Zay Jones’ Dad - an “Interesting” follow

YoloinOhio

Robert Jones? sheesh, if he calls out Bills fans like that, i wonder what he thought of Colts fans the other night.   I don't recall anyone seriously talking crap about Cole Beasley because of a preseason fumble?!?  that is an odd take from dad.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Man, I hope we find more “worthless” players that can place 17th in the nfl in touchdowns.

21st, actually - in receiving. Not even in total TD's. (he's 41st in the league for total TD's scored) And as far as Zay goes, worthless might be harsh, but he hasn't performed at the level of a 2nd round pick, he has consistently killed momentum and the team with drops, and he hasn't done nearly enough to warrant his father acting like he's a big deal. 

Edited by whatdrought

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

21st, actually - in receiving. Not even in total TD's. (he's 41st in the league for total TD's scored) And as far as Zay goes, worthless might be harsh, but he hasn't performed at the level of a 2nd round pick, he has consistently killed momentum and the team with drops, and he hasn't done nearly enough to warrant his father acting like he's a big deal. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTouchdowns

this actually says 16. What am I reading wrong? He is doing really well for a second round pick. In the last three or so years, outside of JuJu and Thomas he is out performing all the other second round picks. Others have done better in their third year, but comparing second year stats, Zay is among the best. 

32 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

As a person in the medical profession...

What percentage of people have adverse reactions to a type of drug / medication?

or is @Doc better suited to answer?  

I'm not making excuses for the Zay incident.  Just looking for information 

There are few, if any, legally prescribed medications that would produce that kind of behavior---although these meds are always blamed when these events happen.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTouchdowns

this actually says 16. What am I reading wrong? He is doing really well for a second round pick. In the last three or so years, outside of JuJu and Thomas he is out performing all the other second round picks. Others have done better in their third year, but comparing second year stats, Zay is among the best. 

Ah- it looks like the difference is how they rank ties- I was looking here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/scoring.htm ( I think your source is better, as that seems like a better way to handle ties.)

That being said, I think you have some solid points and I admit I was being pretty hyperbolic. I don't think he's done all that much to warrant his father's big attitude, but I also don't think parents of players should be running their mouth at all. :P

That being said, Zay is infuriating because he is not nearly as good as he could be, if not for drops and seemingly other mental miscues. 

Edited by whatdrought

Just now, whatdrought said:

Ah- it looks like the difference is how they rank ties- I was looking here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/scoring.htm

That being said, I think you have some solid points and I admit I was being pretty hyperbolic. I don't think he's done all that much to warrant his father's big attitude, but I also don't think parents of players should be running their mouth at all. :P

That being said, Zay is infuriating because he is not nearly as good as he could be, if not for drops and seemingly other mental miscues. 

Agreed. But guys like that, who make mental mistakes, usually also have all the pieces to put it together. I think that if josh Allen starts throwing the ball around, zay can get to the 800/900 yard range. If he doesn’t, we won’t get his next contract. His Dads a nut, he should shut up, but that’s not zays fault. 

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Agreed. But guys like that, who make mental mistakes, usually also have all the pieces to put it together. I think that if josh Allen starts throwing the ball around, zay can get to the 800/900 yard range. If he doesn’t, we won’t get his next contract. His Dads a nut, he should shut up, but that’s not zays fault. 

That's what's so infuriating. He could be much better than he is. Hopefully he does take a step. 

Fair enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s funny. Fans talk so much crap about players and then cry when someone talks crap to them.  Guy is being a dad and protecting his son.  Could he take the high road? Sure but what about all the immature fans, some older than Zay’s dad.  Personally, he’s not talking about me because I’m not a loser twitting at him.  

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I meant that he is the parent of a worthless player... 

His son is top 1% of his profession.  What’s yours doing?

and I’m not even a Zay fan.  I wanted JuJu.  But I’m just so sick of coward fans running their mouths and crying like babies when someone says something back to them.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s funny. Fans talk so much crap about players and then cry when someone talks crap to them.  Guy is being a dad and protecting his son.  Could he take the high road? Sure but what about all the immature fans, some older than Zay’s dad.  Personally, he’s not talking about me because I’m not a loser twitting at him.  

I get your point--but the difference is that the fans are not being paid to perform on the national stage, the players are--and by extension their families should play along to minimize off the field distractions. Do I also wish all fans behaved maturely all the time? Of course.   

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I get your point--but the difference is that the fans are not being paid to perform on the national stage, the players are--and by extension their families should play along to minimize off the field distractions. Do I also wish all fans behaved maturely all the time? Of course.   

And I get your point.  But why is it ok that fans, most of who have jobs and families, can act like complete idiots and players just have to take it?  Personally, I’m in the camp that only say something that you would in person.  

But again, I’m not on twitter talking crap to players and their families so I can’t relate.

7 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

is there a lot of people talking sh** on beasely?.... I forgot about that fumble about 5 minutes after it happened.

Me to!  All I thought was  - wow, great pass and catch. Glad he got the fumble out of his system in a useless pre-season game. 

I feel bad for Zay Jones.  Obviously he doesn't need a distraction like this.  But bottom line is that what his dad says on Twitter has ZERO relevance to what he needs to do to make this team and contribute. 

And for the record, what do you think Josh Allen's parents thought if they were foolish enough to read some of the posts on the Stadium Wall after the Bill's selected their son in 2018?  Talk about BRUTAL.  Or hell just think back to last Friday's game.  If Zay's dad thinks Cole Beasley took crap from the fans for the fumble (which he didn't BTW) what does he make of the obsession on Josh playing Hero ball? 

One bad pass that was called back by penalty has been diagnosed to death with a number of Bill's fans pronouncing it as evidence that Allen has not made any progress from his Green Bay outing.  Me thinks Mr. Jones needs to develop a thicker skin or stay off social media.

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Wait. What? Why? The family didn’t sign a contract. Zay did. It’s crazy they should be considered to have any obligation. This is identical to colts fans thinking luck owed them something. Would it be better? Probably, but that isn’t our prerogative.