Good reason to not let your kids play football

Bubba Gump

17 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I gave in and let my kid play this year, he has been asking since he was 5.   I made sure I could coach as I wanted to be as close to the field as possible.

With that said, the studies out there for public consumption say Soccer, Lacrosse, Gymnastics, and Wrestling all have comparable head injury rates.  

It is hard to protect your kids if they play any kind of contact sport - just the way it is. 

You can't wrap them in bubble wrap, but folks can approach it sensibly. Let the kids play the contact sports if they want, and if your kid gets a concussion even HS level staff are better about following protocols to allow for recovery. That being said, if they get a second one I would not fault a parent for pulling their kid and directing them away from contact sports.

Kids have lots of energy and sports are a great way to keep them out of trouble and giving that energy an outlet so I would still make sure they were involved in something - just a sport with minimal contact - there are options.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WideNine said:

It is hard to protect your kids if they play any kind of contact sport - just the way it is. 

You can't wrap them in bubble wrap, but folks can approach it sensibly. Let the kids play the contact sports if they want, and if your kid gets a concussion even HS level staff are better about following protocols to allow for recovery. That being said, if they get a second one I would not fault a parent for pulling their kid and directing them away from contact sports.

Kids have lots of energy and sports are a great way to keep them out of trouble and giving that energy an outlet so I would still make sure they were involved in something - just a sport with minimal contact - there are options.

This is incredibly well put.  The benefits my kids get from being a part of a team outweigh the risks right now.  

• Like (+1) 1

So kids who get concussed but did not grow up to make the NFL dont matter?

On 8/27/2019 at 12:09 AM, Nextmanup said:

It might take another 30 years, but society will shift so that it is hard to find parents who are willing to let their children do this stuff.

And much more significantly, insurance companies may cease insuring schools so that they are unable to compete in football leagues.

When these things happen, the game will start to die.

This is already happening.  Teams where I live have a hard time getting kids to play.

Youth Football numbers are way down from even 5 years ago. Way less kids come out each year.

I live in a town of 160,000, and our football program also includes kids of a neighboring town about the same size. We have 4 teams for 8th grade, and 2 teams each for 6th & 7th. For 4th & 5th grade, they had to combine both age groups to even field 1 team. When my 8th grader started playing back in 1st grade, we had 13 in-house teams alone, only 7 years ago.

Football is unique from other team sports. No other sport provides the life lessons of teamwork, camaraderie, hard work, and discipline in the same way. This will stay with the kids long after their football days are over.

8 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Where did my tweet go? It was there last night.

I don’t know where the Fournette video went, but it was despicable, and the coach who put six or seven year old kids in a drill like that should have been arrested.  The fact that you posted it (and apparently enjoyed it) would earn you a ban if this was my forum.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:56 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

Big hit but it looked clean really.

Yes, “clean” by adult football standards. I don’t want my little kids head bouncing off the turf like that. Are you all kidding? My younger son’s best friend got a concussion when his head bounced off artificial turf as a HS freshman. He was never the same, and he’s gone now. That night still haunts me.  (NOT picking on you personally!)

We didn’t let our kids play until high school. They played every other sport, which actually made them better at football. I started playing around 10 years old. I was a head banger, loved to lead with the helmet. I found my giant noggin was a weapon that could stun others, but maybe I was too dim to notice any difference to me. Never had a concussion in football (but maybe one or two in college rugby). 

Our kids stayed busy in sports 12 months/year in Florida and being held back didn’t hurt. One was POY, 1st team all area and honorable mention all state.....after only starting as a HS freshman and missing a year to torn ACL/MCL. Could have played football or soccer in college, but I’m thrilled he decided to put more focus on his future. 

Health first. 

My son messed up his knees doing high school wrestling.  If we try to insulate our kids from any risk of long term injury, my suspicion is they will end up paying a price in other ways that may be even greater.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/27/2019 at 1:58 PM, Mat68 said:

I dont see what benefit my 12 or 13 year old son gains from playing varsity.  Even if he is a specimen. 

Playing other sports without the same level of contact will improve his body and mind in other areas that makes up for the percieved deficits in nuance. 

If they are in the 95 percentile in athletic ability to gain collegiate recognition it doesnt matter if they start in pads at 5, 10, or 14.

With all due respect to others, I’m 100% in your camp. My sons started in the weight room to make them better in every sport. Every coach from every sport said they had to work at it all year to keep up with the other kids. Total BS! The best athletes will be begged for. 

We waited until HS to allow football, and I’m glad we did. Our younger son only played 3 years of HS football (he missed a year with torn ACL/MCL from spring ball) and had college scholarship options available to him. He also could have played college soccer, despite taking a few years off for other sports. Not a Bo Jackson by any means, but the same principle. Some people are just better athletes, and pick things up quickly. 

PS - kids that young should never play on artificial turf. That like bouncing your head in a  parking lot. WAY too young for those little brains! 

Edited by Augie

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I have taken and dished out hits like that ALL the time when I was younger.

I still have all my faculties at age 47.

Nothing to see here.

Grow a freaking pair already.

