"Sports" Or "Activities"

MR8

Things that have a score or a clear winner that is not determined by 3rd parties can be classified as sports. Other things, no matter how difficult they may be in comparison to some sports, are athletic activities. Basically, if it has judges who award points which determine the outcome, it's not a sport. Some things are just games. If one can do the activity reasonably well whilst actively holding a beer it is a game. If one has to put the beer down it can become one of the other two.

Sports:

football, baseball, softball, tennis, hockey, lacrosse, water polo, swimming, golf, racing, track and field, downhill, slalom and cross-country skiing, soccer, archery, shooting, biathlon, bobsled, luge, skeleton, speed skating

Athletic Activities:

skateboarding, snowboarding, mogul skiing, gymnastics, figure skating, diving, cheerleading, ski jumping

Games:

cornhole, darts, poker

I'm not sure/could go either way:

Curling, Bowling  - I'm pretty sure you could hold a beer and do those ok but not as well as you could if you put it down.

Wrestling - there is a score but the points are awarded by the referee.  This is sort of borderline for me. The points are usually pretty clear but not always. Gun to my head, it's a sport.