Tyree Jackson is an ideal practice squad candidate

HOUSE

I'm in the group that believes the Bills need a QB on the PS to lead the scout team and to help throw some balls.

IF that guy is doing a decent job he will also be in the running to be in camp next year.

There is something to be said about continuity but I don't know if that guy is Jackson.

If Jackson doesn't show anything worth keeping on Thursday I'm sure a decent PS QB will shake loose during cuts.

This could be his last chance and I do wish him well.

Prove us doubters wrong Tyree!

• Like (+1) 1

IMO McBean was originally intrigued by his size and raw talent then became just a camp arm when they realized early on he just isn't very good. 

I don't think he goes on the PS, no point to it. Allen and Barkley are entrenched as #1 and #2 for years to come. 

6 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

He deserves nothing.  He needs to earn a spot.

No way he makes the 53.

In games he has not shown he has the potential to grow.  I think the Bills need a practice squad QB if they carry only 2 on the active roster.  They may prefer another team's cut over Jackson.

Just a thought on your statement, how many #3 QBs don’t need everything TJ needs? Imo All #3 QBS are really bad compared to the #1 or the #2 QB, so that’s s given on any team. So why not PS him and get him a QB tutor? 

No no dog in the hunt on my side by the way.

Go Bills!!!

I dont think Jackson will be part of the Bills in anyway after final cuts. I think there will be some borderline 2nd/3rd QB's that will be cut that the Bills can sign to their practice squad to develop for life after Barkley. Can Jackson be like a Nick Mullens after one year on the practice squad? I would say no so why keep him around when there may be another qb out there that might develop into a decent back up. 

Has anyone seen Cardale Jones play for the Chargers? He was very very Tyree-esque as a Bill, but he's improved considerably under Anthony Lynn. So there's the argument to keep Jackson; in time he'll get better. But right now he's done nothing to show he's worth keeping.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

So you think we should make poor roster decisions because another coaching staff did so several years ago? 

You are so certain it’s a bad decision. It’s not a Super Bowl or bust kind of thing here it’s the friggen practice squad. If they think the guy has potential to be better that’s exactly what the PS is for. Just because you don’t like the guy, or your evaluation after watching 3 preseason games says he has zero potential for an NFL career does not mean you’re correct and everyone who doesn’t agree with you is wrong. You keep fixating on the tuel thing and the whole point was other quarterbacks who “have not earned a spot” have played in the league, started games etc etc. not that I want this coaching staff to do anything. It don’t matter to me either way what they do. Just that people shouldn’t get so worked up and hate some kid because he hasn’t looked good in 3 preseason games. The sole purpose of the practice squad is to give players a place to learn and get better and of course use them in emergency situations 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Deserve?  No.  Is he athletic enough and have a strong enough arm to play in the NFL?  Yes.  Does he have enough accuracy to play in the NFL?  Right now? No.  Even with the percieved lack of accuracy Allen had coming out of college.  Allen made NFL throws all over the field in his rookie preseason.  It's a choir for Jackson to complete a pass.  Jackson has to show alot to earn a spot on P.S imo.  Come friday there will be many qbs cut who will be further along in becoming an NFL qb than where Jackson is.

Edited by Mat68

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Has anyone seen Cardale Jones play for the Chargers? He was very very Tyree-esque as a Bill, but he's improved considerably under Anthony Lynn. So there's the argument to keep Jackson; in time he'll get better. But right now he's done nothing to show he's worth keeping.

Isn't he going to be their 3rd stringer again behind Rivers and 'Bills fan favorite' Taylor?

How many years has it been since he came in to the league? 

9 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

You are so certain it’s a bad decision. It’s not a Super Bowl or bust kind of thing here it’s the friggen practice squad. If they think the guy has potential to be better that’s exactly what the PS is for. Just because you don’t like the guy, or your evaluation after watching 3 preseason games says he has zero potential for an NFL career does not mean you’re correct and everyone who doesn’t agree with you is wrong. You keep fixating on the tuel thing and the whole point was other quarterbacks who “have not earned a spot” have played in the league, started games etc etc. not that I want this coaching staff to do anything. It don’t matter to me either way what they do. Just that people shouldn’t get so worked up and hate some kid because he hasn’t looked good in 3 preseason games. The sole purpose of the practice squad is to give players a place to learn and get better and of course use them in emergency situations 

I’m not worked up nor do I hate the kid. The coaching staff will do whatever they want obviously. But I’ve made my opinion on him pretty clear and I’ll just leave it at that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, the skycap said:

And what's Nathan Peterman's excuse?? Let's not forget the passes dropped by Tyree's receivers in the games that could've produced 1st downs. Tyree is a RAW talent with a BIG arm and could benefit from time on PS presuming he has it upstairs like previous poster stated.

Wait, I thought the problem was that it was unfair that some WRs trying to make this team had to have Tyree throwing it to them, now there's a problem that Tyree has bad WRs not catching the balls thrown to them?

There's only so much that can be done, and not all players are going to make it in the league no matter how much training and practice they get. Teams can't give guys 5 years to sit and hang around and try to develop. 

So I think for me it comes down to how important the PS is for getting the first team ready.

By which I mean, if Tyree were on the PS, would it really hurt us?

He clearly isn't NFL ready, and looks worryingly like he has learned little in camp (though I could of course be way off the mark here), but he also does have the physical attributes.

A year in the PS would probably be great for him.

Would it be great for us?