Good reason to not let your kids play football

Bubba Gump

10 hours ago, TigerJ said:

My son messed up his knees doing high school wrestling.  If we try to insulate our kids from any risk of long term injury, my suspicion is they will end up paying a price in other ways that may be even greater.

Grade A post. That sport taught me to be a man

10 hours ago, mannc said:

I don’t care about your ignore list, but I apologize for getting personal.  

Ok, thank you for that. I honestly had no idea it was a banned football practice procedure. So now I can understand why my tweet was removed. You are a good person, and I am too sorry that I posted that now that I know. I am totally clueless when it comes to things like that. I don't even have any nephews or nieces since I am an only child; or even friends with kids, as I am a loner, believe it or not. I will strive to become more aware of those things.

21 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Ok, thank you for that. I honestly had no idea it was a banned football practice procedure. So now I can understand why my tweet was removed. You are a good person, and I am too sorry that I posted that now that I know. I am totally clueless when it comes to things like that. I don't even have any nephews or nieces since I am an only child; or even friends with kids, as I am a loner, believe it or not. I will strive to become more aware of those things.

All good, Dunkirk.  I'm definitely not against kids (or anyone else) playing football, but I think we (parents, coaches, society) owe it to those players to make the game as safe as possible, without fundamentally changing the nature of the sport.  Drills like the one depicted are downright stupid and don't teach kids anything worthwhile.  It's a shame that some coaches in charge of youth football still haven't gotten the message.  The NFL and NCAA have cracked down on unnecessary violence--during games and  in practices--and it hasn't hurt the popularity of the sport, at least from a spectator standpoint.      

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Youth football is completely pointless. Play 7 on 7 and flag and then just play in high school.  

It will be hard for the next generation of Manning's and Brady's if they aren't throwing with equipment on till high school

Top HS QBs are starting as 8th graders and 9th graders on varsity. Because they were playing 8-10 years already

Lineman need it too

2 hours ago, mannc said:

All good, Dunkirk.  I'm definitely not against kids (or anyone else) playing football, but I think we (parents, coaches, society) owe it to those players to make the game as safe as possible, without fundamentally changing the nature of the sport.  Drills like the one depicted are downright stupid and don't teach kids anything worthwhile.  It's a shame that some coaches in charge of youth football still haven't gotten the message.  The NFL and NCAA have cracked down on unnecessary violence--during games and  in practices--and it hasn't hurt the popularity of the sport, at least from a spectator standpoint.      

100% agreed. Concussions, CTE, brain injuries, and long-term pain by the players is bad. I don't know what the answer is for the future of the sport. As I said, you are a good person, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts.