Tyree Jackson is an ideal practice squad candidate

7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Where do you see his potential as a TE?  What has he shown you?

I don't see that either, but his physical traits would lend well to being a TE. If you're going to waste a PS spot, at least give the guy a opportunity to become something in the NFL. He sure doesn't seem to have it as a QB.

See Dawson Knox...

Edited by MikeSpeed

I suppose it comes down to how much he has shown in practice and if he can show better in 2 days.  The 3rd string QB on the ps needs to be able to run the scout team well enough to give the defense a good look.  There is a huge question as to if he could do that well enough to justify the ps spot.  I think the Bills sunk $75k in his UDFA bonus which is relativley big and shows how much they wanted to work with him.

Some of you guys are too hard and have zero patience. 

There is literally zero harm in putting him on the practice squad, a year of film study with Barkley and Allen and seeing how they diagnose coverages and blitzes etc etc along with the coaches can go a long way. Not to mention he will constantly see how a top ranked defense works in practice. 

Seriously what did you expect? A UDFA quarterback from a small school sucks against NFL preseason defenses, who is shocked by this? How many drafted quarterbacks have looked just as bad? We started, I repeat STARTED Jeff Teul, and tyree is too trash to hit the practice squad? His peak is backup quarterback in years 2 or 3. The chances are almost nothing he can ever be a starter, but if he’s a viable backup with a similar skill set to the starter he does have some value. It’s not like they can’t just cut him from the practice squad at any time, it’s also not a given there’s a better option available with the depth the team now has after cuts. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1

Last season at this time we had ppl saying Peterman was going to lead us to the playoffs. How did Josh look at the same time? Bengals game ring a bell? Clearly preseason doesn’t matter AT ALL.  

I agree Jackson looks bad, but it’s a huge jump from the MAC to even 3rd string NFL.  We have an extra spot on the PS this year for Wade anyway. 

Maybe if someone has a better option I’m all ears. 

2 hours ago, mannc said:

What did you expect from him?  Did you expect an NFL-ready prospect?  Would you really “rule him out” based on these preseason games?  

Which backup ( 3rd and 4th string) QBs on the teams the Bills played so far this preseason looked worse?

I think it's a nice story getting the UB guy, and there's something to be said for his ability to match Allen physically, but he's worse than raw.  As others have said, he's not even good enough to give the D good reps from the practice squad.   

There will be better young prospects available after the cuts.

Edited by BobChalmers

10 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Some of you guys are too hard and have zero patience. 

There is literally zero harm in putting him on the practice squad, a year of film study with Barkley and Allen and seeing how they diagnose coverages and blitzes etc etc along with the coaches can go a long way. Not to mention he will constantly see how a top ranked defense works in practice. 

Seriously what did you expect? A UDFA quarterback from a small school sucks against NFL preseason defenses, who is shocked by this? How many drafted quarterbacks have looked just as bad? We started, I repeat STARTED Jeff Teul, and tyree is too trash to hit the practice squad? His peak is backup quarterback in years 2 or 3. The chances are almost nothing he can ever be a starter, but if he’s a viable backup with a similar skill set to the starter he does have some value. It’s not like they can’t just cut him from the practice squad at any time, it’s also not a given there’s a better option available with the depth the team now has after cuts. 

Tuel has absolutely nothing to do with Tyree or this conversation.

The reality is that Tyree has done nothing to earn himself a spot on the PS. 

This isn't the D league---that was Div 1 football...which he opted out of, laughably thinking he was too good for that after last season.

Why waste any spot on this guy...so he you can "develop" him into someone else's 3rd QB some day?

23 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

I don't see that either, but his physical traits would lend well to being a TE. If you're going to waste a PS spot, at least give the guy a opportunity to become something in the NFL. He sure doesn't seem to have it as a QB.

See Dawson Knox...

He's never played TE.  Why would you 'waste' a PS spot. Dawson Knox has played TE, was drafted as aTE.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Tuel has absolutely nothing to do with Tyree or this conversation.

The reality is that Tyree has done nothing to earn himself a spot on the PS. 

Tuel almost started game one of the season as an UDFA. And started a game later on, was on practice squads. Seems pretty relatable to me. Quick FYI, most quarterbacks who end up on practice squads........... don’t actually do or show much in preseason to earn a spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I am not seeing an improvement from the beginning of camp. He looks the same every week.

And what's Nathan Peterman's excuse?? Let's not forget the passes dropped by Tyree's receivers in the games that could've produced 1st downs. Tyree is a RAW talent with a BIG arm and could benefit from time on PS presuming he has it upstairs like previous poster stated.

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Tuel almost started game one of the season as an UDFA. And started a game later on, was on practice squads. Seems pretty relatable to me. Quick FYI, most quarterbacks who end up on practice squads........... don’t actually do or show much in preseason to earn a spot. 

So you think we should make poor roster decisions because another coaching staff did so several years ago? 

Chalk me up as one who doesn't get the Tyree love.   Big arms are a dime a dozen.  Big heads (i.e., the ability to see the field, recognize coverages) are an invaluable commodity.   

I don't see a big head on Tyree's shoulders and don't see the potential for him to grow one... 

(I wonder how Jayson Botterill would have done as a QB)

You do know that you are actually making my point. My point is I would not waste ANY spot because I do not think he is an NFL QB. My intention of saying convert him to TE, was if you are going to put him on the PS it shouldn't be as a QB. 

Many athletic guys that couldn't do their preferred position or sport have been able to make the transition to TE. I'm not saying he can play the position, just that if you're going to PS him it shouldn't be as QB, but maybe as TE.

Whoa that was painful.

He's the type of player that if he develops, you are looking at real potential value.  Yes, the chances of him developing into anything are small, but wouldn't you rather hold that spot on the PS for a year and see where things go?

Just now, berg1029 said:

He's the type of player that if he develops, you are looking at real potential value.  Yes, the chances of him developing into anything are small, but wouldn't you rather hold that spot on the PS for a year and see where things go?

I'm still holding out for a super model to marry me.   But I stopped holding my breath a long time ago (Damn, my fist is getting pretty sore, though)....