Your unpopular ideas

Virgil

3 hours ago, mannc said:

You do understand that there isn’t a true open market for NFL players, right?  

What “rights” do you think the players have asserted that they don’t deserve?

The players have the rights that they bargained for and accepted. They are also replaceable. Maybe not with 100% of their talent level, but people will line up to take their spots. 

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

When you look very closely, the NFL has a lot of dirt and blood hidden to go along with some pretty frightening skeletons in their closet.  I wish I didn’t love football so much and could just quit it. 

40 years ago I felt this way about boxing, loved watching it but wasn't very proud of that. No longer watch it. Now it's the way I feel about football, still love watching, especially the big hits, but being more aware of the permanent damage it has caused to so many makes me wish I didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

The players have the rights that they bargained for and accepted. They are also replaceable. Maybe not with 100% of their talent level, but people will line up to take their spots. 

The fact that the players are so highly paid (relative to the rest of the workforce) tells us that in fact they are not so easily replaced.  I don’t doubt that there are others who would willingly take their places, but they are quite simply not as good at what they do.  If nothing else, the NFL (and pro sports in general) is very close to a pure meritocracy.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They were protesting police brutality not the military or the flag, our idiot president successfully coopted the issue to fire up his (easily incited) base.

Hmm, a lot of NFL viewers hated the protesting well before any politician coopted the narrative.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

This is both random and probably stupid, but I was reading some articles today and found myself in the minority of what was being talked about.  It made me think of other things like.  So, for fun, what are some things that you feel in the minority about regarding the NFL?  Here are mine:

-The owners deserve whatever money share they want.  I know these guys are billionaires, but they still put the money out and created the league.  While people pay to see the players, none of its possible without that initial large investment so they deserve the biggest share.  If I were to open a business and my employees wanted more of the profits than I got because of their customer service, I’d think they were nuts. 

-It’s okay for the Colts fans to want season ticket refunds.  For starters, they are total asshats for booing Luck.  However, people bought a product based off an expectation.  Season tickets sales are typically higher for competitive teams unless you’re a stupid Bills fan.  The Colts just became a long shot to make the playoffs and thus, the product changed.  Does that not merit a refund?

-FF leagues that don’t feature the QB as the highest scoring position are dumb.  Name an NFL team that is a perennial winner without a quality QB?  I see these cheat sheets that have  QBs going in the 3rd round or auction values of $20 vs RB’s of $60.  Makes no sense to me. 

-Shady isn’t “done”.  But he’s no longer a top 15 back.  If he and singletary had the same carries this season, I don’t think the output would be different. Shady doesn’t make guys miss like before and just isn’t a difference maker.  I think a top 5 RB could get 1500 yards in this new offense.   Shady takes what he gets now. 

-Steve Tasker isn’t a hall of famer.  I loved the guy, but unless you are giving him credit for being one of the first players to make special teams roles seem important, he never broke the field.  I’m sorry, but I don’t get it. And honestly,  I’m not sold on Andre Reed except for the fact that he did it for so long.  He never really had eye popping seasons.  One year over 1300 yards.  

I’m sure there’s more, but it’s all I have right now.  I shall brace for impact. 

Btw, this is a great thread Virgil!!!! Thanks. :thumbsup::):thumbsup:

I hope that it doesn't get tarnished by lame political rants.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

The fact that the players are so highly paid (relative to the rest of the workforce) tells us that in fact they are not so easily replaced.  I don’t doubt that there are others who would willingly take their places, but they are quite simply not as good at what they do.  If nothing else, the NFL (and pro sports in general) is very close to a pure meritocracy.

With an average career lasting all of about three years, they are in fact easily replaced. Franchise QB might be the only exception, but even there....the Colts will march on. 

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Btw, this is a great thread Virgil!!!! Thanks. :thumbsup::):thumbsup:

I hope that it doesn't get tarnished by lame political rants.

Um, this is where we post our unpopular opinions yes Bill?  Put your pistol back in its holster.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

12 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

The Bills should bring back the red helmets.  Can't believe I'm in the minority on this.

100% agree.   Red pops on the field, in the stands, everywhere.   Red endzones, helmets etc.   The new blue endzones look sweet, but it's....blue.  And for those of you that are superstitious we had red endzones during our superbowl years.

My two dumb ideas are

1.    Put white stripes around the ball like in college.   80,000 fans watching the football's every move, some from VERY far away, and we make the thing 100% Mud Brown.  A camo color that doesn't reflect light and is hard to see.  The only reason it's that color is because that's the natural color of leather, not because it's the RIGHT color.  Personally I'd make the thing an entirely new color but at least keep the college white on the freaking ball.    Duh.

2.   Use sideline lasers to measure the goddamn first downs.  It will take 1 second to measure, be far more accurate and move the game along considerably faster.   Can you believe when we need to measure something precisely on the field we literally have two old guys with CHAINS tied to sticks hobble out on the field and try to determine if the ball went 10 yards.   They might as well be on horseback wearing armor or something.

A bright red laser line on the field will either be touching the ball or it won't be.  The end.  

If you watched the end of the Detroit preseason game you saw how much more time this new pass interference challenge call is going to make games.  It's a joke.  If a coach has a challenge at the end of the half or the game, even if it's remotely close they're just taking a flyer because they have nothing to lose.   The NFL gets another round of commercials and the fans have to sit there and watch a replay for something the refs didn't call in the first place and the coaches just figured "hey why not?"    Stuff like the laser measurements are a way to shorten the game from these extra silly reviews coming our way this season.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Um, this is where we post our unpopular opinions yes Bill?  Put your pistol back in its holster.

Never mind Coach. I accept your slur and will not respond. Go ahead, make this thread about politics and insults. You are probably very frustrated, but I have always looked forward to and respected your posts about and knowledge of football.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I was being sarcastic. :P I think it missed the mark.

• :bag::oops: Sorry about that.
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

Never mind Coach. I accept your slur and will not respond. Go ahead, make this thread about politics and insults. You are probably very frustrated, but I have always looked forward to and respected your posts about and knowledge of football.

What slur??