Tyree Jackson is an ideal practice squad candidate

HOUSE

Image result for tyree jackson

Spectrum News

The former UB quarterback deserves a year to sit and learn

By grif Aug 26, 2019, 1:00pm EDT

Following the 2019 NFL Draft and post-undrafted free-agent signing period, yours truly declared that former University at Buffalo quarterback Tyree Jackson was one of four UDFAs with the best chance to make the Buffalo Bills’ roster—either due to positional need or ability. In said article, I wrote that, despite Jackson’s lack of polish at the position, he was physically similar to Josh Allen and deserved to be developed as the team’s third quarterback. At the time, I think most fans of the team would have agreed with me. However, with three straight “subpar” preseason outings, many have all but given up on the young man’s development and aren’t even willing to sign him to the team’s practice squad. I’m here to tell them that they’re wrong.

If it seems like Jackson's overwhelmed to start his pro career, that was a completely foreseen development. Coming out of a smaller college like UB, Jackson was not afforded the same type of development and adversity offered to similar peers like Missouri’s Drew Lock or Duke’s Daniel Jones. UB Head Coach Lance Leipold runs an aggressive yet simplistic passing attack that is designed to compete in the MAC conference not, say, the SEC. That level of competition also cuts both ways—MAC defenses don’t nearly reach the same level of complexity of the Power 5 conferences, let alone the NFL, leaving Jackson unprepared and unable to diagnose more complex coverages.

The fact that the former junior was a developmental prospect at best was not a secret in the run up to the draft. Scouting reports of Jackson acknowledged that he was a major work-in-progress, of which patience would be required. NFL.com’s scouting report of Jackson carried a quote from a scout who described Jackson as, “a project, but he can move a little bit and his arm is really, really good. He’s a draft and develop guy.” TheDraftNetwork.com said of Jackson that, “you like the highlight reel, but the full game tape needs a lot of correcting and a lot more consistency.”

Let’s now talk about the practice or “development” that Jackson has received since joining the Bills. In an NFL training camp

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/8/26/20832707/opinion-tyree-jackson-is-an-ideal-practice-squad-candidate

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

He deserves nothing.  He needs to earn a spot.

No way he makes the 53.

In games he has not shown he has the potential to grow.  I think the Bills need a practice squad QB if they carry only 2 on the active roster.  They may prefer another team's cut over Jackson.

I agree with the article.  He’s very rough, but he has tools you can work with and he’s thrown some really nice balls, like on Ray-Ray’s double catch.  We’re probably talking about a practice squad QB, not someone who will be on the 53.  I don’t understand the hatred for this kid.  What did people expect?

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

He deserves nothing.  He needs to earn a spot.

No way he makes the 53.

Did you even read the article?  The author is not saying Jackson should be on the 53. Or that he’s entitled to anything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have mixed feelings.  Obvioulsy I’d like to see the UB kid make good, but in the limited # of snaps he’s had, his play has been ‘disappointing’.

He has thrown a couple of good passes that were on target, but dropped.  You have to like his physical attributes.

I’ll hold off on ruling him out until after Thursday nite.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Senator said:

I have mixed feelings.  Obvioulsy I’d like to see the UB kid make good, but in the limited # of snaps he’s had, his play has been ‘disappointing’.

He has thrown a couple of good passes that were on target, but dropped.  You have to like his physical attributes.

I’ll hold off on ruling him out until after Thursday nite.

What did you expect from him?  Did you expect an NFL-ready prospect?  Would you really “rule him out” based on these preseason games?  

1 hour ago, mannc said:

What did you expect from him?  Did you expect an NFL-ready prospect?  Would you really “rule him out” based on these preseason games?  

He has played a lot in preseason against 3rd stringers. He needs to have a much better game this week.

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

I agree with the article.  He’s very rough, but he has tools you can work with and he’s thrown some really nice balls, like on Ray-Ray’s double catch.  We’re probably talking about a practice squad QB, not someone who will be on the 53.  I don’t the hatred for this kid.  What did people expect?

We have gone through so many bad QB's that I think it can be said that Bills fans could be considered experts when evaluating QB's. He has very poor field vision, accuracy, he looks confused out there and I doubt they are ever able to run a no huddle offense with him at QB. When did it become hatred to just point out a players weaknesses?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m pretty sure I said I wouldn’t rule him out.  I’d like to see him make the PS, but come on, he’s gotta show us something to hang our hopes on.

I expect he’ll see considerable playing time Thursday nite.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We have gone through so many bad QB's that I think it can be said that Bills fans could be considered experts when evaluating QB's. He has very poor field vision, accuracy, he looks confused out there and I doubt they are ever able to run a no huddle offense with him at QB. When did it become hatred to just point out a players weaknesses?

I am not seeing an improvement from the beginning of camp. He looks the same every week.

Edited by HOUSE