Retired FB LeRon McClain Pleads for Help, "I have to get my head checked."

Just now, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

You keep rooting for them on Sundays but not rooting for them once they retire; like I said very sad. Any why you are bringing up the military is beyond me.  The military vets deserve so much more than they are receiving and no one is even arguing that.

Because it is the SAME thing......  It is a Chosen path.

I do root for them in life.  What I dont root for is their sense of ENTITLEMENT.  There does that make it sound better?

For example this.....

His words "HOW FOOTBALL DID IT"  But then Profits off his Football Camps to kids???  Disingenuous isnt it?

1 hour ago, nucci said:

really?

Yea- you go get a normal job and own a house and car with few to no loans, right? 

That would have set set me up great for life as a 22 year old. I’m not saying he’s rich and never has to work. I’m saying he’s a college grad with a crazy amount of possibility at his finger tips with 6 figure wealth in his pocket.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

There's no way $200k sets you up for life

For real world life at 22 it goes a huge way to setting up a healthy prosperous life. He can go get himself a basic job and do FANTASTIC for himself with that head start. 

Not getting a yacht yacht and retiring but I can very quickly imagine the impact that zero student loans and a 6 figure bank account would have on my financial situation at 22. It’s a HUGE head start on most middle class folks 

Edited by NoSaint

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I do root for them in life.  What I dont root for is their sense of ENTITLEMENT.  There does that make it sound better?

For example this.....

His words "HOW FOOTBALL DID IT"  But then Profits off his Football Camps to kids???  Disingenuous isnt it?

It doesn't sound like you root for them in life when you say things like "Keep trying.  I Do NOT have ANY sympathy.  And I wont. "  Anyways, I have heard some things you have wrote about topics in the past that I agree on but just not this one.  It is obvious you have a thing for these guys making to much bank and basically this makes you not care as much about them and their health after retirement.  I think they make crazy money too but if it's not them then it would only be in the pockets of the owners.

33 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

For example this.....

He did not word this well at all, I agree. But parsing it a little bit I think the point to focus on is the “papers in our faces”. That’s not cool to make the guy (or any guy) jump through innumerable bureaucratic hoops to try to get the aid that’s been established for them. 

Probably not ideal for mcclain to take this public, but if he has no support system of his own to help him i understand it.

The NFL and a lot of fans don’t care (see the Mario thread).  That’s why these players should never stop getting every penny they can get. 

I will say certain positions are more likely to have this type of problems.  Fullback might be extinct pretty soon.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

It doesn't sound like you root for them in life when you say things like "Keep trying.  I Do NOT have ANY sympathy.  And I wont. "  Anyways, I have heard some things you have wrote about topics in the past that I agree on but just not this one.  It is obvious you have a thing for these guys making to much bank and basically this makes you not care as much about them and their health after retirement.  I think they make crazy money too but if it's not them then it would only be in the pockets of the owners.

Back to the Health. If football causes it as he says don’t you think he wouldn’t want to profit of kids in the sport?  If it was such an issue with him then why take to twitter and not just fill out the paper work. Ooo let me guess because he is a FB and not a QB the paperwork is more intensive and unfair to him. I call BS. 

You buy buy a house you fill out paperwork. When I left Military you should SEE the paperwork I had to fill out to get my disabilities looked at. Did I take to Twitter. Did I call out the Army. No I DID what was needed to get my benefits 

7 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

He did not word this well at all, I agree. But parsing it a little bit I think the point to focus on is the “papers in our faces”. That’s not cool to make the guy (or any guy) jump through innumerable bureaucratic hoops to try to get the aid that’s been established for them. 

Probably not ideal for mcclain to take this public, but if he has no support system of his own to help him i understand it.

I suggest he talk to a Veteran about paperwork. 

Easy you want your benefit fill out your paperwork don’t B word about the paperwork 

Edited by MAJBobby

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Their Choice to play. And we’re justly Compensated. They knew what they were signing up for. 

Now thats a compassionate statement right there, makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy just reading it.... concern for ones fellow man much??

Semper Fi  Major..... 

Edited by Don Otreply

5 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Yeah, but that *&#t was warm........

Not to make light of the CTE situation. It's real and it's not going away. I still am dumbfounded that NFL players don't have FULL lifetime healthcare. It's a crime.

They should have lifetime care. I’m NOT a hater, but they could have it....at some cost in negotiations. I guess most opt for money now over healthcare later. They know the game is dangerous. Sometimes we have to be protected from ourselves. Horribly sad. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

This entire thread is a very good ad for quitting TBD and the internet as a whole.

This thread was your breaking point for the internet??? ?

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

They should have lifetime care. I’m NOT a hater, but they could have it....at some cost in negotiations. I guess most opt for money now over healthcare later. They know the game is dangerous. Sometimes we have to be protected from ourselves. Horribly sad. 

For some of these players, this is their escape from where they grew up and their chance to change their families’ lives.  I also thought that Dareus reached his pinnacle playing for Alabama and winning a championship for his home state. A lot of players don’t like the nfl and it’s just a 9 to 5.  You know the risks but you also know you can make more money in a short time than almost any other field. 

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

For some of these players, this is their escape from where they grew up and their chance to change their families’ lives.  I also thought that Dareus reached his pinnacle playing for Alabama and winning a championship for his home state. A lot of players don’t like the nfl and it’s just a 9 to 5.  You know the risks but you also know you can make more money in a short time than almost any other field. 

ABSOLUTELY true for so many. What fascinates me is those who grew up with more significant means, cripple their futures playing the game, and decades later say they would make the same decision. Chris Simms literally almost DIED playing the game! 

I’ll miss Andrew Luck, but I also respect a guy who walked away from hundreds of millions of dollars after considering his health. It may be equal parts health concerns  and frustration, but that’s tough to do. It would be easy to sit on IR for $30 mil. Maybe it helped that he came from a family of means and had gazillions already, or he’s just smarter than everyone else in the room......but that’s not easy to walk away from. 

I get for some of these guys it seems like the ONLY path, and that’s terribly sad. I hope they have proper guidance and find the strength to do the right thing when the injuries start to pile up. I guess the good news is, a lot of guys set themselves up for life and seem to live a fairly normal life as they move on. 

• Like (+1) 2

I have to wonder if football can remain as is because of all the head injuries. Massive migraines, memory loss, ED, etc. Fewer collisions? Maybe something closer to flag football? I don't know, but attitudes towards this issue are changing as more is learned about the damage done. Perhaps we'll see more guys opting to play noncontact sports like hoops or baseball. Why not? They can still make the same kind of money without risking such debilitating injuries. At least the risk is much lower.

Let's pump the brakes on collision sports (you think the lawyers are stopping at Football) being in peril.  

At the very least, the things the "experts" are telling them to do that are ruinin.....I mean making the game safer will need 20 years to see if they made a difference.  

On 8/26/2019 at 12:27 PM, aristocrat said:

Can you explain how they found it in people that have never had a head injury?  They know it exists they just don’t know what the exact cause is. Could be head injuries could be something else. 

Send links I’ll be happy to read where you got this information from. 

This stuff goes sideways with Kids. It all stops if the youth leagues and high schools start to get involved and realistically, hard to imagine that doesn’t happen eventually. Anybody who played at any level wanted that knock out shot highlight. It’s cemented into the game at every level. If you don’t believe me watch Ronnie Lott’s kid just drop another pee wee player with a home run shot. What did you think Lott’s coach said? His teammates? His father? Maybe you should have held up a bit? Hell no. It was all go team butt slaps.