Your unpopular ideas

Virgil

3 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Hmm... you may have a point.

I also don't think Marv was a bad coach.  I think he was a great coach.  His style got them to four Super Bowls.  I do think it bit him in the ass in the first one, but overall, I think we simply lost to better teams.

2 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not.... but

- I HATE when people say Buffalo is "upstate New York." Having moved out of Buffalo, I hear it very frequently and my response is always, "Well, we're not upstate.. we're Western New York."

I guess realistically upstate encompasses WNY

Upstate is technically anything outside NYC which is downstate

Despite what @Gugny and others might tell you, baseball is a boring sport, good for nothing more than background noise.

As my son said after his final season of baseball “half the people are standing around, and the other half are sitting.”  So true! He knew that at the ripe old age of 9, and moved on to “real sports”.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/26/2019 at 10:42 PM, Virgil said:

This is both random and probably stupid, but I was reading some articles today and found myself in the minority of what was being talked about.  It made me think of other things like.  So, for fun, what are some things that you feel in the minority about regarding the NFL?  Here are mine:

-The owners deserve whatever money share they want.  I know these guys are billionaires, but they still put the money out and created the league.  While people pay to see the players, none of its possible without that initial large investment so they deserve the biggest share.  If I were to open a business and my employees wanted more of the profits than I got because of their customer service, I’d think they were nuts. 

-It’s okay for the Colts fans to want season ticket refunds.  For starters, they are total asshats for booing Luck.  However, people bought a product based off an expectation.  Season tickets sales are typically higher for competitive teams unless you’re a stupid Bills fan.  The Colts just became a long shot to make the playoffs and thus, the product changed.  Does that not merit a refund?

-FF leagues that don’t feature the QB as the highest scoring position are dumb.  Name an NFL team that is a perennial winner without a quality QB?  I see these cheat sheets that have  QBs going in the 3rd round or auction values of $20 vs RB’s of $60.  Makes no sense to me. 

-Shady isn’t “done”.  But he’s no longer a top 15 back.  If he and singletary had the same carries this season, I don’t think the output would be different. Shady doesn’t make guys miss like before and just isn’t a difference maker.  I think a top 5 RB could get 1500 yards in this new offense.   Shady takes what he gets now. 

-Steve Tasker isn’t a hall of famer.  I loved the guy, but unless you are giving him credit for being one of the first players to make special teams roles seem important, he never broke the field.  I’m sorry, but I don’t get it. And honestly,  I’m not sold on Andre Reed except for the fact that he did it for so long.  He never really had eye popping seasons.  One year over 1300 yards.  

I’m sure there’s more, but it’s all I have right now.  I shall brace for impact. 

Definitely going to agree with the first two, Virgil. I can’t stand when people say, “the owner of that company is so greedy, he should pay the workers as much as himself!” Why? If he invested tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of his own money, or in this case millions of billions, he’s entitled to keep as much as he wants. Everybody has a value, but the owners is the highest because he invested the money to begin with.

And yes, colts fans should be entitled to a refund because the product they paid for isn’t going to be what they get

Edited by CLTbills

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I also don't think Marv was a bad coach.  I think he was a great coach.  His style got them to four Super Bowls.  I do think it bit him in the ass in the first one, but overall, I think we simply lost to better teams.

Yup, that's how I see it too.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Marv was good at keeping a lot of big egos tuned in and on the same page, which was pretty important for that group.

But he’s wasn’t a great game day coach.

11 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...whole damn color rush crap gives me "Butch From The Eastside" flashbacks......

Just imagine if they were flesh tone color rush... not that there’s anything wrong with that...

• Haha (+1) 1

As a lifelong WNYer and STH, I do not think we owe the Pegulas one penny to build a new stadium and if that means he packs up and take his team elsewhere, so be it. Decades of corporate welfare have gotten this region and its rank and file people where exactly? End it with a big fat no to the fracking king. He doesn't need the money, period. 

The stadium experience at NEF gets worse every year. The train horn is unbearable. You can't talk to people during commercials because they don't want to do anything other than listen to commercials at 150 dB and the concession prices are outrageous...I might have maybe one or two beers the entire year, never eat food because it sucks; they should be required to have drinking fountains and refilling stations (save me the fear-mongering about allowing refillable containers into the stadium, my old man used to bring in Thermos of hot chocolate) 

I think over time, the NFL is going to struggle to retain and grow fans. Less kids play and will play, except in the south where shots to the head don't have the same impact. Soccer, especially the EPL is a better sport, especially on TV. No roided up former players screaming ridiculously obvious hot takes passed off as "color analysis". Their pre-game, halftime, and post game shows are top notch affairs, again well spoken, intelligent, analytical takes at a standard volume, no Berman-esque stupidity aimed at children and frat boys. And the games take less than two hours of your time. Pick a team, tune in and enjoy. 

That is all. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, zonabb said:

As a lifelong WNYer and STH, I do not think we owe the Pegulas one penny to build a new stadium and if that means he packs up and take his team elsewhere, so be it. Decades of corporate welfare have gotten this region and its rank and file people where exactly? End it with a big fat no to the fracking king. He doesn't need the money, period. 

The stadium experience at NEF gets worse every year. The train horn is unbearable. You can't talk to people during commercials because they don't want to do anything other than listen to commercials at 150 dB and the concession prices are outrageous...I might have maybe one or two beers the entire year, never eat food because it sucks; they should be required to have drinking fountains and refilling stations (save me the fear-mongering about allowing refillable containers into the stadium, my old man used to bring in Thermos of hot chocolate) 

I think over time, the NFL is going to struggle to retain and grow fans. Less kids play and will play, except in the south where shots to the head don't have the same impact. Soccer, especially the EPL is a better sport, especially on TV. No roided up former players screaming ridiculously obvious hot takes passed off as "color analysis". Their pre-game, halftime, and post game shows are top notch affairs, again well spoken, intelligent, analytical takes at a standard volume, no Berman-esque stupidity aimed at children and frat boys. And the games take less than two hours of your time. Pick a team, tune in and enjoy. 

That is all. 

Yikes. Maybe next time don’t bother grabbing a ticket and save them for.... anyone other than yourself. Good lord dude. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Kyle Williams was over-rated. 

He was a very good player, but he was hyped up too much. I think the media latched onto him because he was the best player on some bad teams, and the people of Buffalo latched onto him for the whole blue collar/brings his lunch pail to work/does his job shtick. 

Initially I thought this, but; it was as if he continued to develop and improve for years.

I can only imagine how good he would have been had he been surrounded by better players, or even if his teams had better offenses to give the defense a break.

I don't listen to the TV announcers or watch pregame shows ever for any reason.  Even prime-time non-Bills games.

When I'm watching from home I watch football with the volume off on the TV. 

Usually I'll have the WGR stream on (or Sirius) to hear Murphy call the action a couple minutes behind what I've already seen. 

I'm almost as happy with a radio only feed as I am with both, I just love hearing the games called on the radio.

I have no use for the NFL TV shows they put on every week, it's just more programming.  I don't need that.

• Like (+1) 1