And I’m happy for you. Thrilled even! You are one of the lucky ones, like myself.  Strangely large heads in my family which led to two C-sections.  Oops! 

We have to wear the helmets they dig out from the back room when we white water raft. You can tell us in the picture, we have the different colored helmets! 

They told my son his head was “deceptively large” when trying to find a football helmet as a HS freshman. A family joke to this day! 

I remember leading with my helmet growing up, because I knew I had an advantage. I remember seeing that dazed look in kids eyes at times. I feel bad about it now! I was never a great football player, but I was not shy about slamming your helmet! I knew I could rock kids. No need for that at any age, especially a young age. Whether it’s helmet to helmet, or helmet off the rock hard turf, it’s BAD for anyone, especially for young brains. 

38 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don’t know where the Fournette video went, but it was despicable, and the coach who put six or seven year old kids in a drill like that should have been arrested.  The fact that you posted it (and apparently enjoyed it) would earn you a ban if this was my forum.

I am not sure I understand. It was a clean hit. The other video I posted here also featured young kids. Why is the video bad?

I think you are a little too quick to judge.

Edited by from_dunkirk

I never played sports as a kid.  My parents wanted me to concentrate of school work.  I don't think that was necessarily the right choice, but here I am.  i do seem to be blessed with a very thick skull LOL. A couple years ago I stepped on the edge of a sidewalk.  The driveway that was next to it was three inches lower and I went face down on the concrete sidewalk - hard.  I never passed out. I had a big goose egg on my forehead, but had no headaches and no symptoms of any kind.  At the urging of people who knew what happened, I went to the emergency room where they did a CT scan of my head.  Nothing.  

On 8/26/2019 at 11:09 PM, Nextmanup said:

It might take another 30 years, but society will shift so that it is hard to find parents who are willing to let their children do this stuff.

And much more significantly, insurance companies may cease insuring schools so that they are unable to compete in football leagues.

When these things happen, the game will start to die.

The game's been dying for 20 years.

24 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

I am not sure I understand. It was a clean hit. The other video I posted here also featured young kids. Why is the video bad?

I think you are missing the point entirely. It WAS a clean hit by football standards, but is it a hit and a head bounce off the turf a 6-7 year old brain should sustain? My answer is HELL NO! The humans brain, especially those of young children, is very fragile, and any trauma can lead to a lifetime of trouble. I’ve seen this up close and personal. ZERO reason to take that risk at that age.

Just my opinion, but I’m not backing down. Nothing is gained by banging the brain early.   

32 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

The video posted by Bubba Gump showed kids playing in an actual game situation. The hit was brutal but clean.  Nevertheless, it was not the kind of hit I would want my six-year old son to take.

The Fournette video was different.  It showed six-year old kids in an “Oklahoma” drill, designed to encourage head-on collisions, presumably to “toughen up” the kids, who appeared to be no more than six years old.  (Drills like this are no longer allowed in NFL training camps.)  The hit was dirty and the six-year old victim had to crawl to the sideline.  The coach who allowed it should never be allowed to coach again.  It was disgusting, and so are you for applauding and promoting it.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

The video posted by Bubba Gump showed kids playing in an actual game situation. The hit was brutal but clean.  Nevertheless, it was not the kind of hit I would want my six-year old son to take.

The Fournette video was different.  It showed six-year old kids in an “Oklahoma” drill, designed to encourage head-on collisions, presumably to “toughen up” the kids, who appeared to be no more than six years old.  (Drills like this are no longer allowed in NFL training camps.)  The hit was dirty and the six-year old victim had to crawl to the sideline.  The coach who allowed it should never be allowed to coach again.  It was disgusting, and so are you for applauding and promoting it.

Again, you are quick to judge. You called me disgusting without cause. I had no idea about the ins and outs of practices and what is banned. I have never played football. To me it was just another football video of young kids learning the sport early. I do not have kids. No harm was meant, yet you attack me personally.

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

So apologize to me, or welcome to my ignore list.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I think you are missing the point entirely. It WAS a clean hit by football standards, but is it a hit and a head bounce off the turf a 6-7 year old brain should sustain? My answer is HELL NO! The humans brain, especially those of young children, is very fragile, and any trauma can lead to a lifetime of trouble. I’ve seen this up close and personal. ZERO reason to take that risk at that age.

Just my opinion, but I’m not backing down. Nothing is gained by banging the brain early.   

Good point. I did not realize that. I do not have kids, so I was unaware of that.

Edited by from_dunkirk

29 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Again, you are quick to judge. You called me disgusting without cause. I had no idea about the ins and outs of practices and what is banned. I have never played football. To me it was just another football video of young kids learning the sport early. I do not have kids. No harm was meant, yet you attack me personally.

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

So apologize to me, or welcome to my ignore list.

I don’t care about your ignore list, but I apologize for getting personal.  

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

Youth football participants has decreased 17.4% since 2011 for kids aged 6-12.  The number of high school football players has gone down 5% over that same time period.  Some infuriating survey found 78% of adults believe kids shouldn't play tackle football before age 14.  I'm just happy I'm old enough that I've been able to enjoy the NFL as long as I have and will continue to for the next 20 years before it resembles two hand touch with a diluted player field.