Good reason to not let your kids play football

Bubba Gump

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was giving an example of you talking about how violent/rough the girls soccer game was...because I witnessed it for years in basketball.  Running fast with not great body control equals violent hits.

that's because b****s be crazy 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was giving an example of you talking about how violent/rough the girls soccer game was...because I witnessed it for years in basketball.  Running fast with not great body control equals violent hits.

whack!

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I gave in and let my kid play this year, he has been asking since he was 5.   I made sure I could coach as I wanted to be as close to the field as possible.

With that said, the studies out there for public consumption say Soccer, Lacrosse, Gymnastics, and Wrestling all have comparable head injury rates.  

Professional wrestling maybe.  You’re telling me that former soccer players, lacrosse players and gymnasts (!?!) are suffering from CTE at the same rate as former football players??

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The scariest thing I saw was two girls jumping on a loose ball.  Both went head first and both hit their foreheads at full diving speed.  So much blood....so much.

why do i have the feeling you liked it?

10 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Professional wrestling maybe.  You’re telling me that former soccer players, lacrosse players and gymnasts (!?!) are suffering from CTE at the same rate as former football players??

No.  I am telling you the documented head injuries for kids who participate in these sports at an amateur level are similar.   CTE is different than a head injury.  However, plenty of research shows the likelihood of a Hockey Player developing CTE is similar to a football player considering the force of hits in those sports.   I dont see a lot of outrage for amateur hockey players.   The bottom line is football is a more popular sport and more likely to gain attention which is where the outrage comes from. 

Head injuries, which again are not CTE, are similar in Soccer, Lacrosse, and Gymnastics due to the likelihood of contact to the head.

1 hour ago, teef said:

in college we went to a girls soccer game to see our friend play.  two girls were in a full on sprint, got tangled up, and absolutely destroyed themselves.  it's one on the hardest i've seen people without pads hit the ground.  it was violent.

They were doing it wrong.  Learn from the pro players:

Image result for worst soccer flop gif

• Haha (+1) 1

I've coached youth football for the past 8 years. Those kids are about 6 years old, and that was a clean tackle. Hard hits are very rare at that young age due to their speed & size, but there's always a savage like that in the league who hits hard from day 1. Those type of kids can be hard to reign in & teach proper technique, or they're dangerous, but it looks like the coaches did a good job in that.

When you know you're facing a kid like that on Defense, you have to be careful of who you let run the ball for safety reasons. It has to be your faster, more aggressive kids who will be able to avoid the big hit. That RB was basically a tackling dummy on that play, but still was probably ok after the hit.

As a parent who had a son that played pop warner......I coached pop warner.....etc

What I learned eventually is that parents get way to carried away with sports before high school.....let the kids play if they WANT to play.....be nice to the other parents.....dont show up drunk at practice and games.....dont fight with parent of other teams

My son loved it......he went on to play varsity as a freshmen in high school...then he went onto scholarship offers before his senior year......tore his ACL BEFORE his senior year....but still loved  the game so he moved to Oregon and continued to play semi pro ball...they just won 2 consecutive championships there and he starts at linebacker there and is a team captain

MANY kids that play youth sports do not go on to play high school sports......its just a fact....so make sure they are enjoying the whole experience and understand that NOT playing youth sports doesnt mean they wont go on to productive high school players and possibly beyond.   An academic scholarship will do just as much if not more then a athletic one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

As a parent who had a son that played pop warner......I coached pop warner.....etc

What I learned eventually is that parents get way to carried away with sports before high school.....let the kids play if they WANT to play.....be nice to the other parents.....dont show up drunk at practice and games.....dont fight with parent of other teams

My son loved it......he went on to play varsity as a freshmen in high school...then he went onto scholarship offers before his senior year......tore his ACL BEFORE his senior year....but still loved  the game so he moved to Oregon and continued to play semi pro ball...they just won 2 consecutive championships there and he starts at linebacker there and is a team captain

MANY kids that play youth sports do not go on to play high school sports......its just a fact....so make sure they are enjoying the whole experience and understand that NOT playing youth sports doesnt mean they wont go on to productive high school players and possibly beyond.   An academic scholarship will do just as much if not more then a athletic one.

The parents are RIDICULOUS at some of the practices and games. They try to tell the coaches what positions and when their child should be playing. Making a fool out of themselves when we have road games over different things with the opposing team's parents. It's unreal. I volunteer to hold the chains or down marker most weeks just so I can be down on the field at my youngest son's youth league games. One of the parents was getting pissed off at the officiating. He proceeds to leap the fence and walk onto the field cursing at the ref in question. I grabbed him by the back of his collar to keep him from walking onto it, told him to get off of the field, and the guy took a swing at me. He missed of course and some of the league officials that were there kind of took him down after that. Needless to say he is never allowed back at his son's games now.