"Sports" Or "Activities"

MR8

5 minutes ago, The Plastic Cup said:

Without question.

You ignored the rest of my post.... what about competitive eating...

What about a pissing contest where 2 guys bet who can piss the furthest off a bridge?  It's physical and there's money involved... 

1 minute ago, MR8 said:

You ignored the rest of my post.... what about competitive eating...

What about a pissing contest where 2 guys bet who can piss the furthest off a bridge?  It's physical and there's money involved... 

I used to tell my son that he and his buddies should determine who’s going to be captains of their pickup basketball games based on who could piss highest up a tree.  That’s the way dogs would do it.  He just looked at me like I was weird or something.  Imagine that.

28 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Football

Baseball

Basketball 

Tennis

Hockey

Soccer

Golf

Bowling

NASCAR

Ping Pong

Darts

Hunting/Fishing 

Boxing/MMA

Running

Wrestling (here I'm assuming you mean Greco-Roman Wrestling, not pro wrestling.)

Kayaking

Surfing

Biking 

Hiking

Skiing

The bolded ones are the ones I consider a sport. Skiing, Running, and Biking though can be both, all depending on if they're being done competitively. I used to say the same about NASCAR. But the pit crew has to be in tip top shape to fix up the car as fast as they do. And while the driver may not be doing much physical activity during the race itself, in order to withstand the 125° heat in that car, they have to keep themselves in peak physical condition. 

Professional wrestling is not a sport, in that it's not an actual competition. That said, although it's not really my cup of tea, I had a roommate that was really into wrestling, and watching it casually, along with the behind the scenes documentaries where they showed practice, and how they'd plan a match, I gained a new respect for them as athletes.  

Also the constant G force they subject themselves to (especially in Formula 1) is astounding for those prolonged periods.  That is not something a "normal" untrained person could withstand.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Also the constant G force they subject themselves to (especially in Formula 1) is astounding for those prolonged periods.  That is not something a "normal" untrained person could withstand.

So being an astronaut is a sport?  Fighter pilot? Roller Coaster tester?

Edited by MR8

3 minutes ago, MR8 said:

My lord.  Take things a bit too far maybe?  Maybe you missed the first word of the sentence, "Also".  It signifies that there are other contributing factors and the proceeding statement adds to them.  Reading comprehension is tough for some, I get it.  Keep trying though, you'll get there some day.

Edited by Mark80

Just now, Mark80 said:

My lord.  Take things a bit too far maybe?  Maybe you missed the first word of the sentence, "Also".  Reading comprehension is tough for some, I get it.  Keep trying though, you'll get there some day.

So you're taking shots at me personally because I challenged you a bit?  Sounds more like a YOU problem than a ME problem... 

I forgive you ...

14 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

NASCAR involves physical exertion, and skill. They compete as a team (we're including the pit crew here) against another. And it is for entertainment.

Astronauts are not doing it for competition. Fighter pilots are not doing it for entertainment. Roller coaster testers are also not doing for competition. For the record, I'm not even a NASCAR fan, but I have immense respect for what they do and it qualifies as a sport. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

NASCAR involves physical exertion, and skill. They compete as a team (we're including the pit crew here) against another. And it is for entertainment.

Astronauts are not doing it for competition. Fighter pilots are not doing it for entertainment. Roller coaster testers are also not doing for competition. For the record, I'm not even a NASCAR fan, but I have immense respect for what they do and it qualifies as a sport. 

There we go, an intelligent response!  

interesting... so any activity where individual or teams compete for entertainment and has a physical component is a sport then?

That means Log sawing, ax throwing, hell, doing those wonky obstacle courses on reality shows, are all sports? from American Ninja Warrior to Wipe Out to American Gladiators... All sports? 

52 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I used to tell my son that he and his buddies should determine who’s going to be captains of their pickup basketball games based on who could piss highest up a tree.  That’s the way dogs would do it.  He just looked at me like I was weird or something.  Imagine that.

Even in the land of Graybeards/Greybeards, that is weird.?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MR8 said:

There are a lot of things out there that people call sports that I don't agree are sports, they are activities or skill games... lets see where you fall... 

Football - Sport

Baseball - Sport

Basketball - Sport

Tennis - Sport

Hockey - Sport

Soccer - Sport

Golf - Sport

Bowling - Skill Game/Activity

NASCAR - Activity (It's not a sport if I do it on the way to and from work every day, and it's the worst part of my day)

Ping Pong - Skill Game/Activity

Darts - Skill Game/ Activity

Hunting/Fishing - Activity

Boxing/MMA - Sport

Running - Activity

Wrestling - Sport

Kayaking - Activity

Surfing - Activity

Biking - Activity

Hiking - Activity

Skiing - Sport

Feel free to add your own and debate on any of the list above. 

Do you consider your being an idiot a sport or an activity?

• Haha (+1) 1

its all very relative

Football - Sport

Baseball - Sport

Basketball - Sport

Tennis - Sport

Hockey - Sport

Soccer - Sport

Golf - Activity *PGA = sport

Bowling - Activity

NASCAR - Sport

Ping Pong - Sport

Darts - Activity

Hunting/Fishing - Activity

Boxing/MMA - Sport

Running - Activity *competitive = sport

Wrestling - Sport

Kayaking - Activity

Surfing - Activity *compititions = sport

Biking - Activity *competitive = sport

Hiking - Activity

Skiing - Activity *competitive = sport

I generally see sports a a competition versus others in something physical.'

I consider things like golf, skiing, running, cycling, etc as recreation unless involved in competition (and not a local 5k fun run).

I have no respect for bowling.  sorry.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

I ran track in HS, ran distance in HS, College, and I run now... in races... it's an activity.  Have you seen some of the fat mother ***** who go out and run?

Have you seen how heavy some of the major league pitchers are?   I'm sure Met and Yankee fans can name one each.  Yet you called that a sport.    What about Pro Football linemen?    Sumo wrestlers? Weight lifters?

You can take any sport, by your definition, and turn it into an activity.   Because you can ride a bicycle, doesn't mean the guys that ride in the Tour De France are not competing in a sport.

• Like (+1) 1