Sign in to follow this  
HOUSE

Tyree Jackson is an ideal practice squad candidate

If the Bills think he has the right stuff between the ears then I agree with the OP

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I feel the hate is coming to Tyree because he left UB early. He is a raw talent and should be added to practice squad as far as I'm concerned.

Imagine, a year from now, Tyree Jackson throwing 80 yard bombs to Laviska Shenault in Training Camp!

2 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

Tyree Jackson isn't a good prospect. 

Being a big UB fan I'd like nothing better than to see Tyree succeed, but it ain't happening this year. The guy really screwed himself leaving school before he was ready. I suppose the Bills could add him to the PS but if a better QB option shakes loose he's gone.

Another guy, where if he went to Eastern Michigan no one would care about him.  Did Carson Wentz or Josh Allen not playing SEC defenses stall their development? 

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

I feel the hate is coming to Tyree because he left UB early. He is a raw talent and should be added to practice squad as far as I'm concerned.

The hate comes from seeing his play for the Bills, not from leaving UB. I mean really, you can see him play right? Besides they're are very few actual UB fans on TBD. And most arrived just last year.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Another guy, where if he went to Eastern Michigan no one would care about him.  Did Carson Wentz or Josh Allen not playing SEC defenses stall their development? 

I don't think he was coached very well at UB. I know his dad had misgivings. But UB was the only D1 offer he got out of high school.

I’m sorry but he’s freakin awful. Terrible.

He is an ideal cut. Nothing else. I’ve seen enough of that kid.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Tight end.

He'd snap in two.

Not sure the Bills even need a practice squad QB.

Based on what we've seen against preseason 3rd stringers, Tyree Jackson is nowhere close to being capable of running an offense.  He won't be active on gamedays.  And in the event we needed a #3 quarterback to actually play, our front office would certainly scan the waiver wire for vets before putting Jackson on the field.

We don't really need to develop another "future" guy.  Both of our current Quarterbacks are young, and should be around for the next several years.  Jackson is obviously not displacing Josh Allen anytime soon.  At worst, Allen will get another 3-4 seasons to prove himself.  Matt Barkley is also only 28, and has developed into a dependable NFL backup.  

McD will make the call.with input from Bean.......I realise that the lack of polish and preparation needs to be overcome.....that was known day 1.  My question is does he have sufficient accuracy to make it in the NFL.  If he does, and training camp should have told McBean, he is practice squad material.  If he is all over with his throws (ala EJ Manuel), then he is not practice squad material.  Pretty simple to me, I just haven't seen him throw enough to know about the accuracy.  YEs, the arm is strong, but is it ACCURATE?

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

As a UB fan it stinks to hear so many people rip the kid.  But i can honestly say he hasn't done enough to earn the practice squad...at least not yet.  He can throw the ball 100mph, we know this, and a few are on target,  but he's not seeing the field and making reads fast enough.   And when he does the ball has not been accurate the majority of the time.  If he gets the final preseason game, I assume that will make or break his future with the club.

The NFL personnel experts league-wide who decided not to draft Tyree were spot on.   

Edited by zow2

First he has to survive Thirsday night.  Good luck with that.

The goal for your developmental practice squad QB is to one day be a reliable backup. A safe, steady, accurate QB that can hold the team stable for a half or a couple games, not a boom or bust candidate. There will be plenty of safe options after cut day. 

Improving Josh Allen’s accuracy or just developing into a less of a gunslinger is a tough task. Tyree Jackson is exponentially more raw and inaccurate. 

29 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Not sure the Bills even need a practice squad QB.

Based on what we've seen against preseason 3rd stringers, Tyree Jackson is nowhere close to being capable of running an offense.  He won't be active on gamedays.  And in the event we needed a #3 quarterback to actually play, our front office would certainly scan the waiver wire for vets before putting Jackson on the field.

We don't really need to develop another "future" guy.  Both of our current Quarterbacks are young, and should be around for the next several years.  Jackson is obviously not displacing Josh Allen anytime soon.  At worst, Allen will get another 3-4 seasons to prove himself.  Matt Barkley is also only 28, and has developed into a dependable NFL backup.  

Don’t all teams have a PS QB to run the scout team against the starting D in practice?

