McBeane & Company.....think this kid comes in hungry as hell as a 7th with no Clowney baggage and exorbitant tariff demands.....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Miami trading for Clowney seems very much like when Buffalo signed Mario.  Acquiring an elite Edge is not a bad way to start a rebuild.

Something yet to be discussed is that if the report that Houston is trying to get a second are true, then BoB effed up here.  They could’ve gotten much more - a first plus more - for Clowney if they had traded him while he was still allowed to sign a multi year deal.  That’s a big mistake. 

Yea but I don't think we were trying to shop or entire team while trying to sign him. 

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just a hunch, but I think this Daryl Johnson kid will be another late day gold find for McBeane & Company.....think this kid comes in hungry as hell as a 7th with no Clowney baggage and exorbitant tariff demands.....

When you have a 7th rounder come in and make it so you have to keep in on the final roster because he wont clear waivers....you have struck gold in a few different ways

He is on a cost effective contract....something Clowney would NOT be

You have him for a number of years

If you bring in Clowney....you are basically regulating the kid to the bench...he does not get better that way

Personally I love this kid.....he bends to get around OT's....he has the height weight wingspan ratio that your looking for.....he will probably be Shaq's replace on this roster come this next year (and if Shaq shows out all the better....pay Shaq and be set at the DE position)

We just extended Hughes....it only makes sense to be cost effective when you give a big contract to another player at a position IF you can......teams that win are the teams that draft well.

I mean I really dont get it.....we have found a GM that looks to be hitting HOME RUNS on draft picks....but we want to pay a good player a ***** load of money at the same position....why?   Lets develop and pay our OWN players and supplement with free agency.   That to me sounds like a better plan IF we draft well.

• Like (+1) 3

I should ask all Bills fans............

Do you really want the Bills to spend 20+ mill on a player who doesn’t make a GREAT impact when he has J.J. freaking Watt across from him?

Never mind what the Bills have to give up to get him.

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Just my opinion....but I was much higher on Mario WIlliams then I am on Clowney.

I am not saying Clowney is not a good player...I just dont think he is an ELITE player.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

He made a play covering a kick that REALLY caught my eye. “Whoa! Who was THAT?” 

Not saying he’s going to be a stud, or even make the team, but extremely intriguing and makes me want to see MORE. Fingers crossed! 

https://finheaven.com/threads/another-clowney-to-miami-rumor.356135/page-4

Dolphin fans don't seem to like the idea of Clowney either.  Especially since they just got rid of Cam Wake, who had better production.

It might also push them from suck to below average, sabotaging their tanking season.

8 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

The money Clowney wants will be better spent on white, allen, our young linebackers......that time is not so far away.

Clowney will be long gone before then.

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

When you have a 7th rounder come in and make it so you have to keep in on the final roster because he wont clear waivers....you have struck gold in a few different ways

He is on a cost effective contract....something Clowney would NOT be

You have him for a number of years

If you bring in Clowney....you are basically regulating the kid to the bench...he does not get better that way

Personally I love this kid.....he bends to get around OT's....he has the height weight wingspan ratio that your looking for.....he will probably be Shaq's replace on this roster come this next year (and if Shaq shows out all the better....pay Shaq and be set at the DE position)

We just extended Hughes....it only makes sense to be cost effective when you give a big contract to another player at a position IF you can......teams that win are the teams that draft well.

I mean I really dont get it.....we have found a GM that looks to be hitting HOME RUNS on draft picks....but we want to pay a good player a ***** load of money at the same position....why?   Lets develop and pay our OWN players and supplement with free agency.   That to me sounds like a better plan IF we draft well.

I love Johnson, I think he can be special.

That being said, I don't think you put your eggs in the basket of a 7th rounder and pass on a good/great player if he's there for the taking. 

12 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

The money Clowney wants will be better spent on white, allen, our young linebackers......that time is not so far away.

Absolutely correct

Tre White is not going to be cheap

Just now, whatdrought said:

I love Johnson, I think he can be special.

That being said, I don't think you put your eggs in the basket of a 7th rounder and pass on a good/great player if he's there for the taking. 

I understand your opinion

I really dont think we are putting our eggs in that basket though....we just extended hughes...already have Murphy on a contract.....and Shaq looks like he is playing for a contract

That is three DE's right there not counting Johnson.....he is going to need playing time.  Where does he get it with 3 vets in front of him?

• Haha (+1) 1