2 hours ago, MikeSpeed said:

I'd be happy to see him on the PS if he's willing to switch to TE. He has zero QB potential in my opinion.

Where do you see his potential as a TE?  What has he shown you?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Where do you see his potential as a TE?  What has he shown you?

I don't see that either, but his physical traits would lend well to being a TE. If you're going to waste a PS spot, at least give the guy a opportunity to become something in the NFL. He sure doesn't seem to have it as a QB.

See Dawson Knox...

Edited by MikeSpeed

I think he should be signed up to the NFL's Reverse International Player Pathway and ship him off to England to play something for a few years..... Cricket?

I suppose it comes down to how much he has shown in practice and if he can show better in 2 days.  The 3rd string QB on the ps needs to be able to run the scout team well enough to give the defense a good look.  There is a huge question as to if he could do that well enough to justify the ps spot.  I think the Bills sunk $75k in his UDFA bonus which is relativley big and shows how much they wanted to work with him.

Posted (edited)

Some of you guys are too hard and have zero patience. 

There is literally zero harm in putting him on the practice squad, a year of film study with Barkley and Allen and seeing how they diagnose coverages and blitzes etc etc along with the coaches can go a long way. Not to mention he will constantly see how a top ranked defense works in practice. 

Seriously what did you expect? A UDFA quarterback from a small school sucks against NFL preseason defenses, who is shocked by this? How many drafted quarterbacks have looked just as bad? We started, I repeat STARTED Jeff Teul, and tyree is too trash to hit the practice squad? His peak is backup quarterback in years 2 or 3. The chances are almost nothing he can ever be a starter, but if he’s a viable backup with a similar skill set to the starter he does have some value. It’s not like they can’t just cut him from the practice squad at any time, it’s also not a given there’s a better option available with the depth the team now has after cuts. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1

Last season at this time we had ppl saying Peterman was going to lead us to the playoffs. How did Josh look at the same time? Bengals game ring a bell? Clearly preseason doesn’t matter AT ALL.  

I agree Jackson looks bad, but it’s a huge jump from the MAC to even 3rd string NFL.  We have an extra spot on the PS this year for Wade anyway. 

Maybe if someone has a better option I’m all ears. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mannc said:

What did you expect from him?  Did you expect an NFL-ready prospect?  Would you really “rule him out” based on these preseason games?  

Which backup ( 3rd and 4th string) QBs on the teams the Bills played so far this preseason looked worse?

I think it's a nice story getting the UB guy, and there's something to be said for his ability to match Allen physically, but he's worse than raw.  As others have said, he's not even good enough to give the D good reps from the practice squad.   

There will be better young prospects available after the cuts.

Edited by BobChalmers

10 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Some of you guys are too hard and have zero patience. 

There is literally zero harm in putting him on the practice squad, a year of film study with Barkley and Allen and seeing how they diagnose coverages and blitzes etc etc along with the coaches can go a long way. Not to mention he will constantly see how a top ranked defense works in practice. 

Seriously what did you expect? A UDFA quarterback from a small school sucks against NFL preseason defenses, who is shocked by this? How many drafted quarterbacks have looked just as bad? We started, I repeat STARTED Jeff Teul, and tyree is too trash to hit the practice squad? His peak is backup quarterback in years 2 or 3. The chances are almost nothing he can ever be a starter, but if he’s a viable backup with a similar skill set to the starter he does have some value. It’s not like they can’t just cut him from the practice squad at any time, it’s also not a given there’s a better option available with the depth the team now has after cuts. 

Tuel has absolutely nothing to do with Tyree or this conversation.

The reality is that Tyree has done nothing to earn himself a spot on the PS. 

This isn't the D league---that was Div 1 football...which he opted out of, laughably thinking he was too good for that after last season.

Why waste any spot on this guy...so he you can "develop" him into someone else's 3rd QB some day?

23 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

I don't see that either, but his physical traits would lend well to being a TE. If you're going to waste a PS spot, at least give the guy a opportunity to become something in the NFL. He sure doesn't seem to have it as a QB.

See Dawson Knox...

He's never played TE.  Why would you 'waste' a PS spot. Dawson Knox has played TE, was drafted as aTE.